"Graphic Novels" aka Comic Books ;) - any suggestions?

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Morning (afternoon there!).

I've always been a rabid fan of 2000AD and Alan Moore, Frank Miller etc etc yadda yadda.

Not really read much for a long time though due to Real Life (tm).

I recently had a nostalgia blast and picked up Watchmen and V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (both fantastic, just as I remembered). Anything similar to these would be great.

Am after buying a few more and not really sure what to get. There are some HUGE comic stores here and its a bit bewildering with all the choice on offer.

I was wondering whether to get Ronin by Frank Miller...

I was also thinking about picking up a few superhero books like Dark Knight Returns (not mega bothered about Batman but love Frank Miller) - anything you can recommend?

I remember the comic CRISIS from the late 80s...that been made into any books?

Finally (phew), I'd like to read the Spidey comics when Venom appeared - can anyone help me out as to which collection (essential spidey #whatever) theyre in?

TIA!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Just bought a load of graphic novels, so here's what I'd recommend from them:

Planetary (all of them)
Supreme Power
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (all of them)
Queen & Country (all of them)
DK & DK2 are great

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Dark Knight Returns is a classic, the sequel is pants. if you like Frank Miller, then yes, Ronin is excellent (and hasn't dated much despite being over 20 years old), you should also try Sin City and maybe Hard-Boiled (Geoff Darrow) if you can find it.

Crisis has had some of the stories made into trade paperbacks over the years (Third World War springs to mind) but I'm not sure any are still in print; if they are then check Titan Books.

As for Spidey, I personally think the Ultimate Spider-Man series is the best version for a long time, and the Ultimates is a really good revision of the Avengers comics (its got a black Nick Fury, but it works).

Stuff to watch out for right now; Wanted by Mark Millar is good, but hasn't been collected into a tpb yet.

The other 'must haves' are The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Preacher.

Gowen DownTpub

Fledgling Freddie
I Read some Sin city Graphic novels, back in the early 90's, from what i can remember they were really quite good, also read a Terminator graphic novel called "Hunter Killers" not sure who it was written by but enjoyed that alot too. :-D

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks a lot for the replies! :D

Looks like I'll scoop League, Ronin, DKR and take a look at Planetary (not heard of that before ta) and then check out the rest as soon as poss.

Any excuse to splash some cash ;)

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I liked the first League graphic novel, but the second one was, umm, a little bizarre. I had read the first one and loaned it to my girlfriend's little brother ... stupidly enough I bought the second one when we were outshopping and let him borrow it to read it first. Very. Silly. Mistake.

Not really the sort of stuff an 11 year old should be reading, unless you are trying to raise the next Charles Manson :eek:

Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra is pretty good, and I also have a couple of the Ultimate X-Men novels which are good fun.

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
Another vote for Planetary. I managed to stumble across the first two trade paperbacks and was completely blown away. Also, again, The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller is great as is Preacher.

I really enjoyed the early Hellblazer story arcs some of which are collected in Original Sins, Dangerous Habits and Fear and Loathing. Also Mike Carey's take on Satan in Lucifer was pretty good last time I checked.

Finally, I guess no comic book recommended list would be complete without mentioned either Akira or Neil Gainman's Sandman both of which are pretty well established as classics.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno...I didn't really like the Ultimates! Betsy Ross dating Freddy Prinze Jr? WTF?! I did like teh Hulk pounding the snot out of Thor though...uppity norse god needs to get a reality check!

I kinda liked the Ultimate Spidey series but they can't really compare with the original...EVER! Anyone who disagrees should be burnt at the stake and then fed to starving wild dogs!! :eek:

Err...I can't think of any other graphic novels I've read. Been a long time since I picked one up.

Fusion

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not into superhero comics, but I can highly recomend the following:
  • Preacher - Garth Ennis
  • Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis
  • The Sandman - Neil Gaiman
  • The Invisibles - Grant Morrison
Incidently they are all published by DC/Vertigo, have finished story arcs and have British authors.

And I have no idea what to read myself now that I have read all of the above :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom