GOt skills?

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
1st! and omg dumpert! (just so we had that :p)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
thats awesome!

Im a bike noob, so that peddaling backwards is awesome, hows that done? I swear you cant do that on a normal bike?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
3:10 is the backflip at the tree... which wasn´t that impressive IMO. The stunt after that was cool though.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Fecking awesome. 3:10 looked like a McTwist to me. Pretty impressive. I could only wish to have those skills.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
that's pretty awesome. I stand in complete awe of the fence ride. I once saw my personal bike hero Ryan Leech ride across a chain, and thought it didn't get any more rad than that. he just makes it look so effortless, as does that guy in the dumpert vid. so mad props to him.

YouTube - Trials - Ryan Leech

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Im a bike noob, so that peddaling backwards is awesome, hows that done? I swear you cant do that on a normal bike?
It's a fixie. The bike doesn't have a freewheel or gears, just a back cog directly attached to the wheel, so when you pedal it backwards the wheel goes back.

Can't see it at work guessing it's the guy sat on his handlebars riding about backwards.

Fixies are very trendy thing in London atm everyone rides them not sure why. :(

leviathane

Part of the furniture
ye been thinking of whacking one on my bmx, but then again i think hmm cba to spend any more money :)

Marc

FH is my second home
I cant believe someone said "rad" in this thread!! Is it 1980 again :D

TdC

It's a fixie. The bike doesn't have a freewheel or gears, just a back cog directly attached to the wheel, so when you pedal it backwards the wheel goes back.

Can't see it at work guessing it's the guy sat on his handlebars riding about backwards.

Fixies are very trendy thing in London atm everyone rides them not sure why. :(

er no, that trials bike is certainly not a fixie. due to the nature of trials, I'd almost say that riding a fixie would be impossible. however you also have fixie mountainbikers (aka nutters) these days so who am I to claim anything :) however you are correct in your fixie definition.

what he is riding is a regular freehub. ergo, when the bike rolls backwards, his cranks turn in reverse. he has to backpedal or just let his legs be pushed around to control this.

what you do have in the bike scene, is something called a freecoaster freecoaster hub. this is a special hub that declutches when the wheel rolls in reverse, and coasts when the wheel rolls forward, eg it only engages when the pedals are engaged.

a fixie on the other hand, is a one-speed bike with a fixed rear hub, like you say, pedal forwards and you move forward, pedal backwards (from standing) and you move backwards. they tend to be extremely minimal bikes, and much loved in the courier crowd because of the minimal maintenance. this bike is the one you see the cool kids pedalling backwards on, usually in a backwards spiral.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
er no, that trials bike is certainly not a fixie. due to the nature of trials, I'd almost say that riding a fixie would be impossible. however you also have fixie mountainbikers (aka nutters) these days so who am I to claim anything :) however you are correct in your fixie definition...

a fixie on the other hand, is a one-speed bike with a fixed rear hub, like you say, pedal forwards and you move forward, pedal backwards (from standing) and you move backwards. they tend to be extremely minimal bikes, and much loved in the courier crowd because of the minimal maintenance. this bike is the one you see the cool kids pedalling backwards on, usually in a backwards spiral.
Ah my bad, thought it was another vid doing the round atm, will have a look when I get home. Notice alot of fixies in London, some people can clearly ride em and get good use out of em, but they are also a bit of a fad to mince around on.

There's some chap I see with the typical fixie on my commute, coloured tyres, chopped down bars w/the seat nearly a foot higher, one jean leg rolled up etc. kk fair enuff. But he wheels his bike up the hill every morning, I overtake him on foot... :/

TdC

Ah my bad, thought it was another vid doing the round atm, will have a look when I get home. Notice alot of fixies in London, some people can clearly ride em and get good use out of em, but they are also a bit of a fad to mince around on.

There's some chap I see with the typical fixie on my commute, coloured tyres, chopped down bars w/the seat nearly a foot higher, one jean leg rolled up etc. kk fair enuff. But he wheels his bike up the hill every morning, I overtake him on foot... :/

haha in that case he's a fixie noob. because you only have one fixed gear, you *have* to attack hills. it's an awesome workout! though ofc, when couriers chop their handlebars, they're doing it to give themselves a narrower profile to fit between traffic and peds better, but for climbing you're better off with a wider set of bars :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom