Goodbye, QW has some memories:)

O

old.Term

ahh hello, just registered on this forum

neway i just wanted to add some thoughts, altho judging my the amount of posts in this qw section of the forum not many people will read this

Just sayin that after a good few years of playin qw, man it must be about 5, i am throwing in the towel, deleting it off my pc, never to play it again

Anyway, what started out as just an addictive game has introduced me to a whole host of things that has made being online a lot more fun that just surfing and chatting to underage girls on compuserve....

I must thank that guy called sujoy roy first off, heh well in the beginning when i was a q95 noob, i stumbled onto his old style www (neone remember, u had to scroll sideways to read, and it was in an awful red color), his site introduced me to irc.... From there on i became to know the then gods of qw... timber cenobite ettu, sujoy nightwing, razza ... i remember as a 15 year old, watching them duel on dm4 was wicked hehe..

neways i moved from q95 to qw and played and played and even got quite good at the old bw ffa , remmeber those old skool map rotations :), neways in these old days irc was fun, i just used to hang out in #quake.uk, #4kings, basically being an immature teen :)...

i guess i was just another face in the crowd, as qw was at its peak, and i only really knew my clan mates and i played more than i chatted on irc...

My most enjoyable time in qw tho was prolly when it started to die.. getting matches and games was hard and it meant talkin to people more, now i knew some first names , so far that i made some cool chaps online, that mad scottish old skool player Matsui , Blitz, Clark, Chad, Gibbs, , Uberfrag, Corax, HT, rags , sheep, sae, chojin... also the characters of quake were cool, u had the teens (yeti ahem ), and storm who had a whole category to himself...

i;m sure i have missed some people out , but there are too many to name...

neway i have moved onto that gay game counterstrike hopefully to make some new online mates and play some wicked games but topping qw memories will be tough (playing as the only modemer in bw ffa and coming top ! ) :)...

thats my two cents, gimme some replies and say hello in #a2k.cs from time to time

ciao

O

old.blitz

wtf?!

you put matsui before me, no wonder you play CS !
:>>

C

cenobite

Ah memories they are so good. Be hard to top the old atmosphere of Quake1 for so many reason. For one thing it was new to alot of people (I was already used to online doom2'ing) and there were not really that many people playing it. FFA'ing on 3secs and :) server with lots of players and they got used to knowing each other.

The main reason I think for the good times was the lack of the l33t factor. It was'nt everything to have people think you were the best. Whereas now lots of people think they are something if they are good at a game. Think we can all face facts now and see that being the best at quake is worth the square root of fuck all. Other than bad eyesight and terrible social skills :D

I was cured! !:clap:

O

old.matsui

What a good time we had

Firstly id like to say owned tobe! :)

I still remember the day back in school when my m8 (kran) went to me u ever pld quake? and as u all know how the social life then suffered :). Some of my best memorys of QW was the big 10v10 games that were on every night with everyone playing, from sujoy,ceno to people like kran,bob and newbies like myself. everyone joined in and no one complained about ping it was just about enjoying a truely once in a life time game. Well Im sadly finnaly calling it a day also and movin on to CS with Term. Id just like to take the chance to say thanks to all the people i have met and pissed of in my qw carear u know who u are. Heres a page few of a few screenies of my favourtie memorys. Theres one for term and ceno and a few from biflan. anyway CYAS!

Lastly id like to say owned tobe! :)screenies

O

old.matsui

a special mention

id also like to make a special mention to clk and term for
"i missed this guys"
"theres a sexy wet girl in my hall"
"sgt 4234234234-months"
and
"models"

P.S Kelly is calling for u chad

H

HangTime

heh, term you are one of the earliest people I can remember from QW back when i started in jan '99. playing as Term-HQ or similar you seemed pretty good back then in the modem days on freeserve ffa etc. in those days i would have like a few players in my mind i held as as being the best just from my newbie experiences and who could win a few maps.

one of the things i respected you for (well ok, the only thing :p) was that unlike most people you would just get on and play the game on bwffa, never moaning about pings and cheating aimbot cunt0rs etc. 99% of modem players moan about connections but i cant remember you ever doing that. In fact you were one of the few modem players who would "scare" me in a game of ffa. you finally got a good connection after all this time and left for cs, gg :)

Anyone here's a potential desktop background screenshot to remind you of those happy QW days... http://www.daddied.com/hangtime-/termowns.jpg

I might try and run another megagame or two in the near future, hope to see you guys back for that. deleting qw is no excuse, its only small!

O

old.matsui

pld with screenie, i would dig out our one wr V dn screenie but it to good to show. Hope to see DN and WR back one day in another game, roll on qw2002/3/4/5/6/7/8

C

chodak

its sad when you think back to what qw was like a few years ago. i remember joining the scene and getting an offer to join the 'boys of grangemouth' (BoG), it was absolutely hilarious. we had a maniac leader, fireblade, and noone liked us. yet we had the funniest evenings, and it was so much fun to play.
when i finally got my own connection i used to play on bwffa all the time, and same as ht i recall thinking that term was amazing. i couldnt help but wonder how he could possibly play so well on a modem connection.
i don't think its ever worth deleting qw, cause its great to have the option of playing a game occasionally, when the withdrawal symptoms kick in. i seem to remember wanting to quit qw many times but finding it far too hard cause its so addictive, but thesedays seeing a gf all day everyday and with the scene in the uk pretty much all gone, i personally just stoping playing without realising.
always a shame when another talented player leaves the scene, have fun playing cs!

(actually this got me reminiscing about the oldish qw days. best things i think were; BoG's method of trialling you for the clan, which involved you vs 4 BoG players on dm2 for 10 minutes. the idea was to show your character, but Mincepie beat them 10-8. I always always enjoyed the ukpl, what a rocking idea to play 4v4v4v4 i think it was. i loved this period because i had started to understand qw a little and could sometimes get a high finish (in div 4). the earliest games i can remember are vs Q7 on uk2, getting crucified and not understanding why - the reason was corax (possibly the finest modemer?). Then fireblade killed BoG for the millionth time, and chojin persuaded me to join XZ, and thats where we had some great times and actually became a pretty good team - blitz, falc, doc etc.. after that i played for 2 team very briefly; sf, who were once good, but they let me in the clan but wouldnt even let me have ops (zzz cunts) and then vq with mike and paul which was a laugh.
in my recollection however, the greatest period of time for me personally was playing with tsw (ukcl, quakelords etc). we even won the quakelords! and i managed to win the division wireplay ffa title one season too. i think after season 10 or so though, thats when the ukcl finally finished and qw has gone european ever since.)
i don't buy games anymore because nothing ever matches up to qw, anyway enough rambling!

O

oldman

clearly claranet warzone 3 was the best qw evar '99

G

gibbs

hah flower you gimplet, have fun playing cs im sure ill end up playing it one day in the near future (for real this time) been nice playing quake with you also, i admire the way you get on with the game and dont take note of all the distractions that myself and others ramble on about all the time :D

yeh i remember playing all the old games etc, watching timber get owned by erebus at 12am on a school nite *shock*. its not like that anymore tho... shame.... highlights include listening to sheep ramble on or to morph trying to be philosophical..

A

*Arqz*

/me cries

it's all so sad :(

I didn't get into qw until after q2 was out, so I missed out on so much history it seems. I feel sad when I see all the dead QW sites on Planetquake, or others around the internet - ghosts of a bygone era, never to return again. The world of games has changed, and it seems there are helluva lot more llamas these days. Well, you don't know what you have until you've buried its rotting corpse, but I'm not going to lay QuakeWorld to rest just yet. No, FuhQuake will ensure it lives forever.

D

danger

Originally posted by chodak
<SNIP>Playing for BoG<SNIP>

Yeah I remember the legendary BoG when I played for TGC for a while... we had somewhat of a rivalry with you for a while ;)

That was before leaving and joining TC and eventually McM before quitting QW in 2000 due to personal reasons :(

I don't really remember the UKPL.. I played a few times before leaving... but it was a replacement for the QFFL IIRC which was a legendary league... run by ol' flamey. A found memory in particular was when he chose to have one round on the erm secret map, you know the Zero-G map.... That was just insane 4x4x4x4 on a map with no gravity hehe...

I have memories of starting out playing Netquake on a 14.4 modem in 96 heh and yes I used to moan about it alot... the upgrade to a 56k a year later was about as great an improvement as my recent upgrade to DSL....

man QW was good we had some good controversial community wide debates too... FB skins, SG scripts, the orriginal aimbots, would BW get a new switch or would the scene go down the pan (thankfully they did)...

I played alongside some great players such as, Weed, Skinner, Jimbob, Sheep, Pump and made some great friends doing it...

My only regret is I never mastered that irritating ledge to RL room jump on DM3 or the ledge to ledge jump on e4m3 heh....

I 'spose some thanks are in order:

Bif: for great dedication to admin work and making the UKCL so great...

Ceno: Well KTeams and the MCW spring to mind but I'm sure you did more I can't remember... cheers guys

oh oh and I doubt he'll read it but the legend himself:
Slayer: without tits2, A9 and Uk2, QW would of been a much drabber place!

errm Minos for orriginally hosting the first master.. Ted + DBs obviously... errrm oh yeah Coredump for starting the UKNCC, while I only played there for one season it was a great training ground!

Oh yeah Flame... The QFFL was soo much fun it was kinda the equivalent of Action Cricket :)

+ anyone else who contributed to the scene who I've forgotten

:cheers:

/Ed: I nearly forgot one other memory.. TEH PHONE BILLS! arrrgh man I remember getting major bollockings off my parents for some of them lol £250 for a couple heh.... I was 12 when I started playing QW and 16 when I gave up!

N

)nick(

Yeah QW was and still is the best hardcore FPS game out there. I've completely given up on playing QW a couple of years back as I just don't have that competitive urge, and reflexes, I did back then.

I'm now happily playing MMORPGs like DAOC :)

My nick on QW was Mean Machine and I played for Denial and Empire of Azeroth.

M

mr_anders0n

Heads up!

Best thing I remember about QW was the big games and, in particular, the Christmas big games when about 15 people had variations on the name Santa Claus.

I also remember (and some of you might too) that I actually started off playing QW with a mouse and joystick. It caused quite a bit of curiosity at the LAN events I went to. I'm happy to say that I'm cured now, and can offer advice to anyone thinking of going down that path (as if): don't.

I still play the odd QW game now, mainly CA, although hopefully once I get broadband ($!!*&$£ BT) I'll jump onto some Euro servers.

Term I always remember you as a superb modem player, and one of the last. It would be nice to bump into you in another game sometime: I mainly play RTCW atm, but I'll probably get into UT when it comes out.

Anyways, shouts out to all the old timers, no point in posting names here there's just too many, but you know who you are :)

EmryS

F

fusi0n

Anyone know my mate Orfeo? He used to play with Matsui I think before he moved down here.

C

CyberSharky

Goodbye and good luck

Hello Term,

You may/may not remember me but I certainly remember you!!
I was on ISDN at that time and always complanied that my ping was too high...After watching you I realised that ping was not really an issue just damn good playing!

I used to be in the ffa's alot and was always getting fragged from you and others, clarkus,razza,blitz,dynamic and hangtime to name but a few but even though I was re-spawning more than getting frags I still thoroughly enjoyed those games. I am saddened to hear of your leaving quakeworld it was players like yourself that really made it what it is today.

I have not played for many months due to personal reasons but am going to put quake back on my hard-drive and go and have some fun (providing there are still some servers out there).

Well good luck Term all the best

Cybershark

B

badboy_1

God its been a while since Ive had a game of QW. I used to run a clan called DGB, I dont know if anyone will remember it. We were in MCW Div 1/2 and UKCL div 1/2/3 for the four or so years we were playing.

Its true what everyone has been saying about the atmosphere just not existing in other online games. Does anyone remember the massive FFA's we used to have till the early hours of the morning with 32 people or the problems on the servers before big UKCL games with colours, pings and skins etc... The MCW games were always a laugh with everyone getting disconnected for various different reasons.

Its a shame there doesnt appear to be any active servers around anymore because I think they would do quite well with such a strong old school following for the game, if they were properly publicised. Ive been reading about the release of Quake 4 lately, lets hope it isnt as dismal as the second and third ones.

Well if anyone does remember us let me know, ive got hundreds of screenshots from the old days and demos. And its true, shame on you for deleting quake its only 100 megs :)

H

HangTime

Badboy: you can find active servers using all seeing eye from www.udpsoft.com/eye . The scene is pretty european now but pings to be/nl/de/fr/dk are fine. There are nearly always people on axes4all ffa ( quake.xs4all.nl ).

Good sites to check out are www.quakeworld.nu (news site with forums etc, links section is excellent) and www.fuhquake.net for the latest client (proxies aren't needed anymore).

My quake dir is over 5gig btw, not 100meg :)

edit: for some movie action check out http://qwmovies.does.it . FDE2, DDE2 and BEF-HI are definitely worth checking out if you have a broadband connection.

C

Claw

ahhh qw :)

yah I remember those days well :)

LOL Chodak I especially remember laughing my boll*cks off when mincepie spanked us on dm2, man that was funny :)
(Besides we all know how he did it, he had an aimbot! :p )

I stopped playing QW a while ago and switched to Q3 we played as BoG for a while then reformed as ESP, had some good games too :)

Good times, good community & loads of laughs (and how many QW leagues were there running back in those days?)

P

pibakic

I remember DGB!

In fact, think I've placed against most of TGC/McM/TC.

Used to play as Target in The Loughborough Confederation (LoC), with darFF, Sozo, Storm and the rest - I believe we made it into Div 1 of the MCW in the last year that I played. Fun times. Really doubt that anyone remembers us tho!

UKQFFL was hilarious, I was playing with a 28.8 modem and a p133 with no 3d acceleration. Glutton for punishment. Though I think I got my share of frags. Damnit, gotta dig out that old HD with all my recorded demos and screenies on it.

Seems to be all gone now though, shame.

Bring back QW!

Pib.

P.S. Never realised that FB skins were that bad. Oops.

Users who are viewing this thread