Good template for infiltrator?

O

old.Smart.

Could you give me some hints on how to spec an infiltrator?

Thanks,

Smart

B

Brannor McThife

Try this.

I think this belongs under the help section.

It'll help you decide what to do. In the end, it's YOUR choice.

-G

O

old.Smart.

Thanks! That was a good link! :)

But what I really can't get into my (thick) skull is how Dual Wield is related to Thrust (which is the weapons style I'm using)??

Is it simply enough to train in Dual Wield, or do I have to get some levels into Thrust, to be effective in melee??

/Smart

K

krait

Thrust raises your minimum damage
Critical raises your maximum damage
Dual wield adds a small percentage increase at every level for your off-hand weapon to hit as well.......i'm not sure what the starting chance is,but it could be 20% chance with 0.5% per each level raised (these are estimates,but fairly close)
This would give you at DW50 only 45% chance for the second weapon to hit....not worth speccing in at all.

Hope it helps you...but the choice will always be yours :)

S

Sarnat

Bzzz! Wrong!

Speccing in thrust reduces the damage variance you do with normal attacks (not sure how it's related to CS styles). CS raises your damage with CS styles. Dual wield raises your chance to hit with both weapons.

If you spec 50 DW you can get up to 62.5% chance of swinging both weapons (there is a level based bonus to DW chance, plus the bonus from skill).

IMO, it's worth speccing in DW, thrust and CS, with CS being highest, then, very close after CS, thrust and last DW. However, do not forget stealth and envenom either.

If you want, you can forget DW untill you reach higher levels and start doing half dings (you get extra spec points every half levels after 40).

N

)nick(

50 thrust,
39/44 CS,
36 Stealth,
36/37 envenom,
Rest in DW

NEXT!

F

Flimgoblin

cookie... cookiecookie cutter (to the tune of the goodies, or the maynards wine gum advert...)

Dual wield is fun :) but probably not worth speccing in a whole load as an infiltrator...

could be interesting to roll a mercitrator ;) (shadowzerkers are ace... mercitrators are non-existant.. what does this tell you about left axe compared to dual wield? :))

B

Brannor McThife

Well, I've given some thought to an infiltrator I might make oneday, and come up with the following.

45 stealth - I know there's a lot of +stealth items, just with this, I don't need to ensure that I'm wearing them and nothing else.

33 thrust (only post 40) - ASSASSIN, means STAB, and RUN! ;)

40 envenom (Keep it at 4/5) - Wear Envenom items (hence not the stealth items) because switching lots of Env items is insane... :D

50 CS - I said, ASSASSIN

5 dual wield - Got some points left over.

A friend of mine is building on this platform, and I've watched him do some nice damage with CS and Env at his present level. Besides, I see infiltrators as assassins, not swashbucklers. But that's my view. ;)

-G

O

old.LandShark

Cry cookiecutter if you will, but you will still be stealthing, walking up to people and using perforate artery. Not having 50thrust for dragonfang may make your spec sheet look different, but to everyone else it'll just look like a cookiecutter inf that's too dumb to spec right for it.
No offence intended btw, but intentionally weakening a character to avoid cookiecutterism, when it'll look to all the world like a cookiecutter anyway, is a bit silly :)

Oh and btw, when you do a CS style with thrust weapons, i thought the thrust spec raised minimum dmg? Or at least raises the lower edge of your overall variance
Cookiecutters are thus for a reason - they're better than the others a lot of the time. :)
Now, with 1.50 see hidden coming, and thus a lot of minstrels either speccing or planning-to-respec to lower stealth values, i think your inf could sacrifice a fair bit of stealth in favour of high CS, or higher natural envenom, or more dual wield? I understand that with diminshing returns, low 20's is about the best stopping point for DW spec on an inf- any mercs/infs able to give us some numbers on why that is?

O

old.smurflord

This is also something close to my heart as I am currently building an infil (lvl 21 so far). As far as I can see the specc I am going for is:
40 - Stealth
40 - slash
50 - Critical Strike
40 - Envenom
5 - Dual Wield

Yeah, I know slash is not great against healers, but I'm going after hunters and shadowblades. Besides, Jambiyas and sabres just look too damn stylish.:D

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Cry cookiecutter if you will, but you will still be stealthing, walking up to people and using perforate artery. Not having 50thrust for dragonfang may make your spec sheet look different, but to everyone else it'll just look like a cookiecutter inf that's too dumb to spec right for it.
No offence intended btw, but intentionally weakening a character to avoid cookiecutterism, when it'll look to all the world like a cookiecutter anyway, is a bit silly :)

I'm a fan of breaking cookies :)
but I'm weird...

Lurikeen Champion (not that weird I suppose... but funny)
Mercenary (least popular tank) with lots of parry (which noone seems to like)
Earth wizard
Cabalist (nuff said)

Melee Hunter (tho I think there's some fairly popular templates out there like this.. but hey I'm playing in german and the pet lions are cool ;))

So don't ask me for advice on speccing if you want a good char :)
I'll jsut tell you to avoid the cookies and hence gimp yerself ;)

O

old.Smart.

Hmm, the link Brannor gave in his first reply (this) had some interesting stuff to say about stealth...
And weapons speed. The link to the VN boards was very interesting, and it gave me a headache... :)

I think a minimum of 45 in stealth (read the guide...)
50 in CS
and maybe 35 in Envenom and Thrust
the rest, about 16, in DW

hmmmm....

K

krait

My eventual template (maybe,times could change) will be :-

Stealth 36 (50)
Thrust 50
CS 42 (?)
Env 37 (50)
DW 18

It involves autoing stealth to 16/20 and using the epic armours as well as getting realm rank to lev4.......looks good on paper anyway ;)

B

Brannor McThife

Yes Krait...but you will be owned in the Battlegrounds with low stealth...

Nowadays, you have to plan your progress to L50 as well, not just AT L50.

Thinking L24.
Hmm...
Stealth 21 (+4 at least from items...maybe more)
Envenom 22 (Sufficient...and if you're lucky then you can get higher)
CS 21 PA...nuff said.

Rest all baseline + items.

-G

K

krait

I wo'nt be going to the BGs until lev 21 anyway (PA :D ) and i've also saved some points to put into stealth when i get to 20 as well as having some +stealth items in ye olde vault :D

Now all i need to do is begin levelling him again :)

M

Myshra

l24 template:

19stealth
18ev
21CS
17slash
0DW

gives: PA, good slash overall damage, useful poisons, some good styles to use in groups. auto stealth till 24 for this template.

l50 template:

39stealth
41ev
39CS
50slash
5DW

ill hit 50 with stealth, and evenom to get lifebane, 50 slash gives mega high damage of a 2 slash chain, 39 CS gives the PA chain.

B

Brannor McThife

Useful poisons...but not the best you can get at that level, you miss out on the more powerful ones, but, still. A good template, making use of a few free stealth points. Not many Envenom items out there...quite a few stealth, few envenom.

Your template looks like you plan to melee a lot. As I said, I don't. ;)

-G

M

Myshra

to survive i was very cautious in what to get in terms of bonus' and armour at lvl 24, but having a lvl 4x alt helps a lot :)

a full suit of molded leather from catacombs which you can farm from the greens at the entrance, AF58/60 gives a mega amout of con, +30 no less. skip the boots though, and use the catskin OTD ones from snowdonia, get someone in your guild to do this, as its lvl 25+.

replace the leggins with a pair of spiderweave ones as these are +15con

for weaponry, get yourself a pair of knifeman daggers, best ones are silver imo, 2.5spd 9dps. the gold and platinum ones are faster, but same dps, i prefer slighty harder hitting weapons. for my opener, a enchanted player made (hendrick no less) fine alloy bastard sword for maximum damage.

this is some may say, over twinking, but the leather drops are so common in catacombs its easy to get the parts you need, the knifeman daggers came from a lvl 35 scout in my guild who farmed em for xp.

for items and such, to max stealth i advise wearing: cloak of shades(+2), catskin boots(+2) and your 15 epic jewel(+1)
the jewel of the prowler is +2 stealth, but your capped at 5 so theres no need.

getting two knifeman daggers results in max slash already as each is a mega +4 slash.

other weapons while your leveling up to try and use: pair of jagged axes (quest, i used em from 10-15, excellent weapons), a pair of bloodied short swords (quest again, the second part of the first, used them from 15-18) a pair of dark short swords from keltoi (18-20) and then the knifeman daggers.

the lvl 20 epic boots are crap, as +evade doesn't work (says so on herald) so junk em and wear the catskin ones from lvl 21 when they turn orange.

one i turn 24 ill have about 490hp, which for an assasin is not bad :) imagine what im like with my guild mates buffs in there! coming to thid soon, meepy the scout with suzanne following

incidentaly, if anyone wants a pair of jagged axes (think i still got both these) or the pair of bloodied short swords, or the pair of dark short swords msg Myshra or suzanne ingame. id really only like to give one of the quest items to each person, so you can do the quest yourself to get the other (plus the xp of those quests is great), but anyone who wants em can have the dark short ones from keltoi.

and thats how to twink and make an infil in albion.

as for evenom capping to 50: epic gloves give +ev, so does a jewel from DF (+5 no less) and some other parts of the epic do also, as do some weapons if i get em pre 1.49

R

Rolith DeJeun

<creeps quietly into the room.>
managed to organise a group of six people last night. Me being of the 29th season, a mercenary guildmate of the 32nd. And four very helpful 40+ people.

Spent over and hour tracking down Cheshire. But 6 guildmates now have lovely Cat Hide Boots.

:clap:

D

Derric

37 stealth 43 thrust 50 CS 40 envenom 11 DW works fine.
:)

D

Derric

I don't get why you want to have a style based on evade insted of a higher CS cap..assassins should use PA..and if you use PA you continue with CD..after that Dragonfang can't be used.
Sure..could be a great style if you're wandering around without stealth and gets jumped or if the guy you PA has a friend coming...but naah..I rather have a higher CS cap than a style based on something completely random :)

K

kr0n

Then again, 4 CS rises your cap with about 15-20 :) At least with high thrust you cap all the time ;)

L

listepik

Im tempted, Derric, but then again, i looove to melee :p

Myshra's template, is very similar to mine :D , altho, i considered skipping slash at 44-ish, since realm ranks and weapons add alot to it. that would allow CS to go a wee bit higher.

oh, and envenom. well. its great, and it sucks.

Its usually what decide the battle, but oh dear lord its annoying to use

S

Sarnat

Poisons can be used from the quickbar after 1.51. No more annoying to use. Except maybe if you need to use 2 poisons or something... or 3 to get one on your 2hander.

L

listepik

i know, but at the time we get 1.51 i have killed every opponent twice, and i imagine i will spend more time on the smallies :p

D

Derric

The annoying about using poison is if you don't have it high so you need to do a lot of itemswitching to use the mean ones :)

L

listepik

cant be bothered about that either..

Got a Opposition Pin today, though. on an entirely irrelevant side note :D

E

Elvewen

I am just starting out an Infil and was wondering if someone could answer this question.

Envenom - Can you only use the poison's that you have trained to or do the bonus items allow you to use the higher items ???

My final template will be

50 Stealth
45 Envenom
39 CS
25 DW
23 Thrust

so if I got +5 bonus with Envenom could I use the lvl 50 poison.

I know this is not the way it works with everyother skill but the Envenom seems to be a unique skill.

BTW - The reasoning behind that template is for a massive first hit with poison, critical strike and dual wield, swap weapons for a fast second hit, then run like buggery and let the poison do the rest.

D

Derric

Yea,envenom works that way,you can use better poison with the help of items.

Users who are viewing this thread