good read

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Mostly a decent summary of what DAoC was originally about, and why I thought it had the right ideas for a good PvP game at the time.

plimsoller

Fledgling Freddie
Woot a B & Q player on excalibur, still alive

Nice to see you are still active... or at least active here, i just reactivated my account after 2 years of WoW, Just to login to an Excalibur server with only 18 players online :-(

I guess that was money out of the window, but hey nice to see you thorwyn :)

btw.. here is Paternus the melee cleric from the old days, and Ozzy the friendly paladin

merry xmas

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
wtf???
Paternus! :D
Glad to see you here. What are you playing these days?
Not playing DAoC anymore (although I miss the game :(), but still reading FH and other game related sites.

plimsoller

Fledgling Freddie
Hehe....

I sort of drifted into WoW, been playing there for a long time together with some old b&q guys(ethereal, tika) we even had a guild named Righteous Bastard, but got the named banned - the wimps didn't like the word bastard :eek7:.

I also did play a lot of Sacred, got my full Paternus set :cheers:

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
That was actually a bad read full of biasm and little knowledge.

I'll post a longer text soon.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Good job, can't argue with much of what you say.

Takes a while to trawl through the first post and then the second but it's certainly worth a few minutes of anyones time.

A lot of games have got certain aspects which work but no single game has yet managed (imo) to get the overall balance right.

WoW was not designed for pvp from the ground-up and essentially the classes didn't fit quite right. Again, no risk, no reward.

DAoC was an early stab and a good one, but as you say, there was no real impact of pvp on the game world as you could sit happily behind your realm gate and there were no significant consequences of losing. They did consider in the beta of introducing realm-invasions, but that never came to pass.

Planetside had its good points, base bonuses and the faction war focussed almost all players on defending or attacking specific continents in some form of loose organisation, but the command system was poor and there was no risk other than being repeatedly farmed in respawn tubes.

SWG had the right idea and i'll never forget being sat in a cantina on tatooine listening to the music recovering from a particularly nasty womp-rat mauling incident and chatting to various people only to have a load of rebels run in followed by a load of stormtroopers and start shooting up the place...awesome :) But SWG was plagued by spawncamping and poor class balance, fun though it was, it never really worked that well.

Your right on the money with EvE. Probably the best stab thus far with real player-controlled resources, player controlled areas and it's all there to be lost. The pvp risks in EvE are huge and the rewards from a single player perspective are relatively low, but the rewards become much more balanced when you are part of a big corp controlling low-sec space and even more balanced when you are part of an alliance controlling a large number of areas.

I wonder if we will ever see a new game with true open world pvp which isn't an uncontrolable gank fest or instanced to the eyeballs. Nothing wrong with instancing, it suits some players, just not my personal cup of tea.

Still, it's an interesting discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom