Games Good old games

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Gog.com is a new site launching in the next couple of months which will offer classic games recoded and guaranteed to work on XP/Vista with prices from £2.50 to £5. The website is here...

GOG.com Teaser

They have signed a number of top developers up already so the library should grow impressively over time. All the games will be have brand new installers written for them so that they comply with the current windows installer standards so that alone should make it alot easier to play some of the all time classic PC games.

Anyway, have a look for yourselves.

Edit, oh the service is being run by the developers of The Witcher from what I have read over at ve3d.com

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39810/Play-Good-Old-Games-On-Vista-XP-Legally

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oooh. Looks nice. One place to get all your classics with no hazzle :D

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I hope they do Planescape Torment!

oh god they do Sacrifice as well! one of the most unheard of/underrated games ever!

Uara

Part of the furniture
I want to play Fallout again, so bring it on!!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
oo nice find

I hope they do the populous series that is a royal nightmare to get working on XP/Vista

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I'm assuming these will just be the original versions with the only change being that they work on vista/xp?

I notice freespace 2 is in the pic which is easilly one of my fav games of all time - but there's been tons of user mods for it. You can download the whole game for free with improved textures,Hi-res, DirectX lighting etc so paying for a grubby old 640x480 version seems a bit silly.

I'd pay £2.50 to play Giants: Citizen Kabuto again though :)

Edit: Hope they have this :

Mega%20Lo%20Mania_7.png

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
give working theme hospital

ive got this and many other old games for the PC, im still trying to sell them if anyone is interested. speak to dukat for a testimonial.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
The problem i've always found with classics is they are simply never as good as you remember them.

There's somethings it's best to leave as a memory without spoiling it with the reality.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
The problem i've always found with classics is they are simply never as good as you remember them.

There's somethings it's best to leave as a memory without spoiling it with the reality.

Recently replayed mcGees alice (dark as hell), Star control 2, mafia and GP4 (full length race seasons are awesome) all of which are relatively old games but have enjoyed playing them again immensely.

Come to think of it, I completed betrayal at krondor again about a year ago and that's practically prehistoric.

Games these days just tend to be generic remakes of best sellers with one or two small differences whereas back in the day, large parts of games enjoyment for me were their originality. That's why I enjoyed the old OLD atari 800 so darn much.

Can't agree more about 'giants' and sacrifice :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'm assuming these will just be the original versions with the only change being that they work on vista/xp?

I notice freespace 2 is in the pic which is easilly one of my fav games of all time - but there's been tons of user mods for it. You can download the whole game for free with improved textures,Hi-res, DirectX lighting etc so paying for a grubby old 640x480 version seems a bit silly.

I'd pay £2.50 to play Giants: Citizen Kabuto again though :)

Edit: Hope they have this :

Mega%20Lo%20Mania_7.png

Well it seems the licencing deal gives access to source code so enabling higher resolutions for direct3d games shouldn't be that hard, hopefully that will happen. For older 2d games you are stuck with what the developer created but at least they will work properly under the new versions of windows. As for paying for a grubby old 640x480 game, I do understand what you mean but we are only talking about the price of a pint of beer for a classic game. People spend more on stupid mobile phone ringtones these days. ;)

Uara

Part of the furniture
Just thought I'd do a bit of thread necromancy. Mainly to say that the website is now operational and im now downloading both Fallout 1 and 2 for a grand total of £3!!!!

Vladamir

FH is my second home
I was wondering when this would be coming online.

Rep worthy bump :D

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Has anyone got an email for the beta thing yet? I sent off for one yesterday and i still haven't got it :(

Uara

Part of the furniture
hmmmmm how strange, i got access to it bought fallout 1 and 2, but accessing the webpage on a different pc, no-where to enter my account details to log in :p silly website design!

Danord_durin

Fledgling Freddie

qft:worthy:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Try Starcontrol 2 or fallout 2, timeless :p

Mey

Part of the furniture
I got a beta code the other week, but i signed up for the website when it was first posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom