Going to London soon

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Planning a trip to London with the GF around easter. Will be staying at Mayflower Hotel, will cost us around 800 euro with three nights (flight included) :( Going to feel poor afterwards but first time in London so its worth. Are there any interesting events, things to see, experiences to be had etc etc?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Mayflower Hotel - the one in Trebovir Rd, Earls Court? (thats the only Mayflower Hotel I know - on the south side, just west of Templeton Place)

Yes, there are a billion things to do in London. All depends what you're into.

Check out http://www.timeout.com/london/ for starters

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Aye. The one at Trebvoir Rd, Earls Court. I think i am going to find a nice pub and have a few pints. Heard something about the biggest ferris wheel being in the area?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Do you mean the London Eye? I'll draw you a map of your hotel & the London Eye:

29frtdt.jpg

You're 5.4km from the London Eye as the crow flies, or about £10 in a black cab (never use mini cabs - they're not insured, their cars are death traps, & they don't know where they're going)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's funny how big london really is :p

I knew it was big, but that put it REALLY into perspective.

From what i heard, there's a nice shopping area somewhere...what was it....camden town or some such? Atleast my friend(femalu unit) liked it.

Never been myself, but a matter of time before i invade the UK as the same unit moved there ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
London is a lot bigger than that

Just going from, say, Chiswick (in the west) to, lets say, the O2 Dome (east), thats around 20km, and we're still well inside greater London!

If I was going from, say, Heathrow Terminal 5 (west) to Harold Wood (north east), thats 50km in a straight line

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Camden town isn't what it used to be imo :(

Might help if you tell us more about what sort of thing you fancy doing Fettoken ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
If you want bars / clubs / cafes / restaurants / interesting shops / maybe see some famous faces, you can't beat Soho. Covent Garden has some nice shops & loads of restaurants. The Piazza also has the world's largest Apple store. I would recommend booking up & see a show. Whether its stand up comedy, drama, musicals, there's something for everyone (well, almost everyone). If you want the shopping experience, you've got Harvey Nichols, Selfridges, Harrods, Sloane Avenue (take your credit cards!), and of course Oxford St (which will be manic on Saturdays (watch your wallets)). Camden Lock is pretty cool - ppl like Noel Fielding hang out there - and you've got Stables Market there, the Roundhouse Theatre, loads of cafes & restaurants. Its no smoking in the bars & restaurants BTW. The Big Bus Tours are worth doing if you fancy seeing the classic tourist sites. Chiswick is REALLY nice along the River (ask a cabby to take you to Strand on the Thames if its a nice day). Loads to do on the South Bank - big cultural & arts centres. Highgate is nice - there are Ponds you can bathe in - v nice in the summer :D

Edit: you can go on canal trips through London - again, if the weather's nice, I really recommend this - you can book up in Camden High Street - just before the bridge by Camden Lock

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
London is a lot bigger than that

Just going from, say, Chiswick (in the west) to, lets say, the O2 Dome (east), thats around 20km, and we're still well inside greater London!

If I was going from, say, Heathrow Terminal 5 (west) to Harold Wood (north east), thats 50km in a straight line

Everything in London is 45 minutes away from everything else. Physical distance is irrelevant, its always 45 minutes.

Got to go back for a couple of days on Monday. Can't say I'm thrilled about it; I lived there for 13 years, that's enough.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Camden town isn't what it used to be imo :(

Might help if you tell us more about what sort of thing you fancy doing Fettoken ;)

You know...stuff. Hookers, booze, romantic stuff. Oh yeah, i want to see London Dungeon of course.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Don't use black cabs, or normal cabs. Traffic in London can be silly, and your black cabs meter will be running.

Use public transport, the subway and train system is easy to use, and will get you across london in no time at all. As DaGaffer said, it's 45 minutes to anywhere in London.

3 days isn't enough to see everything, pick and choose and plan now.

I'd question your hotel choice - fuck me that's expensive! But then I'm used to going out of England and paying fuck all for places to stay.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
If you're looking to visit the usual (and some unusual) attractions then you should consider the London Pass. It'll save you a shit load of money in entrance fees.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
As your first time in London, don't use the tube, you wont see anything except miserable Londoners. Don't use the taxies as they cost a fortune. Use the buses and see the sites on the way.

The science museum is good if you are into that sort of thing, the natural history museum is also worth a visit. Camden used to be good but its full of twats now. Harrods is a waste of time, its just like any other department store except everything costs more. The London eye (the giant ferris wheel) is good, if a little expensive.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Three nights?

Go the top of St Paul's. Pick a park - Richmond, Hyde or Regent's, don't do them all just pick the one you fancy going to most. Plan some good eating destinations - There are a lot of good restaurants in Soho.

Brick Lane / Spitalfields is a bit more interetsing than Camden Town.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
its worth spending £7-8 on an A-Z street map, it'll be your best friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom