GOA Reliability/Lag and long delays with patches etc......

Laviski

Fledgling Freddie
So is it time for us to get US copies and enjoy the new server leaving all troubles back to this side of the atlantic???

IMO can't be worse than what we have had to suffer atm..... thats even IF and a very BIG if goa decide to open a new server witht he new rulesset.....

statued said:
well i'm going on the US server and will stay there unless goa get a no toa/OF server i won't be activating my Euro accounts. Due to my history with goa reliability/support i would stay US knowing the fact i will get pacthes and updates fast than knowing about and not getting till 6- 9 months down the road. At least if i get lag i can blame it on the fact it is a US based server and won't get too annoyed over it.

Quote from thread

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Problem is most of the action on those servers will be when we are (or should be) asleep. Still ive also considered it, just dont know it its worth the trouble as im now set on playing Dark and Light in november :)

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Problem is most of the action on those servers will be when we are (or should be) asleep.

Main drawback for me also, though I really doubt I would stick at it for long anyway unless I rolled with a lot of ppl I already knew.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
same old whine... and from what I've seen US servers go down more often than ours do.

Gamah

Banned
Same old shit, if you getting lag better check your connection..and we will be on the same patch as the US in like 8 days ...

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Whine whine whine. It's not like the servers are down that often. Infact, this is probably the first unplanned server downtime ever. Sure the lag we had a while ago was horrible, but this wasn't GOAs fault, and has been resolved now. Servers are hardly ever down, patching goes pretty much flawless, etc. Quite unlike other MMORPGs I've played.

Patches are usually behind US because there's all that translating that has to be done. Sure, I don't like that either, but I'll live with it. It wont make that much of a difference anyway. My biggest beef with it is when new expansions release they release in the US first and then in EU. Which means all the novelty is already explored. Take TOA for example. By the time it released in EU VoS already had all the raids listed. Wtg for exploring.

Tilda

Supprising fact of the day, GOA servers have a better uptime record than Us servers.

Almao

Fledgling Freddie
The goa support is so crappy.

No Appeals system is a joke.

After 3 years of playing in US and coming back to EU servers I miss mythic support.

Server has been closed for 4 hours atm and there is not any note about it in goa mainpage.

Goa have less servers and less special servers, Goa doesnt invest time in researching new patchs.

Shrug, I think this are facts too ^^

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Almao said:
The goa support is so crappy.

No Appeals system is a joke.
Have you tried using RightNow recently? Get an answer within the hour for the vast majority of problems. Not like waiting for 8 hours for a GM to appear when using /appeal (and remember, you have to stay logged on for that to work...).

Almao said:
After 3 years of playing in US and coming back to EU servers I miss mythic support.

So after 3 years of playing on US servers, you come and whine here about EU support?

Almao said:
Server has been closed for 4 hours atm and there is not any note about it in goa mainpage.

The whole service went down, including the webpage. We had news posted here (in non-official forums) within minutes of it happening. There's been updates here regularly, and I'm assuming they don't post on the main webbie because they can't (what would you prioritise, getting the game up and running or getting the news system up and running?).

Almao said:
Goa have less servers and less special servers, Goa doesnt invest time in researching new patchs.

And if you look at our server popullations you'll see they're on average much higher than the US ones. They don't invest and research into new patches because that's what Mythic do. Mythic are the ones that decide what goes into patches, not GOA.

Almao said:
Shrug, I think this are facts too ^^

/shrug I think your facts are bullshit. ^^

GReaper

Part of the furniture
GOA's server uptime is great compared to Mythic.

My only criticism with this downtime is that there has been no news posted to the daoc.goa.com website. We'll probably see some news after the servers come back up, which is a bit too late then. :p

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
GReaper said:
GOA's server uptime is great compared to Mythic.

My only criticism with this downtime is that there has been no news posted to the daoc.goa.com website. We'll probably see some news after the servers come back up, which is a bit too late then. :p

the info was posted on FH very quickly - aint that enough?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
I agreed with Mr Wibble (above for the non red dwarf fans) the uptime of GoA's servers is better than Mythic.

However..... if there was a new rule server, Im guessing it would be implemented in the same way as Camlan, ie. One server for all euro players, now from experience If i wanted to start of afresh and had a choice, I'd go for the USA server over a common euro GOA one - sorry

Almao

Fledgling Freddie
I played EU since beta, got tired of playing 1.36, not having DF, epic zones or dragons. So when mythic released mordred I sold my accs and move there.

I have been in both places maybe I can compare mythic support and goa support.

But hey, go on with ur flames ^^

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
DocWolfe said:
same old whine... and from what I've seen US servers go down more often than ours do.
no they dont.and when they go down its a few minutes.

and if its patch day they always up way before the time they posted. not the other way around like goa does.

Problem is if you work you wont get much Peak time RvR. its great being european though if you get toaed

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
..and we will be on the same patch as the US in like 8 days ...

I belive GoA have it in their contract that they can never be on the same version as the US servers

That said, I don't mind it really.

It means the yanks get to beta-test for us, which is a good thing.

Comparing to the major Camelot US releases (and other MMO releases), Camelot EU have been drasticly bug-free.

We have had some issues with lag, and GoA have been incredible awful at communicating with the costumerbase on those subjects. But, they have improved slightly recently, so let us hope they keep that up. (Forinstance, why is this network shortage not on daoc.goa.com? Only a limited part of the costumerbase reads FH).
:)

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Obviously most of pple here don't have slightest idea of running network of such packet transit and ammount of clusters. Hey peepz, it's more like alchemy than IT!

Thumbs up GOA for rock stabile ;-)

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Supprising fact of the day, GOA servers have a better uptime record than Us servers.

Omgosh? the grass is not greener on the other side? :eek6:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Chimaira said:
no they dont.and when they go down its a few minutes.

and if its patch day they always up way before the time they posted. not the other way around like goa does.

Problem is if you work you wont get much Peak time RvR. its great being european though if you get toaed

were you on the US servers during patch 1.66? the servers were down for 2 hours about 3 times a week for a month...

Gamah

Banned
Azathrim said:
I belive GoA have it in their contract that they can never be on the same version as the US servers

:)

Where did you get that information?

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Gamah said:
Where did you get that information?

he is kind of right from what a gm said to me, i was told that they are under contract to be 1 patch ahead...usually this is six months but the argument was.

if it takes ages to do a translation etc why cant us brits just get the americans patch.

the goa response was all about how its an eu server blah blah blah. they also mentioned that even if they could use the american patch and take lets say 4 days to implement it here....it could not happen untill america gets a newer patch.

in short we cant be on the same patch as them.

this is all based on 1 thread i read so if im wrong mr gm pls speak now :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Guess what would happen if Exc and Pry got the american patch ahead of the german and french servers? Yes thats right - you would do well to learn german and/or french because we would get invaded by them since they would want to play the latest patch too.

About there beeing a contractual obligation to stay one patch behind, i doubt that. We have been on the same patch before i believe, and will be again soon when 1.75 is implemented here, since US still run that patch.

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
OK in a nutshell, we don't even get the patches from Mythic until they are happy with the performance of the patch on their own servers at that point we get the patch and have to make it work on our server set up which is different from that of the US... as we are making the nuts and bolts work the translators are working on their bit. It is only when the nuts and bolts and bugs are sorted on our server set up that we prepare for the patch to go live. The majority of the lag time between patches comes from us waiting to receive the patch from Mythic and then making the changes for the different server set up, not from the translating as it is done side by side (by 4 seperate translation teams) while the testing and tweaking is happening.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Guess what would happen if Exc and Pry got the american patch ahead of the german and french servers? Yes thats right - you would do well to learn german and/or french because we would get invaded by them since they would want to play the latest patch too.

Thidranki would be invaded. I doubt many germans would make it to level 50. And even if so, we could use the numbers.

But, I still find it fine that the yanks beta-test for us. It also means we get to know how things work before we get them. That saves alot of hazzle, templatemaking and wrong spec choises for us. Forinstance, it meant we knew HOW warlocks get nerfed before we could play them.

Fana said:
About there beeing a contractual obligation to stay one patch behind, i doubt that. We have been on the same patch before i believe, and will be again soon when 1.75 is implemented here, since US still run that patch.

No we haven't.

And, we won't this time either. 1.76 goes live in US before 1.75 does in Europe.
US patches this week. GoA haven't set a final date yet, but likely next week. If US is delayed (due to their server room being flooded), then GoA will be delayed too.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
may i?

Doom Doooo00000000ooooom!

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
may i?

Doom Doooo00000000ooooom!

Uhm... I'm not seeing any doom-saying. I merely listed some observations that appears like facts. And, notice how the GM didn't deny those things.

As I already said, I don't see a problem with those "facts" either. Actually I see it as an advantage.

So, go somewhere else to play clever and immitate Flimgoblin.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
its actually aimed at the thread starter and every other person who starts a thread about "how shit goa are" I actually agree with you that its better we have to wait a while so maybe you should go somewhere else and play not so clever.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
on the U.S.A servers I have yet to have suffered any lag or downtime that has affected me at all. I can have access 24/7 as I work from home and have chronic insommnia.

I moved as soon as they announced they were going to cluster, so far I find the service, in game support, servers, players, vastly superior to GOA. But hey that's just my opinion.

If you're thinking of moving then do it...doomsayers or not if you are paying for a product that you are dissatisfied with, only a total moron would continue to shell out money month after month for it...

In my opinion is the grass greener...Hell Yeah!!!, but then I would say that, I have had no problems at all.
I can't speak for the lags and downtime that has been mentioned here, I was a new player and had only been playing since January myself on GOA.

But since I moved over 2 months ago, there has been none I have encountered...

I will say what I always say, if you're unhappy move....if you're not stay either way only do whats best for you...in the end thats what your paying you're money for.

Kitty

Chronictank

FH is my second home
you wont get competition in rvr like you do here :(
from all people who have gone US i have been told its a hell of alot easier, personally like this quote from a m8:
Its like moderna, but replace the redcaps with players and its a pretty accurate analogy
So each to their own, by all accounts lag on US is better than EU, but of late i think things have improved

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom