Goa/Mythic a cunning Idea to remove ToA Blues

Svendoc

One of Freddy's beloved
Why not setup a server where anyone with a lvl 50 character, can do a slash lvl char which would allow them to get a fully optimised lvl 50 ml10 character with lvl 10 artifacts of there choice and go RvR.

This could give players a welcome break from the grind of ToA

Just an Idea from someone who is getting very bored of repeatedly killing sharks scarabs etc etc etc after xping to 50.

Try to think outside the box, or come up with an original idea like questing to 50 instead of rinse repeat.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
If you can't afford to spend 10-15 hrs per day playing the game so that you can compete with everyone else then mebbe you should look for another game. ;)

~removes tongue from cheek~

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
I like this idea. You could have something that was a cross between PlanestSide and DAOC. A pure RvR server - no PvE whatsoever.

Ruleset could be something like...

1. No PvE. No mobs, no drops, no cash.
2. Frontier Zones only. No point in having the overhead of the extra zones. Besides it would freeup space to have multiple servers as a single server would be too busy in the RvR areas.
3. All weapons, armour & jewellery available free from NPC merchants. Possibly limit artifacts to 1 or 2 per person & possibly remove "uber" mob-drops. No SCing, no random generated pieces. No decay.
4. Consumables (pots, siege parts, etc.) available to buy for bonus points.
5. No NPCs except merchants & keep lords. Players would have to defend all their keeps.
6. Each keep held by your realm gives you a ML

Server crashes would be the biggest problem - would have to maybe limit entry onto each server (and possibly limit time on per character).

Would be interesting.

TNT

One of Freddy's beloved
the "grind" is there to make you spend more time on daoc = more cash for them.
I would be all for it but there no way in hell they would be that kind. :twak:

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
There are servers with this ready for you right now.

It's called Quake Team Deathmatch.

:D

If you can't be bothered to PvE, then don't choose a gametype with PvE as the primary content.

Thrinnor

Fledgling Freddie
You used to be able to do something like this in UO on the Test Centre. If you want a magnet for all the muppets in the DAOC world, then sure go ahead :)

Faith

Fledgling Freddie
send in the clowns

wow al those 50's with NO clue what a single ability on their quickbar does.

sounds like a fun place to me .. lol

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
If you can't be bothered to PvE, then don't choose a gametype with PvE as the primary content.

Wrong. DAoC is all about RvR, pve is just the necessary evil you have to endure to be able to compete. It's fairly safe to say most daoc players agree with that.

Ofcourse there's a minority who likes to focus on the PvE side, but the vast majority plays this game for RvR.

I didn't mind the level 1-50 grind that much (long time ago) but just the thought of doing it again (= ToA ) made me quit the game in a heartbeat.

:)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Lumikki said:
Wrong. DAoC is all about RvR, pve is just the necessary evil you have to endure to be able to compete. It's fairly safe to say most daoc players agree with that.

Interesting, then, how 95%+ of the players I talk to in-game say they're not in DAOC 'for the RvR', then, isn't it?

And if DAOC is 'all about RvR', how come of all the expansions released or incoming, only one has been RvR? I think Mythic knows exactly what most of their playerbase are doing, and it's not RvR.

...the vast majority plays this game for RvR

No, they don't. If they did the vast majority would be RvRing, and they're not.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
This idea has its appeal, though I don't think it would nerf RvR on the other servers so badly.

Because...

1) Having everything on a plate, all MLs, a good range of standard equipment available for free, has a limited appeal. Especially if this idea of a server prevents the option of acquiring new items, which it should.

2) The most ardent RvR players are always looking for the edge over their opponents. If you don't have the opportunity to get that edge, by acquiring new equipment, its going to get pretty stale, pretty fast.

3) Why would somone, who already has a well equipped toon/s, with ML10 and a high RR, want to ditch their RvR characters in favour of another server where they in all likelihood will be competing on a par with other players, rather than at an advantage. There clearly are some players who would prefer the level playing field where tactics win out over abilities and items, but I sense that they are not the majority of the server population.

So you would get some people who opted for this. Who want a pure RvR game, like planetside, without any of the levelling grind and any of the sense of achievement of having built up a toon to compete in RvR. Who wouldn't mind the fact that ultimately, their actions in the frontiers would have no other significant knock-on effects for the rest of their realm.

I'm sure there would be a fan base for this and I think the idea in the format suggested has merit, but I don't think it would nerf RvR on the existing servers unless the majority of the player base is like the person I described in the above para?

Alternatively. GOA & Mythic could fix the ToA Artifact and ML encounters so that they are not nearly so buggy or mind-numbingly dull for players to do. That would also be good.

*edit*

btw - well said Svartmetall, well said indeed. :cheers:

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
That's just the way I see it since I can't understand why anyone would play DAoC only because of the PvE side.

Then again it's only my opinion.

Maybe it's because I played EQ so much, DAoC somehow feels too one dimensional when it comes to PvE.

:touch:

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Lumikki said:
big pile of bullshit ... don't play a bloody RPG if you can't stand character progression and development :twak:
Lumikki said:
but just the thought of doing it again (= ToA ) made me quit the game in a heartbeat.
good riddance then <shrug>

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Interesting, then, how 95%+ of the players I talk to in-game say they're not in DAOC 'for the RvR', then, isn't it?

And if DAOC is 'all about RvR', how come of all the expansions released or incoming, only one has been RvR? I think Mythic knows exactly what most of their playerbase are doing, and it's not RvR.

No, they don't. If they did the vast majority would be RvRing, and they're not.
your buffbot is not a real player m8 :(

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
big pile of bullshit ... don't play a bloody RPG if you can't stand character progression and development

Wow, I'm all out of words now. Good job.

:rolleyes:

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Lumikki said:
That's just the way I see it since I can't understand why anyone would play DAoC only because of the PvE side.

That's just my opinion.

Maybe it's because I played EQ so much, DAoC somehow feels too one dimensional when it comes to PvE.

OK, I never played EQ to any extent, just a free trial thing that was on the cover of (I think) PC Gamer - but I was kind of interested by it. However as soon as I saw how much better DAOC looked (this was back in August 2002 when I started playing) courtesy of some friends who showed it to me, EQ and its Playstation graphics were a distant memory for me.

I've played Quake 3 a lot, though, and if I want PvP action I'll still fire up Q3, simply becasue in my opinion it does PvP so much better, whether it's 1 vs. 1, free-for-all or team-based. Because I've played Q3 so much I know all too well how unbalanced and unrewarding DAOC's PvP combat is.

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
Faith said:
wow al those 50's with NO clue what a single ability on their quickbar does.

sounds like a fun place to me .. lol

You should try emain sometime.

Edlina

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
OK, I never played EQ to any extent, just a free trial thing that was on the cover of (I think) PC Gamer - but I was kind of interested by it. However as soon as I saw how much better DAOC looked (this was back in August 2002 when I started playing) courtesy of some friends who showed it to me, EQ and its Playstation graphics were a distant memory for me.

I've played Quake 3 a lot, though, and if I want PvP action I'll still fire up Q3, simply becasue in my opinion it does PvP so much better, whether it's 1 vs. 1, free-for-all or team-based. Because I've played Q3 so much I know all too well how unbalanced and unrewarding DAOC's PvP combat is.

What daoc has that's special over other MMORPG's is RvR, that's what makes it unique and interesting. It's PvE is severly lacking compared to other MMORPG's, and if PvE is the reason you play MMORPG I wouldn't hesitate even a moment with getting as far away from DAOC as possible.

Quake and daoc pvp is very very different, and as unrewarding as you might find pvp in daoc, as unrewarding others will find PvE, and fact is what makes daoc unique is the pvp aspect of the game.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Lumikki said:

Then again it's only my opinion.

:touch:
You aaalmost can't compare EQ and DAoC. When it comes to PVE that is. EQ, first of all is 10x larger than DAoC. And its purely PvE, there's no such thing as rvr/pvp (barely). But I agree with you. EQ is much nicer when it comes to pve because it got an amazing amount of content. DAoC doesn't have shit. Like I said to a friend of mine the other day, (Who plays EQ) There's no such thing as phat l3wt in daoc. Most people can get all of the good items fairly easy, which you cant at ALL in EQ. So basically you got more to work for in EQ. In DAoC all you need is a lvl 50 and voila, you can get most nice objects in a breeze.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
And if DAOC is 'all about RvR', how come of all the expansions released or incoming, only one has been RvR? I think Mythic knows exactly what most of their playerbase are doing, and it's not RvR

Its called Marketing...its keeping the playerbase they have interested...the game is going on for 3yrs old now...new mmorpgs are due out soon...and DAOC will have competition...so they have to try and fend this off

And of course Mythic know what their playerbase is doing...they are making you do it !

keeping u paying & playing....its only good business sense

Mythic have always stated from the beginning the end game of DAOC was RvR...and this is was something they was gonna feature on alot

But gradually Mythic have either forgotten what they said or have shifted their goal posts into the PvE area.

Lets face it...if they add more PvE content..more things to do...before u can actually go out and RvR...then people have no choice but to do it ...if they wanna carry on playing.

Me personally wouldnt touch Daoc if there wasnt RvR...to me RvR made Daoc is was unique, it offered somethign different to other games...

and like Lumikki said "DAoC is all about RvR, PvE is just the necessary evil you have to endure to be able to compete"

But of course with this type of game...things alter...people play for different reasons etc...but when the developers of a game shift their goal posts...and dont tend to stick with what they set out to do...and introuduce expansions with sayings such as "TOA wont effect RvR"....then its time to move on

but if you think Daoc's primary focus is PvE...then sorry u been playing the wrong game for the last 2yrs!

KOB

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall is right end of story...

btw If you know Svartmetall you wouldnt say buffb..

He hate buffb.. + I even crawl under a rock when telling him I lending
a friends healer ;))

Daoc is a mix of pve and pvp = (rvr) as you call it in daoc. I must say RvR are very dull thing too do in daoc Im hoping New Frontier would solve that ( you can always hope lads opps ladys :wub: )

Toa was mostly crap

Catacombs I sure hope Mythics do some nice graphics my char look like Im playing in cad cam for good sake not in a game. :drink: you must get a huge amount of beer in our brain before you can consider daoc as a good grapic game..

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i prersonnal havent found any game on the market/coming out that compares to daoc rvr, so i will keep paying my sub and keep playing
PVE is a task to me, but i did enjoy the ML's you could see the effort put into the design of them by mythic to keep them varied and have great landscapes to play in (the ML 9.10 mob for example).
Personally im not looking forward to catacombs, gfx side yes, but that also means higher spec PC's and once again mythic bumping up the minimum spec (most wont notice but the spec for Shrouded Isles went up with TOA so i expect it will again with catacombs) but we shall see.

In my eyes RVR is mostly wrecked by the players themselves for most, i personally dont like runnig in 4fg and dont see any point in it at all. Not out of l33tism but I find it dull and unrewarding, so i solo or take a fg to odins. But thats just me (sorry to all the solo/duo/trios in odins on sunday, we were avoiding the alb and hib zergs). But thats me , some people enjoy running with endless numbers of realm mates thats them they pay their subs they should play how the like.

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
Chronic I was there with ya almost til the end. I used to think the same about pre-TOA rvr (fg or log). Now, however, as a low RR it simply isn't possible to compete without being part of the zerg. Though this has been said many times before.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
I am not sure whether Benedictine has read the current posts on VN regarding New Frontiers but it seems that the days of the zerg are truly about to come. Albion doesn't have all the US relics yet - but its close. More population for the win appears to be the order of the day. Bow Euro servers - as a general rule of thumb - have bigger populations than US servers so whether NF has the same impact or not remains to be seen.

A second expansion that has upset RvR folks though - may not be good.

Svart's comments on RvR about Quake should be taken seriously. No it isn't DAoC RvR but it is fun.

Sad to see the response that Lumikki got as well. EQ is better at PvE in my opinion and when I went back to it for a while earlier in the year in was very relaxing and fun. It has an ambiance. Its old gripes had been fixed.That said I can easily see how a free trial would give the wrong impression. The $30 EQ Evolutions has done a much better marketing job, along with the very clever Lost Dungeons of Norrath. (Catacombs will be the DAoC equivalent) And to keep Mythic on their toes Everquest Platinum has been announced which will have all the current expansions and the updated DirectX 9 graphics engine. (A further expansion due this year as well). If it is aimed at the same price point - ouch. Edit: and I forgot to mention the new PvE system that has gone live - worth a read to see how other developers' ideas. (To put EQ PvP in context it has more pure PvP English speaking servers than GoA !!!)

Anyway I think I will go and PvE my CoH controller. Its another fun change of pace.

Oidche

Fledgling Freddie
Lumikki said:

I surely hope you're jesting my friend, because that's just utter bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom