GOA have released some more info

A

Auriel

From http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1671

Excalibur crashes - more information
[2004-7-01]

As promised here is the news about the recent crashes on Excalibur.

As you all may or may not know, Albion lost its three strength relics to the Midgardian horde several days ago. The leading figures of Albion swore that they would bring them all back by the weekend and have therefore launched multiple massive attacks to try and regain what they believe is their due.

Over the last few days, hundreds of Albions have been pouring into the Midgard frontier, attacking keeps, harassing the enemy and striving to achieve their goals. The Midgardian forces also consisting of huge armies have valiantly fought them all this time, striving to retake their keeps and attempting to keep the Albion armies at bay. Seeing its two enemies locked in desperate battle, the cunning Hibernians also decided to participate, by sending their forces into the fray.

Eventually, there were so many people in Midgardian territory that the very fabrics of space and time were torn, hurling everyone nearby into an inescapable void of nothingness. Space and time eventually corrected themselves and our brave warriors could once again walk the lands of their fair realms.

What happened exactly ?

To explain what happened, you need to understand how each server actually works. Each server (Excalibur, Prydwen etc) is not controlled by a single machine, but rather by a network of different servers each controlling a certain portion of the game, be it a specific series of zones for a realm, dungeons or RvR zones.

Gathering well over one thousand people in one zone (physical server) can overburden it, and can result in a crash. This in turn can result in all those people trying to log in at the same time, which puts extreme stress on the login servers. The login servers can in this process wrongly register an account as already logged in (ghosted accounts), which many players experienced last night. This is easily fixed by a reboot of both servers, which should normally happen automatically.

What will happen now ?

The hardware on the Excalibur server was upgraded recently and is just about top notch. While hardware upgrades may seem like the obvious solution, this is not an area where improvements would make much of a difference.

What we can improve though, is our response-time in the off hours, to make the impact of each crash smaller and reduce the instances of "ghosted accounts". This is something we are working on at the moment, and steps have already been taken that should reduce the downtime greatly. While reviewing the changes in our procedures, we will continue to make changes to improve the response-time to incidents similar to the ones we have seen these last few days.

On behalf of the GOA staff we sincerely apologize for the trouble you have experienced the last few days. Know that your woes and feedback do not go unheard.

A

Arkian

So basically they are saying 'don't let the Massively Multiplayer part of MMORPG get too massive in one place'?

Wonder what Mythic's take on this is, and if the US servers have this same problem with crashes.

Y

yorkforce

Personally im glad they have taken the time to put this responce up, certainly wasn't expected.

Now heres to hoping Mythic's new frontiers are more capable than the old ones.

D

drunkenmazter

Originally posted by Arkian
So basically they are saying 'don't let the Massively Multiplayer part of MMORPG get too massive in one place'?
nah.... they are saying that the only way to do a succesfull RR, is to do a Alarmclock Raid :(

S

Sichama

So actually this mean exactly what i had suspected, Excaliburs different zones are handled by different machines, so although Hibernian frontiers have lived grand fights of this magnitute and managed to hold, the case is not the same for Midgards frontiers or/and Albion frontiers that because they dont have the same everyday load of people they are handled by machines of lower specs, which resulted in what we witnessed.

At least now people will stop defending GoA by trying to find all different excuses of what happened and accept the truth, this also means that Albs must either decide that they will not get back the Relics, or that they will do an Alarm clock raid (ofcourse in that case they will be as lame as Mids), or that they will designate a force of no more than 200 Albs and try and take them.

Personaly, the way that GoA has at last gave this info stating the simple facts and telling the truth outright like this has managed to drive most of my frustration away. Funny but that is all i needed, no one can really expect that nothing can go wrong, afterall even planes crush killing everyone on them, for me it was the lying and the general feeling of total lack of respect for their customers that drove me mad.

On a final note this litle bit of info....

***This is easily fixed by a reboot of both servers, which should normally happen automatically.***

Also proves another suspicion i had, that infact there was absolutely no one in GoA's office in Saturday night to do the simple task of pressing a restart button.

There are many ways to implement a faillover system in which if a machine fails it will either force itself into rebooting or having another machine taking over for good or temporarily, all ways are pretty simple to implement but the most simple and easy one of them all is to have someone in work 24/7, just one person that all he needs to do is press one fucking button.

Now GoA please amaze me and hundreds of others by implementing something in the next week, surely you can do it as it is something that can be implemented tommorow.

All in all i will now shut up in anticipation of changes that will happen and in respect for a truthfull explanation.
I wont forget it was forced out of them but at least with enough pressure they will give in, in the end and that means we have voice.

G

gorff

Originally posted by Sichama
Personaly, the way that GoA has at last gave this info stating the simple facts and telling the truth outright like this has managed to drive most of my frustration away. Funny but that is all i needed, no one can really expect that nothing can go wrong, afterall even planes crush killing everyone on them, for me it was the lying and the general feeling of total lack of respect for their customers that drove me mad.

On a final note this litle bit of info....

***This is easily fixed by a reboot of both servers, which should normally happen automatically.***

Also proves another suspicion i had, that infact there was absolutely no one in GoA's office in Saturday night to do the simple task of pressing a restart button.

Agree, the flood of info we are now getting has gone a long way to abating the anger I felt over this,and for the moment I have put of moving to the US servers.
But it is still not acceptable that you can't hold a RR anytime anywhere with as many ppl as you want,that is what the game is designed to do.We really can't be expected to worry about server crashes each time we play the game the way it was meant to be played.

R

Risinn

Originally posted by gorff
Agree, the flood of info we are now getting has gone a long way to abating the anger I felt over this,and for the moment I have put of moving to the US servers.
But it is still not acceptable that you can't hold a RR anytime anywhere with as many ppl as you want,that is what the game is designed to do.We really can't be expected to worry about server crashes each time we play the game the way it was meant to be played.

I totally agree.

Kinda funny reading the back of my DAOC game " A persistant on-line universe where thousands of players can simultaneously interact or confront each other."

Right, as long as those players remain properly spread out through the universe and don't do too much confronting it should work...

S

Sibanac

So actually this mean exactly what i had suspected, Excaliburs different zones are handled by different machines, so although Hibernian frontiers have lived grand fights of this magnitute and managed to hold, the case is not the same for Midgards frontiers or/and Albion frontiers that because they dont have the same everyday load of people they are handled by machines of lower specs, which resulted in what we witnessed.

actualy frontiers and homeland are on same server ( if a frontier crashed the whole inner realm dies aswell as we have seen before).
Hardware is the same for all realms but albion and midgard server get a lot higher population in the inner realms and thus a higher load.

Still dont understand how server lived thru the old CorpseSummoner wars in mid frontier, where there was also a verry big fight for hours and no problems (besided my GFX card turring in to a smoldering heap of goo)

P

Palanor

"On behalf of the GOA staff we sincerely apologize for the trouble you have experienced the last few days. Know that your woes and feedback do not go unheard."

"What we can improve though, is our response-time in the off hours, to make the impact of each crash smaller and reduce the instances of "ghosted accounts". This is something we are working on at the moment, and steps have already been taken that should reduce the downtime greatly. While reviewing the changes in our procedures, we will continue to make changes to improve the response-time to incidents similar to the ones we have seen these last few days. "

-----------------
hush, they can hear us! o_O
Maybe our little "revolution" made a difference? ;)

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by GOA
What will happen now ?

The hardware on the Excalibur server was upgraded recently and is just about top notch. While hardware upgrades may seem like the obvious solution, this is not an area where improvements would make much of a difference.

*cough*bollox*cough*

F

Falcon

Wonder why GOA are claiming different machines handle different zones yet Mythic claimed DAoC works via load balancing and no specific machine handles any specific task - that they all share processes equally?

Have yet to see a US server crash unexpectedly. How many of the other euro servers have crashed unexpectedly, I know Prydwen has but does anyone know how stable the French and German servers are in comparison?

O

old.yaruar

Re: Re: GOA have released some more info

Originally posted by Faeldawn
*cough*bollox*cough*

THere is a fair assessment in saying hardware won't do that much. dual xeon machines with loads of memory should be able to handle it clustered. It's more likely sloppy coding which is causing the problems.

K

Kallio

Re: Re: Re: GOA have released some more info

Originally posted by old.yaruar
It's more likely sloppy coding which is causing the problems.

Or sloppy translation... :p

R

redfern

guess we can cut the crap down to this:

Yea, we know we got some crappy hardware set up. The term "massive multiplayer game", is in our terminology max 100 players i one realmzone. Tough shit when the servers crashes - however we are going to discuss the possibility of having someone to go to our server room and reboot the server within some hours after a crash - that is if someone is voulontering.

ps. dont expect any kind of compensation, like they got promised on the german homepage.

A

alithiel50

this also means that Albs must either decide that they will not get back the Relics, or that they will do an Alarm clock raid (ofcourse in that case they will be as lame as Mids), or that they will designate a force of no more than 200 Albs and try and take them.
Theres another option that you've missed... we carry on crashing Midgard until the Mids get bored of defending and we take our Relics back!

I'm pretty sure this is the option that most Albs will choose... ;)

A

Auriel

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GOA have released some more info

Originally posted by Sibanac
http://vnboards.ign.com/Fans_Round_Table/b5176/62267144/?13

Serversoftware not up to scratch :)

Ok, so the Excalibur crashes arn't exceptional... nice to know in a way :p Hopefully Frontiers will sort this out when they force us to zone into a combined frontier without any homelands attached (at least I think that's what they're talking about :p)

R

riv

"Theres another option that you've missed... we carry on crashing Midgard until the Mids get bored of defending and we take our Relics back!"

you sad, sad bastard.

A

alithiel50

Originally posted by riv
"Theres another option that you've missed... we carry on crashing Midgard until the Mids get bored of defending and we take our Relics back!"

you sad, sad bastard.
It's a lot less sad than an alarm clock raid... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom