[GOA]Erivoss, Kemor or Zargar...

Solarius

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
134
...can you confirm if any marketting strategy is being employed within the countries which play on the English speaking servers for the upcoming release of ToA?

This is a good opportunity to increase the new player base, however with just 5 weeks to go (from last Fridays News article on the GoA website), I've yet to see a single advert from any media source. In fact, in the most recent addition of Game(tm), they have articles about MMORPGs from SOE, and the release lists include Everquest II, Warhammer Online, Horisons: Empire of Istaria.. but no mention of ToA.

I understand that exact marketting strategies cannot be discussed on an open forum, but it would be nice to know if any advertising is planned?
 

Cyfr

Banned
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,726
No, goa don't have the intelligence to take advantage of marketing. In about 5months it will dawn on them that they should have advertised.
 

Sigurd

Banned
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
911
They are planning a very clever advertising campaign: at live televised football matches around Europe, a woman will strip and run onto the pitch with BUY written on one breast and TOA on the other. It can't fail...
 

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
489
Adds in UK, Swedish, Dannish, Finnish, spanish papers just for 2 servers ? :m00:
 

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
1,416
toa is like

elite high level uber artifacts and master lvls

what new players need to care about that ^_^

OH... BOATS! (had them in uo for like 7 years)
 

Speeedy

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
421
Ning said:
Adds in UK, Swedish, Dannish, Finnish, spanish papers just for 2 servers ? :m00:

Well.. just for one really.. do you really want more people on Excal? :m00:
 

Solarius

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
134
Ning said:
Adds in UK, Swedish, Dannish, Finnish, spanish papers just for 2 servers ? :m00:
Are you saying that the players on the English servers are going to have to live with limited exposure (read that none) and just two servers with no chance of the playerbase expanding to the point to justify a third server, just because there are only two servers?

GOA have continually said that there will be no plans for a third English speaking classic (ie not PvP or PvE) server unless the playerbase grows to sufficient numbers. Yet we never saw any advertising for the release of SI and, tbh, I wouldn't be surprised to see no advertising for ToA. Without additional exposure, the number of subscriptions can only go in one direction for these servers: down.

So I say yes, advertising in those countries JUST for two servers.
 

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
489
Solarius said:
Are you saying that the players on the English servers are going to have to live with limited exposure (read that none) and just two servers with no chance of the playerbase expanding to the point to justify a third server, just because there are only two servers?

GOA have continually said that there will be no plans for a third English speaking classic (ie not PvP or PvE) server unless the playerbase grows to sufficient numbers. Yet we never saw any advertising for the release of SI and, tbh, I wouldn't be surprised to see no advertising for ToA. Without additional exposure, the number of subscriptions can only go in one direction for these servers: down.

So I say yes, advertising in those countries JUST for two servers.
I meant that it would cost much more money to avertise in all these countries than they could get by selling DAOC. The EU is not (yet ?) like the USA where Mythic have just to put 3 or 4 ads in the most popular videogame papers to be sure that most of the american players know its product. There are not 50 papers (1 for each States).

Moreover, there are no any ads in germany for DAOC but the number of german players is still rising.
 

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
765
k9awya said:
toa is like

elite high level uber artifacts and master lvls

what new players need to care about that ^_^

OH... BOATS! (had them in uo for like 7 years)
WHAIN, off subject, trolling etc :eek:
 

Solarius

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
134
I agree with you of sorts, Ning. But, a few things to consider.

Why are there only two english speaking servers? Given the number of countries they serve, you would imagine that there would be many more players than there are. I don't know enough about the state of play in France or Gemany, but in the UK I have NEVER seen any adverts at all from UK PC mags etc, and only once have I seen any positive media coverage at all, and that was in one month of PCZone. Given that the game had been live for so long by then, thats pretty poor. I don't even remember seeing reviews or adverts when the game first went live. On the other hand, WHO is due out some time this quarter, and so far I've seen no less than three magazines with articles about it, and in two of those mags there are articles about MMORPGs in general, and neither of them even mention DAOC - plenty of focus on SWG, Horisons and Everquest/Everquest II though.

I really believe that not enough is being done to promote this game, and for me thats a real shame. With all the new MMORPGs coming out, I honestly can see DAOC becoming another MMORPG casualty within the countries served by the english speaking servers

Edit: Forgot to add, it's not only adverts that can promote the game. What about reviews, interviews and other such information articles. A couple of these in some of the more popular gaming mags can have the same effect as advertising, but cost considerably less.
 

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
8,324
Sigurd said:
They are planning a very clever advertising campaign: at live televised football matches around Europe, a woman will strip and run onto the pitch with BUY written on one breast and TOA on the other. It can't fail...
last time they got kemor to do that - didn't work very well - all the blokes winced and looked away :( and that's 85% of the target audience..
 

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Messages
520
maybe he should write BUY and TOA on his chest instead of on his buttcheeks then
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom