GFX+PSU=Help

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
Ok im sure FH has touched on this subject before but I was wondering if anyone can help me specifically… I’m running an AMD Athlon 64 3400, 1GIG ram, Gforce fx 5700 Ultra with a DVD writer and a CDr. All this is powered by an 480W psu (Thermal take - silent purepower 480W). I bought it thinking it was 500W but turns out it’s (Up to 500W) and doesn’t change at all. Each time I start up and get to windows where an Nvidia box pops up telling me the gfx card’s performance is limited due to lack of power.

Is their any way around this or do I have to get a new PSU?

KC

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm running a 6800GT with a 350w PSU. It works fine here.

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
I've not had this problem before but have you tried benchmarking it and comparing it with other systems to see if the performance you are actually getting is noticeably lower? It could just be a driver bug.

The only reason I mention it is because I didn't think 5700s were *that* power hungry. I'm running a 9800 pro/A64/2 DVD drives and 5 HDDs off a Tagan 480 and I've not had an ounce of trouble. Tbh I thought anything above 400 was overkill.

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
ahh cool thanks for the advice ill get me some new drivers and that :)

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Is there a power connector on the graphics card, and if so have you put a Molex in to power it up ?
I have a 5700 LE in my sons machine and don't remember a Molex and it never gave me the 'not enough power' error, but when I was dicking with the wifes machine, before I found out the card was fubared, I booted it without the Molex plugged in, this is a 5950XT card, and it gave me the 'running in slowmo due to insufficient power' message.
Hope that is of some use, one other thing, if possible try and use a molex that is not used anywhere else, the Antec PSU I used to build the last two comps had 3 or 4 12 volt power leads with two molex connectors per lead.

Later

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
That sounds like my problem hit rite on the head Gengi, thanks.
I’m not as experienced as id like with this. In the pop up box I explained about in the previous post, if you select trouble shoot it mentions about power being connected to the card. I looked on the gfx card and didn’t see anywhere to connect and I lost the Nvidia Manual…Bah really wish they’d bring back master class hehe

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
:D

I didn't realise you hadn't connect the power cable to the graphics card... Mine won't even boot without it plugged in.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Rule 1: Read the instructions.
Rule 2: Read the instructions again.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
kingcon said:
That sounds like my problem hit rite on the head Gengi, thanks.
I’m not as experienced as id like with this. In the pop up box I explained about in the previous post, if you select trouble shoot it mentions about power being connected to the card. I looked on the gfx card and didn’t see anywhere to connect and I lost the Nvidia Manual…Bah really wish they’d bring back master class hehe
So tell us which EXACT model it is and we'll get the manual online and tell you. Manufacturer, model and part code please.

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
hey hey yall! thanks for the posts. Check me out typing from my brand spankin new computer WITH a working GFX card! :D it may take me a bit + a fried HD... but i got there in the end :drink: woooh :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom