GFX card upgrade advice sought

F

Faeldawn

Time has come to upgrade my GFX card.

Looking at 128 GF4, was hoping for some input from decent gfx card owners, btw im poor, so cannae afford top end stuff ;)

thx

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Time has come to upgrade my GFX card.

Looking at 128 GF4, was hoping for some input from decent gfx card owners, btw im poor, so cannae afford top end stuff ;)

thx
Dont buy any MX card

64 GF4 4200ti will do more then nicely if yer starved for cash

B

boni_ofdavoid

Always upgrade to the best you can afford. If its not the best now it will be obsolete very soon.

GF4ti series, wouldnt even consider a non nvidia base card these days, mainly just cause of driver instabality and you can bet its been tested on a GF.

4600 I would go for.

F

Faeldawn

You must be psychic, i was just looking at an ABIT 64m GF4 4200 :)

E

Eldri

I tried to upgrade to a Geforce Ti4200 128mb (was given it as a christmas pressie) but the damn thing caused crashes every minute - no exaggeration, I was unable to run anything, never mind DAoC. Tried all the usual fixes plus many more, even got it tested at 2 separate pc shops
In the end I bought a Radeon 9500 Pro which has been running fine, had no trouble with it all for 3+ months I've had it.

Have a Ti4200 going cheap if anyone's interested tho.

S

SilverHood

Gotta reinstall Direct X when you install a new GeForce card, and then install the drivers for the card.

S

SoulFly Amarok

gf 4's too old.

Radeon 9700's the way to go imo.

Full dx 9 support etc.

9700pro's too expensive tho :p

K

kirennia

Re: Re: GFX card upgrade advice sought

Originally posted by Sibanac
Dont buy any MX card

64 GF4 4200ti will do more then nicely if yer starved for cash

what he said.

And if it crashes your computer every couple of minutes, bear in mind it isn't compatibale with 486's ;)

D

Danya

I have a Ti4600 and very happy with it. :)

If you're getting crashes every couple of minutes send it back and get replacement/refund. Don't pay for something that doesn't work.

J

jua-cosmos-jua

i am with radeon 9700 pro. The game is too old for this card and i must say even a geforce 3 has better frames than the 9700 pro. But i havent installed the si, looking forward too but for now 9700 pro and daoc dont go welltogether

G

Gurthaur

get a radeon, they are cheaper than nvidias cards and the recent ones are better aswell...

T

thorwyntf

NVidia is going down. Their "new" card doesn´t even beat the rather old Radeon 9700 and it´s louder than a vaccum cleaner. ATI having problems with driver instabilities is a myth. They´ve done a lot to fix this over the past months. We have about 10 boxes with different configurations and OS´s for testing purposes and all are working just fine.
Radeon 9700 is rather expensive atm, but it´s getting cheaper as soon as 9800 will be released. But even the "cheapest" Radeon 9000 is aproximately on par with a Ti42000, Ti still having a slight edge but far from deciding.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by boni_ofdavoid
Always upgrade to the best you can afford. If its not the best now it will be obsolete very soon.

I disagree - the top-end graphic cards always have a 'new card' markup...

and even if it is the best now it will be obsolete very soon :)

V

Vasconcelos

Winfast or MSI GFORCE4 ti4200 128mb MyViVo. More than enuff for DAOC SI n incoming games, cheap n reliability. Plus, some extras for DVD edition, n for conect PC to TV.

Around 190€

O

old.FIN

well buy what u can afford, but even little less will be enough.

buy more RAM!!

im running game with 32mb gf 2 ddr, with 1,5 gig ram ddr 333.

and i will buy some gpx card when time.

if u have 512, then buy more ram. if u have 256, then dont play before u have more ram.

M

Molten Lava

Played

Tried the game with 3 configurations:

PII 900mhz, 256Mb, Gforce3Mx 32mb (worked with everything turned down to minimum, but crashed now and then)

PII 900mhz, 256Mb, Gforce4Ti4200 64mb works just fine...cannot play the game with all settings at max though

AMD-II 2Ghz, 512Mb Gforce4Ti4400 128mb, works great PvP seems a bit less laggy even with all things turned up to the max..

A

Affri

Best bang for buck out right now has got to be the Radeon 9500 pro. It's on par with Ti4400 performance and it outperforms a Ti4600 with FSAA / AS enabled. Full DX9 support too.

B

braudristin

Radeon 9800 Pro is, I think, the best card on the market.

Some people are having problem with Radeon drivers though.

MX cards are not good for gaming because they have no Pixel/Vertex Shaders and they have low core/memory clock.

Radeon fully supports and performs well with DirectX v9.0

S

svartmetall

I have 128MB GF4Ti4600, and it's awesome...nVIDIA's drivers still own ATI's hands down so I'd say go for a Ti4600 mate.

F

Faeldawn

Dont think my mobo can support the x8 cards, e.g. 128m GF4 Ti4200.

Shame tho, coz i won £130 on the Grand National to fund my upgrade, wont streach to a new mobo tho :)

G

Genesis_of_Ak

If you got a spare £3,000 knocking about, go and order yourself a custom-made Alienware PC. You won't find a higher spec games PC. Uber configuration is 1GB RAM, 1TB (terabyte) 7200 Hardrive (8 x 200 GB), etc etc - check it out - but I do prefer the look of the cases on the US site to the UK one.

BTW, I am not affiliated with Alienware !

A

aavarn

I have a GeForce Ti4400 - does the job very nicely

MOST important however is RAM - I have 512Mb would prefer the full GB

Least Important is processor (My 1.4GHz Athlon works fine, even with SI)

I have less lag etc with SI than I did with classic client.

A

aavarn

Originally posted by Genesis_of_Ak
If you got a spare £3,000 knocking about, go and order yourself a custom-made Alienware PC. You won't find a higher spec games PC. Uber configuration is 1GB RAM, 1TB (terabyte) 7200 Hardrive (8 x 200 GB), etc etc - check it out - but I do prefer the look of the cases on the US site to the UK one.

BTW, I am not affiliated with Alienware !

Or get the same PC without the terabyte of HD space you will never use without putting a hardcore Oracle/SQL Server database on your machine and save about £2000

A

aavarn

If your GeForce card is crashing your machine every few minutes, only in DAOC and other gfx intensive games, it is probably the card shutting itself down due to overheating.

1) Check that the GFX card heatsink and fan are securely attached to the card still - if not clip it back on (sometimes the heat can make it drop off)

2) Try operating the PC with the side panel off to allow more air to circulate. If this works then you have found the problem and need to buy a bigger case and more powerful cooling devices.

With me I found out that my heat sink and fan had detached themselves and haven't had any trouble since clipping it back into place. I still operate the machine without the side panel now though just to keep an eye on it (and to warm my feet!!) :)

B

belth

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Dont think my mobo can support the x8 cards, e.g. 128m GF4 Ti4200.

Shame tho, coz i won £130 on the Grand National to fund my upgrade, wont streach to a new mobo tho :)

You don't need a AGPx8 board for it to work unless the card is shit (eg. not backwards compatible). It'll run just fine in a AGPx4. Besides, nothing utilises the bandwidth on AGPx8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom