Getting a job and things that dont make sense...

Marc

FH is my second home
tris- said:
in mcdonalds, she asked what i wanted, i told her, she said "that it?" i said no bla bla, then she tryed to repeat back what i asked. it sounded like the noise a cat would make. and she didnt even ask for the money, just stuck her hand out.

I get that all the time in McDonalds!!!

I take it the job you are looking for is just for some cash whilst at uni? Have you tried sports shops like JD, JJB and that other one, Sports "something"? They are always on the look out for students to work for them. Their shifts are designed for students. For evening work what about pubs/bars? I cant speak for where you live, but a couple of friends of mine who went to uni (preston, so commuted) they found work in the bars no problem.

Gamah

Banned
tris- said:
in mcdonalds, she asked what i wanted, i told her, she said "that it?" i said no bla bla, then she tryed to repeat back what i asked. it sounded like the noise a cat would make. and she didnt even ask for the money, just stuck her hand out.

Its fucking Mcdonalds, not silver service ^^

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Its the old "need experience to get experience" thing.

You need someone to start you off.

When I started my career in banking I knew nothing and had no experience. I went to the job agencies on foot with copies of my resume under my arm. After a few weeks one of them got me a job stuffing share certificates in envelopes on £6 an hour. I spent a year at that bank and I got a job offer from Goldman Sachs (one of the most elite US investment banks in the world).

Sort your CV out. Spent a LOT of time preparing it. If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Get advice. You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression.

Post it on monster.co.uk

See job agencies in person.

Get professional advice on how to present yourself in the best possible light when applying for jobs.

Check newspapers for job ads.

Use the internet. Target intelligently recruiters. They wanna earn commission from you so its in their best interests to help you.

GL

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
so i have lived in england for 20 years. i am currently studying to degree level at a recommended university for my course.

i speak fluent english.

i have achieved 68 and 80% thus far in my scientific mathematics modules at uni.

yet for 6 months, i cannot get a job. no matter how many applications i put in, where i put them into, i cannot find a single job.

but BEHOLD!

someone clearly not from this country (or at least poorly educated), who cant speak english correctly, needs a calculator to add 2+5 and then take 7 off it, gets a job.

how does this work? in what mother fucking way is that person better suited for the shittest job you can think of than i am.

i am desperate, i need a fucking job. why does it goto some random bastard probably not my country instead of me?

SOMEONE TEL MEH?!

how do you know they cant speak english? just out of interest

and as others have said, if its a low grade job they are likely to go with people who will keep that job and not see it as a job for money for 2-3 months.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Lamp said:
Sort your CV out

my CV is sorted. i had the HR department of a long term job i had do it for me :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
tris- said:
my CV is sorted. i had the HR department of a long term job i had do it for me :D

Remember to paperclip the £20 note to it, rather than use a staple :p

Tilda

post/host your CV.
post/host copies of applications and let the CV Dr take a peek.

tris-

gifv email or msn noob :(

tris-

omg lol i like totally emptied them

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
When I got my masters, I want to move to either England or Germany to look for a job! Your salaries are almost twice as high as in Sweden within my future line of work. :england:

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:
I went through same thing mate :(

Its shit when you see all the Eastern Block citizens coming in a going straight into work when you have been looking for ages

I was unemplyed for 9 months once, just could not get a job :(

Send them to us, here the immigrants dont work at all :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
origionally posted my tris: i speak fluent english.

rofl not when your drunk matey.

anyhoo back to topic,

I am 27 now and have only just gained my GCSE A-C math and english this year so for 10 years i was out running about getting jobs with absoloutely no qualifications at all (and i never once lied on an application to say i did have any) i've had many good jobs and a few crap ones but i've always got a job if i wanted it, i have been long term unemployed but that was through illness and as soon as i was fit to work i got a job 3 days after that.

Where i work now (asda... bleh) they have a lot of foreign people that do the cleaning, im not sure where they're from, we always say hi but when they are talking to eachother it is in "a language i do not understand" and i really do not envy them that job one little bit.

If your desperate for a job just apply for as many jobs as possible, doing anything (it's all experiance) ad once youve done it for a few months you can start looking for a better job if you dont like it its easier to get a job when you have a job, that never used to make sence to me but it does now.

Agency employment is a great way to go my bf was signed on to a temp agency and though he worked in several different places he always had money coming in and got his presant perminant job through the agency, just keep trying and dont give up if you apply for everything and get several offers its better for you then you can pick the best one where if you just go for a handfull the choices are likely to be limited.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
tris- said:
what im saying is why do people most likely not from this country and cannot speak proper english get a job when someone who can speak fluent english from this country cant?

Tis only assumption but you can shit on a foreigner and he'll more than likely say thanks....you can abuse foreign workers because they cant always say "see ya i dont wanna put up with that crap"

If you are having trouble then maybe try this (you got nothing to loose), goto a job centre, they have people who can arrange an appointment to discuss your CV.

Simple things such as the layout and order of information can determine whether it gets instantly binned.

I know you had someone look at yours but several opinion's are always better than just 1

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Bahumat said:
Simple things such as the layout and order of information can determine whether it gets instantly binned.

100% correct

You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression.

Repped

tris-

just thought id revive this instead of making a seperate thread.

can someone explain why a job centre and their publications would have different languages than english, when infact you need to speak basic english to get a job here?

even a factory job requires you to have at least a C in english language, because you need to read and complete forms to do the job properly.

i dont know any job that is 'lower' (for lack of a better word) than any other job than a factory job.
i mean fuck, even to be a cleaner you need to be able to read the instructions or understand the verbal instructions to operate what ever you are using. and to understand health and safety. even if its a hoover. you have to understand the health and safety to using it. yes its stupid, but if you happen to do something stupid then the company isnt liable if they have told you how to use it.

so if the person cant understand the words "job centre" how can they understand health and safety things, how can they understand how to read and complete a form, how the fuck can they understand anything?

my view, it points them in the correct direction to claim benefits. while long standing UK citizens cant get jobs, go into debt, cant feed their kids etc.

as you may be able to tell - im fucking pissed off. ive had to go to the bottom and work in mc donalds. but im sure if an immigrant came and asked to work my position would be taken and given to them. otherwise mc donalds is discriminating them because they cant speak english, or their skin colour isnt white, or they have 6 wives or some shit :/

and now the thing is, i feel i have to defend my self and say - im not racist.

because otherwise the PC brigade would jump in and say "you are racist!"

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
I worked in McDonalds for my first job! If nothing else, it teaches you self restraint :) Oh and it does have the potential for a few laughs, like when large people order 2 supersized Big Mac meals with diet cola for themselves :) Or when the local Asian family comes in and orders 6 Fillet-o-fish which are the worst thing to make :)

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
Other countries have the same type of jobs as the UK you know?

Im fucking sure they do, Each time i phoned Tiscali when i had net problems, The guy on the end certainly wasnt called bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom