George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire

O

old.Xarr

Anyone read this 'trilogy'?

A friend of mine recommended it to me and I'm planning to pick it up when I get the chance. Just thought I'd check if anyone here has read it and see if they like it as much...

Cheers

L

leggy

I have just started the first book in the series. A game of thrones.

Seems pretty bloody good so far.

M

Munkey-

Been extolling this series for a while now, in here particularly. a riveting good read and i love the way it has such a focus yet encompasses sooo many characters.

cant wait for the next book!

Wolfehs reading this too but i havent seem him for a while since he stated he was getting hitched.

T

Tenko

They're all completely fucking marvelous.

As long as you like continous plotlines that is (The books are in know way stand alone novels, a point which got one book reviewed quite badly in SFX). They are extroadinarily brutal, well written fantasy novels.

The focus on the politics lends a particular viciousness to each volume and I have said many times before that it is the very best fantasy series being written today.

Now... Whose your favourite character?

Mines Arya :)

M

Munkey-

I started on the second book by mistake, confusing but it did make sense and diddnt ruin the plot that much.

My favourite character has to be the Onion merchant.

K

kan

after reading WOT i found A Song of Ice and Fire outstanding with a fast pace and excellent charactors.

jon snow is my fave

A

Anasyn

would someone mind just listing these books in order so that I can pick them up too? atm I'm just finishing book 9 of WoT, then have a discworld book, and then 2 Micheal Stackpole books, but I'll read it after! I promise! lol :rolleyes:

I build up extensive backlogs of books, start getting somewhere in getting through them, then spend about £30 on more.. it's quite depressing that at one point I had a backlog of 9 books waiting to be read (I've still got.. 4 and a bit to go, not counting the ones I'm on.. of that 9, not to count the damned discworld one I brought the other day.. *sigh*)

M

Munkey-

A game of thrones
A clash of kings
A storm of swords

Are out at the moment, waiting for 'A feast for crows' to come out soon, hopefully.

A

Anasyn

cheers. made a note of that, will buy them soon-ish

K

kan

just finished book 3 part 2 and omfg how mad is this set of books.

you really do never know what's happening next

O

old.milou

I've never really read any fantasy, but some friends have also recommended these wholeheartedly so it looks like I'll be giving them a go (some great reviews elsewhere too).

And Anasyn I know what you mean about a backlog (I must have about 20 on the "must get through shelf") but there's always new must-haves most months :)

T

Testin da Cable

hmmm I've heard about these from friends, and have become enthused. as I was planning on getting some new reads from my mate at the local bookstore I shall look into A game of thrones.

E

Eleasias

The best fantasy serie ever written in my opinion (everyone who disagrees is wrong btw). Cant wait for the 4th book to be released.

~drool~

S

SilverHood

will have to get those I think... love fantasy politics :)

...once I finish with my myriad of other books I've lying about but never got around to reading :)

E

Eleasias

Originally posted by SilverHood
...once I finish with my myriad of other books I've lying about but never got around to reading :)
Should skip all those cause they will be really crap compared to this serie -_-

S

SilverHood

doubt it

Dune, and its followers are master pieces :)

Had me locked in my room all weekend reading. Damn cheap entertainment, didn't cost me a penny! Well, except the book cost. Cheaper than a saturday night on the town anyway :)

Anyway, need the next ones in the series, and a Uni book, so will grab " A Game of Thrones" while I'm at it.

Need to make it over 25 quid so I dont have to pay shipping :)

R

Rulke-RM

Aye, Dune is fantastic, up to Children of Dune (imo), but A Song of Ice and Fire is something special.

S

SilverHood

*sigh*

I can see myself ordering the entire series for some christmas reading.

Damn that first book is good. Amazingly readable too.... not sure who I like the best though.

The Hound is class, and Jon Snow is probably the character I associate most with.

M

Munkey-

I like the dwarf the best......but then perhaps i'm twisted.

S

SilverHood

*sigh*

I did it.

Ordered all the books in the seriers available from amazon.

Those vouchers my bro gave me came in handy...
Nothing like paying 8 quid for a £23 order :)

D

Damini

Well, I bought the first book for my dad as a birthday present on you lot's recommendation here, and he is now an addict as well (the rest keep cropping up in xmas hints). Guess I'll have to get round to reading them some time soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread