GeForce MX 440 :/

T

Teh Fonz!!1

Okay, I just checked my PC and it appears I have a GeForce MX440. :(

I know, MX are teh shit and don't complement Shrouded Isles the best it could.

My question is:

Is it worth it to just go and buy a decent GeForce4 card or are the things I'll miss in SI not worth it really?

What will I miss out on with the above card as well?

My PC spec is Athlon XP 1.6.
Very new motherboard with lots of lovely cache
512 mb ddr ram
Broadband

O

old.m0000

AFAIK you'll only miss the "funky" new effects such as water and real-shadows

id wait till u get si and see if you really want whatever it is you cant see

O

old.mattshanes

I had that card and now have a ti4400 A LOT of improvement fps wise,if you don't have enough cash go for ti4200.

E

erl

I'd say don't bother to buy a new one. It'll probably work out ok, maybe not the best performance in the world, but it'll work quite good I think. If you don't got alot of spare money lying around and don't have anything better to spend it on though :p.

N

Novamir

I'll sell you my Geforce 3 Ti200 with 64mb ram if you want for a very reasonable price. (seriously). Been used for 3 months, no overclocking, card has been 100% reliable.

I jsut upgraded to a 128mb geforce 4 so i need to get some money back :)

S

Sharma

aye ive been using a GF3 Ti 200 (Creative model) its a very reliable card and heard wearing had it for a year now, wouldnt really buy and other till GF FX

P

Pempulla

Any Geforce3 should do fine, as should a Radeon8500/9100 (which are extremely cheap too). Basically the advantage of having a Geforce4Ti to those cards is that you can enable antialiasing with it. If you are not into AA any of the 'cheaper cards' (Dx8 compatible, e.g. Geforce3/3Ti and Radeon8500 an up) will do very well. My guess would be that a Geforce4mx440 runs the game just fine although you do have to sacrifice the new effects.

M

Madonion Slicer

Sell the MX to some noob, and buy a Ti200 or ATI9000 for around £60.

Sorted

F

Flimgoblin

if you ever go to Caer Sidi without a shadows-enabled card you'll be upset :(

(well if you see any screenshots from your fellows)

http://daocfrat.free.fr/alvi/SI/rushalb/29.jpg

*wants a geforce 4 or a geforce 3Ti*

That said... after 10 minutes you'll probably switch off the reflections et al to speed it all up :)

T

Teh Fonz!!1

What if I buy :

718419_01_huge.jpg

CREATIVE L
CTL TI4200 3DBLAST
CREATIVE L TI4200

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 chipset
64MB DDR Memory at 500 MHz
8 GB/sec Memory Bandwidth
Full Screen DVD + Integrated TV encoder
Output flexibility: VGA, DVI + TV-out

The 3D Blaster® 4 Titanium 4200 gives gamers Titanium power and tremendous value for money. Built on the nfinteFX™ II engine for almost unlimited special effects, it has 64MB of DDR RAM at 500MHz plus pixel and vertex shaders that give incredible animations and surface textures. It processes up to 113 million vertices/second at fill rates up to 4 billion samples/second. Its new graphics core, with dual 350Mhz RAMDACS and bandwidth up to 8 GB/second, optimises nView™ display technology, Lightspeed Memory™, Architecture II and Accuview Antialising™. It is highly compatible and connectable, supporting AGP 2x/4x, VGA, DVI and TV-out to work the way any gamer wants.

So, is this a card that will give me shadows and water effects and all that bollocks?

A

Anu

I just ordered a Radeon 9500 128MB DDR AGP :D and 512k more memory

Memory cost £65
GFX Card Cost £140

Not bad IMO :)

THink SI will be fine

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by Anu
I just ordered a Radeon 9500 128MB DDR AGP :D and 512k more memory

Memory cost £65
GFX Card Cost £140

Not bad IMO :)

THink SI will be fine

At that price you should be able to find a 9500 PRO card though... and the Pro version is quite a bit faster than the 'basic' 9500, so...

Unless you belong to the lucky few who can (if even possible on that card, can't tell it's not possible for sure without seeing the card, but can't ever tell it is possible 100%) 'hack' the card into a 9700.... the 9500 non-pro really is not the card to go for imo.

And Oxygens 'Gf3Ti500 is better than the Ti4200' is simply wrong (biased opinion, oxy ;)?).

T

Teh Fonz!!1

So the above card, pro or not, will be able to give me the SI fluff?

P

Pempulla

Originally posted by Teh Fonz!!1
So the above card, pro or not, will be able to give me the SI fluff?

Yes. Will probably do just fine, really :). And the 9500 non-pro is a fine card, don't get me wrong, although quite noticeably slower than the 9500 Pro in certain situs.

A

agraucred

id go for a 4200 if i were you, the mx range is really poor, and even if SI runs, itll be struggling, and future games will play pretty bad. the 4200 is about 100-125 quid now, that should keep you going for now. the FX isnt going to be worth the 400quid price tag, and at the moment it might not even get released, its improvements on the pro9700 are way to small considering its 500mhz clock speed over the ati 375mhz(i think)

get a ti4200, and if you want a serious card get the nv-35 when its out in june/july time.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

CREATIVE L
CTL TI4200 3DBLAST
CREATIVE L TI4200

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 chipset
64MB DDR Memory at 500 MHz
8 GB/sec Memory Bandwidth
Full Screen DVD + Integrated TV encoder
Output flexibility: VGA, DVI + TV-out

So that would be okay would it?

P

Pempulla

Yes.

Lots of people hanging around BW atm it seems lol.

A

agraucred

yup, my 4600 is a creative, never had a problem with it. stable cards

T

Thorarin

My PC spec is Athlon XP 1.6.
Very new motherboard with lots of lovely cache
512 mb ddr ram
Broadband

Personally I'd get a new card, a MX 440 is not up to spec compared to the rest of your hardware, especially if you consider the fact that you are apparently a gamer ;)

O

old.0xygen

I'd disagree the ti4200 is not as powerful as the gf3 ti500 which is considerably cheaper.

Of course it doesn't have the super new features that the gf4 has but only a few games use them so I'm holding out on a top end gf4 for probably a year

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom