GeFORCE FX5950 or Radeon 9800Pro?

Gillian

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

I am upgrading my system to the best graphics I can. it seems its one of the these two cards. Has anyone got either card installed ? If so, any issues? (I ask because neither are on the officially supported list for SI)

I will be using the 256mb version of whichever I go for.

Thanks in advance

Gillian - Excal Inf 50
Rabid Excal Sorc 50

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
it would be the 9800XT or 9550 no?

Im currently running a 9600pro and getting a quite a few BSoD's with the ati driver being the problem.

Regardless, the ATI fanbois will say 9800XT and the Nvidia fanbois will say 9550.
Imo? go 9550 as ATI employ monkeys to write thier drivers..

:flame:

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
I generally go for Nvidia cards because the drivers are usually more stable. Having said that I'd say the ATI is probably a better card and when ATi learn to write drivers it'll blow the GeForce out of the water.

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
i run the 9800 myself and apart from the /vidreset glitch that happens i have no problems at all with the card apart from when there is 1000 players in odins then i get a lil lag :D

have a look at www.madonion.com they run the 3D benchmarking program they with have an unbiased view there :cheers:

Gillian

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the feedback.....at least I know the ATI will work...if a little buggy....I had heard from friends that the ATI drivers can be buggy.....but at least the board is confirmed to work with DAoC....now I just need someone to confirm they have the nVIDEA 5950 card running with DoAC......then I have choice :)

Thx

Gillian infi 50 excal
Rabid Sorc 50 Excal

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
If you opt for the Radeon 9800 Pro,the new driver version 4.1 was released today.
:)

Gorel-Truesight

Fledgling Freddie
Ok

here are the lists of tested and supported cards for

Shrouded Isles and Trials of Atlantis

Remember that TOA is just round the corner

I personally would go for the Nvidia based cards due to the far better driver support. However the ATI cards are still good once u can get them going.

Gillian

Fledgling Freddie
Thx for the info...the 9800 pro is supported in ToA...and the 5900 is too which bodes well for the 5950....in the final analysis...and based on price as well as performance I am going for a 9800 pro...thx for your help guys and gels.

punchy

Fledgling Freddie
got a 9600xt for xmas, had to put latest ATI reference drivers on before SI would work. Other than that absolutely zero problems. I understand ATI have the edge in DX9 graphics, at least for now, think ToA is a DX9 rendering engine (uses programable vertex shaders - whatever they are :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom