Geforce 6600 - game crashing

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Just had my gfx card upgraded from 5700 ultra to 6600. All drivers up to date, also tried previous driver that worked with 5700 card, but still getting same problem.

Basically what happens is that once game loads up, I get flickering lines across the screen for about 30 seconds, before entire thing locks up and I have to restart the pc. Have same problem on Rome:Total War. However, tried a couple of other games, including Far Cry (which needs a high end pc) and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Firstly, have you updated/reinstalled Directx?

Influenza

Part of the furniture
My m8 had the same problem the other day , he hadnt fitted the powerlead from the PSU to the card (some have thier own power connector).
Its like the one that connects to the hard drive.

Maybe you missed it ?

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
Firstly, have you updated/reinstalled Directx?

Version 9.0c installed and seems to be working fine. Ran dxdiag and no problems, and Far Cry runs fine, so don't think it's that.

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
i have GF gt6600 in my comp now...works like a charm...i used the drivers i got with the card and have no problems

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive got 2x pci-e 6600gt's. I had similar problems when I first installed them, weird artifacts over the screen etc. When I checked the gpu speed and mem speed were hugely overclocked for some strange reason. Toning them down back to the factory settings sorted it out.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Skaven said:
Ive got 2x pci-e 6600gt's. I had similar problems when I first installed them, weird artifacts over the screen etc. When I checked the gpu speed and mem speed were hugely overclocked for some strange reason. Toning them down back to the factory settings sorted it out.

Hmm how do I do that?

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Ok got that installed. According to the clock frequency tab, mine is set to no overclocking. The manual overclock settings (which isn't ticked) are set at 300mhz for core clock and 500mhz for memory clock. I'm assuming that's all how it should be.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
yep, stock settings are fine then. Guess its something else :(

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
go to the overclockers.co.uk forum and search for the thread about 6600gt`s overheating Bracken.
theres instructions there to activate heat monitoring on your card.
if its overheating get it replaced.

illu

Part of the furniture
Maybe power supply too? 6600's eat lots of power and you need a good PSU.

And like someone said - check that you have put one of those power leads directly into the card.

Oli - Illu

MaCaBr3

Banned
I assume you have the AGP version of the the 6600GT wich is imo the very crap.

I had a 6600GT AGP too and I was having same very irritating problems with it like computer locking up during gameplay or computer was randomely rebooting.

Bought a new 900 Watt PSU because I thought that was the problem (I have 4HD and 2 CD/DVD writers wich eat up quite some power) but didn't solve anything.

After some googling I found a link to the nvidia forums where shitloads of people had the same problem. Turns out the main cause is that a whole batch of the AGP cards have a overheating problem. If ur card doens't show the GPU temperature you can enable it by modifying the bios (at ur own risk - cant find the link anymore tho, I'll look for it).

So I returned my to store and after 1 month I received a brand new one. Worked well for quite some time till a few days ago, I rebooted my computer and the it's all black...the monitor doesn't get any video signal, tried on other compture still same problem.

I'm like "fuck this" and I bought a whole new motherboard with pci-express, new processor and a new 6600GT PCI-E version and it runs very smooth now.

Kinda stupid that I had to upgrade my system, but I was soo annoyed with the AGP card, that I decided to upgrade to PCI-E and I can still use my old parts for a 2nd computer ;)

Od system:

Abit NF7-S
AMD 2500+
1 gig ram
Saphire 6600GT AGP

New system:

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD 3000+ 64bit
1.5 Gig Ram
MSI 6600GT PCI-E

Adrianicus

Loyal Freddie
MaCaBr3 said:
I assume you have the AGP version of the the 6600GT wich is imo the very crap.

I had a 6600GT AGP too and I was having same very irritating problems with it like computer locking up during gameplay or computer was randomely rebooting.

Bought a new 900 Watt PSU because I thought that was the problem (I have 4HD and 2 CD/DVD writers wich eat up quite some power) but didn't solve anything.

After some googling I found a link to the nvidia forums where shitloads of people had the same problem. Turns out the main cause is that a whole batch of the AGP cards have a overheating problem. If ur card doens't show the GPU temperature you can enable it by modifying the bios (at ur own risk - cant find the link anymore tho, I'll look for it).

So I returned my to store and after 1 month I received a brand new one. Worked well for quite some time till a few days ago, I rebooted my computer and the it's all black...the monitor doesn't get any video signal, tried on other compture still same problem.

I'm like "fuck this" and I bought a whole new motherboard with pci-express, new processor and a new 6600GT PCI-E version and it runs very smooth now.

Kinda stupid that I had to upgrade my system, but I was soo annoyed with the AGP card, that I decided to upgrade to PCI-E and I can still use my old parts for a 2nd computer ;)

Od system:

Abit NF7-S
AMD 2500+
1 gig ram
Saphire 6600GT AGP

New system:

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD 3000+ 64bit
1.5 Gig Ram
MSI 6600GT PCI-E

Sounds exactly like the problems ive been having with mine.
Thanks for the info.
Will check if its overheating!
What temperature is considered to be too high (overheating) for a graphics card?

Kaelimar

Fledgling Freddie
Bracken said:
Just had my gfx card upgraded from 5700 ultra to 6600. All drivers up to date, also tried previous driver that worked with 5700 card, but still getting same problem.

Basically what happens is that once game loads up, I get flickering lines across the screen for about 30 seconds, before entire thing locks up and I have to restart the pc. Have same problem on Rome:Total War. However, tried a couple of other games, including Far Cry (which needs a high end pc) and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

brand on that gfx?`

i had a gainward nvidia card .. a cheaper 1 that had same problem. some games runs fine. but when i loaded daoc .. lines all over screen

result = got a new card from the shop

MaCaBr3

Banned
Adrianicus said:
Sounds exactly like the problems ive been having with mine.
Thanks for the info.
Will check if its overheating!
What temperature is considered to be too high (overheating) for a graphics card?

My computer was rebooting at 110° and got there fast after a few minutes.

Average temp on the card while playing games shouldn't be more then 70°

Kasall

Fledgling Freddie
I had the same problem with the GForce 4200 so I replaced it with the 5700,
I used to play with a deskfan blowing inside my case until I upgraded my GFX card.
It was determined as an overheating problem.
I replaced the heatsink and fan from Inno 3D and it worked fine in my other computer.

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
Wow you have nice shops. My shop just returned my 6600gt and said it was fine.
Too bad I still have random crashes in just about every game.:twak:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom