Gears 2

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
afgree that it just like gow1 gfx wise. scripted set pieces are preety damn good
enjopying it. it seems far easir despite the supposed increase of freaks to kill in each map
I think the second is a bit harder so far like. I'm playing it on the second hardest difficulty atm, only cause the hardest isn't unlocked yet. So far so good though, thus far though I'm prefering the first GoW story to 2, seemed a lot more "against the odds".

Yaka

Part of the furniture
got intresting after you discover the big worms are for

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Was a bit of a rash opinion really, since I've barely touched the single player :p

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Just finished it...

Insert whine about shit ending here.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
think im almost there as well some kinda seas monster bit.

the facility bit seemed kinda takked on trying to do a bit ot ss2 and bioshock shit.

all in all enjoying it more than gow

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
They've tried their best to improve it, and it is slightly better than the first, but the bulk of the game is still enter area, hide behind concrete block, shoot, rinse repeat.

The story is yet again redic short, and unfortuanately gears doesnt have the online play to backup the life expectancey. It just doesn't work online, they need to speed up the players snail like crawl and get rid of that useless run command.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
its better than the first, the pace is better. storys just as cack as before

dunno if its my 360 but the later levels im at the bit with the queen. textures are loading up way way slow

Starman

Part of the furniture
Nice and fast here Yaka. It's that old DVD-ROM of yours :D

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Well my 360 doesn't seem to want to load anything I put in it, awesome.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
mabe its me but why the hell they do they make a nice and slick and fast paced action game then when you get to the queen bit. you gotta jumop about avoid the pillars and hammer b button now and again. making the gunz pointless for a bit

Aada

Part of the furniture
They've tried their best to improve it, and it is slightly better than the first, but the bulk of the game is still enter area, hide behind concrete block, shoot, rinse repeat.

The story is yet again redic short, and unfortuanately gears doesnt have the online play to backup the life expectancey. It just doesn't work online, they need to speed up the players snail like crawl and get rid of that useless run command.

LOL ?

And an rts is point click point click.

At the end of the day it all comes down to how well the game is made that sets it apart from the rest of the genre.

Gears is based on a pop and shoot system that will never be changed because people who like gears like how it plays.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Got it last night, I accidently bought it when I went for some bread at Morrisons (£29.99) My flatmate and I, played through some of the campaign was enjoyable I liked the Tutorial level, looking forward to finishing it this weekend.

Aada

Part of the furniture
just finished entire game on co op and loved it from start to finish now onto insane.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno if you guys are aware, probably are being a bunch of geeks but if you run (button A) and push the left stick down instead of up it runs without the active cover stick to anything crap, I'm sure it's in the manual but i'm a bloke and don't do instructions.

Still think the online is not fast paced enough tho :D

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Hah I never knew that bob, I've never had a problem randomly sticking to walls in this one though like in the first. I love the pace of the game personally, close quater firefights in multiplayer can get so hectic :D

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
In a crisis of logic I find myself agreeing with Aada. After reading this thread one thing has struck me more than any other, to those making a critique out of not introducing anything 'new' - If it aint broke...

Surely the joy of this game is (majority) aimed at those who thoroughly enjoyed the first instalment. A continuation of the story rather than some groundbreaking technique. After all the Godfather part 2 didn't use new film techniques, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.

I see this game as a continuation of a story, regardless of if it introduces any new mechanics.

Gameplayers enjoyed the first enstalment, and if the devs deliver 'more of the same' I'll gladly have a second helping. If you didn't enjoy the first game, don't play this expecting some radical change in direction.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
In a crisis of logic I find myself agreeing with Aada. After reading this thread one thing has struck me more than any other, to those making a critique out of not introducing anything 'new' - If it aint broke...

Surely the joy of this game is (majority) aimed at those who thoroughly enjoyed the first instalment. A continuation of the story rather than some groundbreaking technique. After all the Godfather part 2 didn't use new film techniques, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.

I see this game as a continuation of a story, regardless of if it introduces any new mechanics.

Gameplayers enjoyed the first enstalment, and if the devs deliver 'more of the same' I'll gladly have a second helping. If you didn't enjoy the first game, don't play this expecting some radical change in direction.

Your "if it aint broke don't fix it" comment doesnt really work on a sequel, if it worked once lets do it again, Erm, people may have enjoyed it once, how do you know they'll put up with it again?? maybe next time everybodies sick of repeating same old again. If it aint broke only applies on 3rd-4th established installment.

Did gameplayers enjoy the first one or did the hype machine tell you you enjoyed the first one, as per the halo's it was hyped so much people thought it was great, but speaking to people after the experience, they were well it was ok i guess... personally thought the first GOW was ok at best, games like this sell regardless if they're anygood or not and when you play them you feel let down. Theres no end of threads i'm looking forward to game of year *insert title* then it's released sells by the bucket and everyone thinks is that it?????????

Personally paying £35-40 for a 5hr game (both GOW and GOW2) is a blatant ripoff and yup i should of known better but i too fell for the well this is much bigger and better and more immersive than the first bullshit marketing spam bollocks, (as for story, pretty lame on both games, especially 2)

If you want more of the same then release a budget expansion pack. I enjoyed oblivion, they released a 35hr play time expansion for £10, the game industry is taking the piss these days, a mate of mine who doesn't play a lot of games has just finished COD5 in under 5hrs.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Haha, just getting round to playing this through properly, I laughed my arse off at the:

It's a giant worm! They're sinking cities with a giant worm!"

anyone else?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
sorry to spoil your fun but epic moddelled the worm on starmans knob.

dont ask how i knows this:(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They either got the scale wrong, or the gears squad are all amoebas.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
Personally paying £35-40 for a 5hr game (both GOW and GOW2) is a blatant ripoff and yup i should of known better but i too fell for the well this is much bigger and better and more immersive than the first bullshit marketing spam bollocks, (as for story, pretty lame on both games, especially 2)

5 hour game? i'm pretty sure you're the only person with the game that got 5 hours of playtime out of it. i don't remember how long it took me to _enjoy_ the game (i thought it was amazing, one of the best i've ever played..) but i played trough it atleast 4 or 5 times, hard then hardest mode once you've finished, online on hardest mode and again co cop offline with a friend.. also enjoyed a random deathmatch here and there... one of my most played games of recent memory - loved every second of it.

only started playing gears 2 the other day, it's funn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom