Help Gaming PC

Marc

FH is my second home
So my noob cousins PC blew up so I said id look for a new PC for him. But there are literally hundreds of websites that make gaming PC. Can anyone reccomend me one of these suppliers?

Lethul

FH is my second home
I'm gonna go with the boring answer; build it yourself!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Ebuyer. Build it yourself, it really is very simple to do.

Marc

FH is my second home
Yeah but neither me nor my cuz knows how to build one!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well you can hardly plug the cpu into the slots for memory. It's not difficult, it;s even colour coded half the time these days. Simples.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
it is actually very simple. Just follow the manual, read it but dont get scared by it. Take 1 step at a time. OC forum probably have alot of good, full gaming setups you can buy. If you really really dont believe in yourself, ask some mate, surely you know 1 who can

ileks

Part of the furniture
Yeah it is really easy. And if it goes tits up just post on the overclockers forum and they will sort you out :D That's what I did anyway.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Well there's always the possibility that someone buys a AMD cpu for an Intel board. Or a 300W PSU with an I7 + a radeon (well AMD now) 5870x2. Or that the hardware isnt compatible. The latter one happends a lot actually, even to the hobbyst out there.

But yeah, I'd say build it yourself.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Go to the tech forum here post your budget and they'll sort you out with the parts. The building itself is very simple, cables are mostly colourcoded - things only fit in 1 place etc.

There's hundreds of guides on the internet, aswell as thousands of videos with step-by-step walkthroughs on how to do it. It's intimidating at first but once you've done it once you can now literary save £100s for every single computer you'll ever buy in the future. It's a sound investment not to mention that you will probably end up with better performance.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Go to the tech forum here post your budget and they'll sort you out with the parts. The building itself is very simple, cables are mostly colourcoded - things only fit in 1 place etc.

There's hundreds of guides on the internet, aswell as thousands of videos with step-by-step walkthroughs on how to do it. It's intimidating at first but once you've done it once you can now literary save £100s for every single computer you'll ever buy in the future. It's a sound investment not to mention that you will probably end up with better performance.

You can select the components you want. Power effetient, Gaming rig, Cheap, with the future in mind, etc.

Usually suppliers tend to get el cheapo mb's for their computers, which have crap specs, etc, etc. If you build your own, replacing stuff when something gets broken or just for an upgrade is much easier aswell.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
You can select the components you want. Power effetient, Gaming rig, Cheap, with the future in mind, etc.

Usually suppliers tend to get el cheapo mb's for their computers, which have crap specs, etc, etc. If you build your own, replacing stuff when something gets broken or just for an upgrade is much easier aswell.

This.

Also, if you're not confident in gettng the right components you could always go for a CPU/MB bundle. A decent one will cost around £100 and usually comes with a multi-core CPU and at least a gig of RAM. That's a good way to start out.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
There are a few small problems a completely newbie won't want to run into, like thermal pasting a heatsink or making sure the RAM goes in the right slots to get dual channel mode. Also, the connections from case to motherboard (power switch, LEDs etc) can be fiddly and not always 100% clear (though I haven't seen a motherboard since the one I got 3 years ago :D). Nothing else can really go wrong.

Getting the right components is easy -- post here with a budget and aim (what kind of games do you wanna run / at what resolution) and I'm sure people can suggest the parts.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
See below and fill in the blanks like psu etc :p all from ebuyer

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Socket AM3 8MB L3 Cache 125W Retail Box Processor - £130

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3 onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - £68

Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V - £74.99

PALIT GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 VGA DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card - £150

Marc

FH is my second home
Thanks for the help lads. To be honest, if anyone could build a pc its my cuz, hes very methodical and likes a challenge. I can see him doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom