[Games] Wii - Resident Evil 4

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Arrived Monday, i wanted to put it through it's paces before i posted anything

I have to say i am very impressed so far, so this review is written with some bias as i did have alot of fun and i dont want to do the game injustice.

If you played the original Resident evil 4 then you will already know the story as it is another port with no additional content, but to be honest i would recommend getting the game anyway as the controls make the game so much more involving.

You view the game in the same third person, and when you pull out your weapon the camera zooms into the combat mode. The best bit about the game is the little touches, you aim with the wiimote just as you would on Zelda with the bow, where you point is there the little crosshair goes, the difference however is the fact that where you shoot the enemy does matter If you shoot the zombie in the knee they fall to the ground and start scrambling towards you. In true resident evil style te best scenes are where there are crowds of zombies charging you and you desperately try and mow down as many as you can in one shot because your low on ammo.

Movement is done using the analogue stick on the nunchick, and you enter the "aiming mode" by pressing B at which point the laser sight comes on and you shoot where you aim as mentioned previously, reloading is done by shaking the remote. It is extremly fun but it does make the game somewhat easier because of the fact you can aim preciesely where you want (bane of being a direct port i guess).
Your knife has a auto aim mode so you dont need to aim with that, you attack people with melee weapons by swinging the wii remote in a slashing motion (altho like Zelda the movement is scripted so its the same strike, but considering it is auto aimed this isnt really a issue imo). Another touch i did like was that reloading and slashing sounds come out of the wiimote adding to the enviroment further iniviting you into the game.

One thing that was changed was that the cut scenes are no longer pre-rendered videos, they are game rendered scenes while this does make the game look more consistent i did personally prefer the pre-rendered ones as they looked prettier. But that is just personal preference.

In summary, this game is worth playing for the added freedom brought to you by the controls it has the same great story as the PC and PS2 versions, and the added effect of the wiimote fits in well rather than as a tacky afterthought.
As far as negative comments go so far it does seem alot easier than the days of Resident evil on the playstation due to no new content being added or difficulty adjustments to match the new control scheme.

I think at the moment this is the best game on the Wii for the genre, if not the Wii full stop, surpasing zelda simply because of the more intuative and better implemented controls.

Will do one for Mortal Kombat when i get time as that arrived yesterday :D

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Awesome game Oo Thanks to Wii-mote this is probably the scariest game I've ever played and I've played this previously with GameCube.

In short: Same as with Zelda TP - the controls are awesome if you accept the fact that its supposed to still have the feeling of the serie (lots of Wii-mote potential not used and that's actually a good thing). While Zelda could have looked way better RE4 has rough look which fits perfectly for it (playing with 50" screen so the limits of Wii and 480p are easier to spot :S). A must have game regardless have you played it previously or not :cool:

Mortal Kombat is way easier and funnier with GameCube controller :S

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Mine arrived today, will have a go later when I get the chance!

Excited to play it now :D

I haven't played any resident evil games except the first resident evil on playstation, which I didn't like at all, so I'm hoping its somewhat different.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Never played any RE games, might have to give this a go.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Is it basically the same as the PS2 version, because that was visual stunning and had the best storyline(after Resident Evil 2)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I haven't played any resident evil games except the first resident evil on playstation, which I didn't like at all,

*Blinks, rapidly* ...... :twak::twak::twak::twak:

EDIT:

That's about as gay as not liking Die Hard... xD

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
*Smirked IRL*

Res Evil 1 was a great game, even if you didn't like it. Was a good game to watch friends play, as it WAS scary :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom