Gameplay freezes online? Cap your framerate!

G

graZe

I have a K6-2 350, and a Voodoo3 3000, so i get a good framerate in Quake2.
How ever after about a minute, the game stopped, and there was a phone jack icon on the top left of the screen.

I capped my framerate to 40, and my gameplay never halted!!!! great!!!

------------------

B

[BDU]Cort

Saw yer post re setting fps to 40. Not sure if this is correct, but I'm sure I have read somewhere that setting your framerate above 30 is a waste of time due to netquake1/2 being capped at that rate anyway. The recommended settings ive seen on most Q2 tweak sites is 31 (no idea why it's 1 more than 30, but there ya go).

Works great for me, same system too
smile.gif

M

Mr B

I've always had my cl_maxfps at 80 (even when on a modem) and never had any problems.

The difference between cl_maxfps of 30 and maxfps of 80 is astounding...

Have you tried fiddling with your "rate" setting as well - as this solved my freezing problems without having to sacrifice my beloved fps.

ps. Netcode is NOT limited to 30 fps (technically it is limited to the number of packets you can send ie. 30 fps = 30 packets per second) "rate" is the rate at which you receive data back from the server.

BOTH affect the freezes in gameplay....as does the speed at which you are connected....

Order of tweaking is therefore:

1 - Connection speed (v.90 try limiting to 40,000 with AT+MS=12,1,40000,40000 - K56Flex AT+MS=56,1,40000,40000)
2 - Rate (default is for LAN - try reducing to 3000 - 4000 (modem) 8000 (for ISDN))
3 - cl_maxfps

Hope this helps.

S

s@xon

I'm sure I'm wrong but doesn't a high framerate bugger it up for others on the server?

S@xon : )

B

[BDU]Cort

Very interesting Mr B. I toyed with maxfps and cl_maxfps and Q2 rocks nicely (even through my 56k USR sporty). Thanks
smile.gif

M

Mr B

All BW servers have their frame-rates capped to 80 (or there abouts), any more than that is just "silly".

In my experience as both a lowly HPB (with a 33.6 modem), and now a LPB (AsusCOM ISDNLink card rox), I have never had any problems with the fps/rate lagging.

- the main culpit lagging other players on a server is the Hyperblaster - mainly on CTF5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom