GAME Prices

B

buffys_boy

so Res Evil 0 costs £45 in-store and £35 on-line. so the cost of running a GAME store is £10 PER GAME???

£10 just for the privilege of shopping in-store. I knew there was a reason I didn't shop on the high-street.

L

lynchet

It is rather crap isnt it.

I also think that with the growth of online shopping and faster connections etc (making browsing round virtual shops easier etc) that a lot of high street shops are going to have a nasty shock when people refuse to pay their extortionate prices.

E

Embattle

Most probably not to be honest, it was said many years a go that online shopping would kill high street shopping but even now it still hasn't managed it.

W

whipped

Once the online store starts being able to take vouchers, I'll be a happy, happy bunny.

L

lynchet

Oh I agree its going to take a long time but longterm I think it could happen

O

old.Kez

Originally posted by Embattle
Most probably not to be honest, it was said many years a go that online shopping would kill high street shopping but even now it still hasn't managed it.
But e-commerce (such a fucking stupid word, dwarfed only by e-tailer) growth every year shows that its likely to take a large market share from high-street shops in the future, which will kill an awful lot of smaller high-street chains.

H

Happy Go Lucky

I agree £10 is too much, but you don't have to wait 2 days for

the game to arrive in the post, you can just go into town in no

time or if you're passing the store on your travels, and pick the

game up straight away.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by old.Kez
But e-commerce (such a fucking stupid word, dwarfed only by e-tailer) growth every year shows that its likely to take a large market share from high-street shops in the future, which will kill an awful lot of smaller high-street chains.

A lot of smaller chains have already been killed by the major players such as GAME, DSG Shops, Virgin, HMV etc.

Quite a few people buy on impluse and this is something that is hard to do online since you may buy on impluse but then you're forced to wait, it sort of kills the impluse effect ;)

D

Delboy

Once folk use their consoles to buy online, then you'll see an impact. ;)

D

Deadmanwalking

Ppl that use consoles for online shopping should have an extra 20% "Use s fecking PC u idiots" tax.. :cool:

S

sheepsteak

Ah yes but then they could fill out a 40 page form to apply for the "can't afford PC so I have a console" benefit.

D

Deadmanwalking

Or the good old one ... internet works on pre pentium pcs :p

D

Deadmanwalking

Even better !

"For all you wannabe geeks out there, but are to poor or tight to afford a PC ..... XBOX!! Brillient games like DOA Volleyball for u sad losers to wank over .. XBOX!"

S

sheepsteak

"All Bill wants is a better world for you and this is what gets thrown back in his face. For forty years man and boy he had to actually go to the shop to buy games. With XBOX he'll be able to buy developers whilst sitting in his living room!!"

"How can Sony better this?! We asked some guy called Dave from Sony Europe who had this to say, "Disc Read Error". Thanks for that Dave."

D

DanielB

Originally posted by old.Kez

I think you're right. As the early generations of net users get older and the internet becomes more readily available thru tv or consoles or increasingly popular laptops being marketed like mobile phones as lifestyle accesories - the regular highstreet video/music/computer/camera/book/electronic shops...in fact any shop which sells standard merchandise will have a tough time. In 20yrs the only things left will be vast hypermarkets like wallmart here in the states.

I might invest in parcelforce.

and wooo my first post - i bet it fucks up!

N

north_star

It’s simple really. It's mostly down to competition. On the web you have thousands of cut price warehouses doing software for 20% mark up. While shops tend to create a 30-40% mark-up.

Also overheads need reaching: premises rental, electric, staff wages, constant counter-theft measures etc. Each store only serves a local market share and may employ 4 up staff members.

An E-site can reach the entire globe and can easily be serviced by a small band of employees/order pickers.

B

bodhi

Originally posted by sheepsteak
Ah yes but then they could fill out a 40 page form to apply for the "can't afford PC so I have a console" benefit.

But then we can laugh at you for having to get off the couch to order any new games. And remember getting off the couch often results in loss of seat (if you have friends anyway).

Don't feel quite so superior with your big grey box now do you?

S

sheepsteak

EH??

If you look again you would see I was saying ppl who didn't have/couldn't afford PCs could use consoles to buy games. It was the person before me who said people who use consoles are stupid and should just use PCs.

P

plightstar

I agree I only buy DVD's online now woolworths were asking £16 for The Matrix so I bought from Play at £8

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom