Game of the year?

B

BrassMonkey

Gonna have a serious contender in Half-Life 2, may well be Game of the Year for the X-Box though.

C

cHodAX

HL2 will sell more copies than any other game this year but as far as content and gameplay go KotOR is looking like being a masterpiece. I don't doubt HL2 will be awesome too but when all is said and done it will still play like any other FPS. KotOR breaks the mold and is going to blow people away when it hits the PC in November.

K

katt!

umm, how does a sw-skinned baldurs gate break the mold?

i really hate the hl1 engine, but after seeing the hl2 movies i must admit it looks very interesting and "breaking the mold" far more than any baldurs gate 3: star wars.

B

BrassMonkey

Of course Half-Life 2 will play like any other fps, same as kotor will play like any other RPG, it's how the gameplay and storyline is implemented to immerse the player in a great gameplay experience that does it.

Half-Life 1 for example was a really cheesy, shit storyline, but it was implemented and played through beautifully.

Halo, kept the player immersed through its story and action throughout and did it in a totally different way.

Oh yeah forgot to mention Halo 2...that should kick all other contenders asses :p

K

katt!

imho the way the hl2 engine plays, it wont be an ordinary fps :p

and on the rpg side, fallout/fallout 2 is still the best rpg EVAR.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by katt!
fallout/fallout 2 is still the best rpg EVAR.

a lot will argue for Planescape: Torment.

K

katt!

Originally posted by Omniscieous

very good as well.. but i liked the "freedom" in fallout..

R

Reverant Mezz

i loved HL and the storyline in it, prolly one of the best fps game that will ever come out, the 2nd i am indeed looking forward to playing and will no doubt be bigger and better then the first

B

BrassMonkey

I'm certainly looking forward to it, and the idea of Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike, Action half-Life etc etc being re-done with the new engine....i mean any of those mods with rag doll physics :clap:

However im not going to succumb to the hype...as it can be a very very damaging thing to peoples hopes/expectations.

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Omniscieous

like me (tho Fallout comes in at a close second place. the 1st, not the 2nd), having said that KotOR looks like it may as well change that. been following it a bit, and it's on top of my most wanted list right now (as soon as it's released for the PC, ofcourse)

C

cHodAX

umm, how does a sw-skinned baldurs gate break the mold?

i really hate the hl1 engine, but after seeing the hl2 movies i must admit it looks very interesting and "breaking the mold" far more than any baldurs gate 3: star wars.

Lol, if you read about the game you will see that it is far more than a 'sw-skinned' Baldurs Gate. All the HL2 movies have done is showcase the storyline whilst throwing in plenty of action but show that the game will add nothing new to the genre.

C

cHodAX

imho the way the hl2 engine plays, it wont be an ordinary fps :p

How do you know how the engine plays? I have read dozens of HL2 previews and they don't mention anything about how it redefines the FPS genre, sure they all say the game is awesome and the greatest FPS ever but you can be sure that 90% of it's gameplay will be just like the rest of the genre.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
want!

is there a PC version coming out?

Late October/early November and graphically it blows the xbox version away :D Lucky I have both so I get to play the xbox version in a couple of weeks :clap:

O

old.LandShark

From the screenshots, KOTOR likes more like Star Wars: Return to Morrowind than anything else, but... nm :p
Anyhow, quite frankly Half-Life2 will NOT play like 'any other FPS'. It will be an FPS, of course... but I find it extremely unlikely it won't revolutionise the genre. New heights of immersiveness, and all that...

W

Whoodoo_RD

Right bunch of cynics you lot are, critisising a game like HL, its only fault being its age, i bet you lot were like a bunch of pidgeons cooing all day long when it came out and for months after, its now dated, thats all!

As for HL2, well unless youve played a beta for it (ulikely) then stfu commenting about something you have no first hand knowldge of!

IMO its reputation alone (one of the best selling games ever) it will sell like hotcakes, and is probably one of the few games I would never get from warez, but would hand over hard earned cash for to play.

I agree about the looks of Kotor sw-esk and all that, although id probably give it a bash anyway.

O

old.LandShark

I would, incidentally, say that Deus Ex 2's chances of being "game of the year" were pretty damn good, too. Let's not assume that Half-Life2 will own all other similar-perspective games.... because Deus Ex was at least as good as Half-Life, after all ;)

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by old.LandShark
.... because Deus Ex was at least as good as Half-Life, after all ;)
True, good contender by the looks of it, although i still think HL's rep will do most of the work.

O

old.LandShark

Are we basing game of the year on sales?
In that case, the only contender is half-life2, basically. Nothing's going to outsell that; not another Star Wars game, not any other FPS, not any fucking The Sims expansion.

K

katt!

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
How do you know how the engine plays? I have read dozens of HL2 previews and they don't mention anything about how it redefines the FPS genre, sure they all say the game is awesome and the greatest FPS ever but you can be sure that 90% of it's gameplay will be just like the rest of the genre.

E3_HALFLIFE2_GAMEPLAY.AVI

K

katt!

Originally posted by old.cHodAX
Lol, if you read about the game you will see that it is far more than a 'sw-skinned' Baldurs Gate. All the HL2 movies have done is showcase the storyline whilst throwing in plenty of action but show that the game will add nothing new to the genre.

i read. all i see is something i can find in baldurs gate, and slightly updated graphics :m00:

nothing new.

and starwars on the top, gee.. why didnt i get such fantastic "breaking the mold" design skills.

B

Belsameth

like Half-Life is just another FPS with a new engine and old rehashed idea's :)

both games have the potential to be great in their own genre....only time will tell, I guess

K

katt!

i hate valve more than most people.

still im impressed by hl2, the engine plays like no other fps today - and it looks good :eek:

K

katt!

E3_HALFLIFE2_GAMEPLAY.AVI

gives me a better view than some review which only seems to point in the "bg3: sw" direction.

S

Sharma

mmm, i saw a screenshot of these walker thinges and the caption was that they were nicked from War of the worlds o_O

B

BrassMonkey

Well you can bang on about Star Wars: Kotor or Half-Life 2 or Deus Ex (Day o' sex) 2 ... But just enjoy them all, i'll certainly be buying all 3 and frolicing around in some fantastic gaming.

In my opinion i don't care which one is 'Game of the year' the fact that all of them should be fantastic makes me a happy chappy indeed :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom