GAME.NET Weekly Newsletter October 17th 2003

B

bigfoot

Fully clickable version here - http://play.game.net/newsletters/October17th.htm

GAME.NET News
First of all this week I'd like to say a thanks to those of you who applied to become GAME Masters following the announcement in the previous Newsletter, hopefully you should now have got a mail from me explaining what to do next, if not let me know by replying to this email and I'll find out what has happened to your application. If you didn't read last week's Newsletter then I should remind you that you can find out more about our GAME Master programme by clicking here.

We've been a bit slow in updating the GAME website recently but now you can find GAME specific information on Halo, Medal of Honor: Breakthrough and Jedi Academy. In addition to this we are also very happy to announce support for Halo on our Bookable Service, four servers for you to spend your weekly quota on with over 30 different gametypes to choose from.

A further new addition to our service this week is support for Star Trek: Elite Force 2 on our Clan Servers. Available at no extra cost to existing Clan Server owners you can find support for 10 players on the Type Cs (medium player limit server) or 20 players on our superior Type D product. Also new to GAME.NET is support for the Unreal Tournament 2003 mod Face-Off, this being available on the Clan Servers and Bookables with v1.0 and the v1.2 patch required to play it. The third addition to our services this week, again featuring on Clan and Bookable Servers, is the OSP-style mod for Enemy Territory called ET Pro, our servers running v2.05.

A few months ago we unveiled a couple of test Teamspeak servers which we opened to anyone to use in order for us to evaluate what kind of resources the software used up. We're now expanding this trial to continue our testing, which involves moving the Teamspeak servers onto a faster box and increasing the number of clients that can use the server at any time to 200 each. The servers remain totally free to use, and free to register on, so you can create your own custom channels. Please spread the word and help us test!

The new server addresses are:
213.221.175.4:8767 - GAME.NET TS (1) - Free Test!
213.221.175.4:8777 - GAME.NET TS (2) - Free Test!

Remember all you need to use these servers (and abuse your friends) are a microphone and a copy of the client software. You can add our server by going to Connection then connect in the options and entering the server address above, or using the Web Server List. If you haven't yet registered, you should initially login as anonymous, further instructions will then be viewable by clicking on the Lobby channel, including how to register and also set up a permanent, passworded channel for your clan or friends to use whenever they want. You can also try using the web interface to select and join a TS server via the list at http://webpost.deathace.net/, all feedback is welcome via the support form.

Some new content this week for our hardware sister site TechNation, the first article to mention being a comparison between two of the latest bits of performance heat sink & fan combinations available on the market. For those of you looking to push the boundaries of what your PC can do such kit is essential and if you click here you can read what site author Wilier thought of the Cooler Master Aero 7 when compared with the JET 7. Fellow author Shovel has also been reviewing kit this week and he's cast his eye on the Logitech MX700 Wireless Mouse, as he points out in his introduction traditionally using wireless mice for gaming has been like trying to play an FPS title with a Joystick (pointless in other words) but this latest model from Logitech just might change that, click here to see if it lives up to the hype.

Further new content can be found in our Call of Duty lowdown, our resident nutter Johnny_Darko taking a look at the forthcoming WW2 shooter with the lucky bloke also having a dabble in the finished multiplayer aspect, one of the first people in Europe to do this. Click the game name for his take on it, whilst there is a gameplay trailer in the Files & Patches section of this mail.

Here's a list of all the server / mod updates that have been carried out this past week, links where appropriate can be found in the Files & Patches section below:

Half-Life mod Firearms updated to v2.8
Quake 3 mod Urban Terror updated to v3.1

What's On
Sunday 19th October 2003
New Event >>> Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy @ 15:00 <<< New Event
Operation Flashpoint @ 17:00
Counter-Strike @ 20:00
Monday 20th October 2003
Elite Force II @ 19:00
Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic @ 21:00

Tuesday 21st October 2003
Battlefield 1942 @ 20:30
Vietcong @ 21:00

Wednesday 22nd October 2003
Medal of Honor @ 19:00
Natural Selection @ 19:00
Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat @ 21:00

Thursday 23rd October 2003
Half-Life: Day of Defeat @ 20:30
Half Life: Team Fortress Classic (TFC) @ 21:00

Files and Patches
Trailers
Kicking off this week we have a bunch of trailers for upcoming FPS games for you to cast your expert eyes over, the first being an extended look at the much-hyped Call of Duty which is due out in early November. The 61 MB trailer is quite impressive and tends to concentrate mainly on the Russian side of the game, but whilst there are definitely some interesting segments I have to say that the graphics perhaps look a little less impressive than the early trailers have lead us to believe. Perhaps the reason for that is the game is using the relatively old Quake 3 engine, Painkiller meanwhile has been designed from the ground up with a new engine and does look very impressive with it including some Max Payne style bullet-time movement. The second 15 MB trailer featuring gameplay footage has been released and can be downloaded here, one to keep an eye out for in the future with no firm UK release date set yet.

Next up is a sort-of-prequel to the popular No One Lives Forever 2, entitled Contract J.A.C.K this time you are put in the role of anti-hero John Jack with tons of weapons and gadgets at your disposal to complete the missions on offer, this along with a promising array of Multiplayer options that could help to produce quite a fun little game. You can have a look for yourself in the 10 MB action-packed trailer, the full game due out towards the end of next month. No word yet on when Tribes Vengeance will hit but there is a small trailer floating around showing some hi-res game footage, I've managed to grab a copy and put it on the FTP and you can have a look for yourself by clicking here, it being fair to say that the game certainly looks as it if will not lack for the usual mass carnage that comes as standard these days in any large-scale multiplayer title.

Next up are two third-person adventure games, the first being perhaps the more hack 'n' slash with it appearing to draw some of its inspiration from one of the most popular films of recent times. I'm talking of course about Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance, with you taking on the role of a famous gladiator seeking to restore Rome to its rightful Emperor (sound familiar?) with the aid of various magics and combat styles. There have been a couple of trailers for this upcoming title released, both relatively small in size, the first covering the setting of the game whilst the second features a lot of in-game footage. In the other direction it was recently announced that the Silent Hill series of games are planned to be adopted into a feature film, the latest installment in the video game version is due to be released at the end of this month with Silent Hill 3 featuring the usual mix of psychological horror and terrifying gameplay, a small trailer for it available to download here with lots of game footage included.

These last three trailers cover a wide range of genres, the first of the trio on my list being a small selection of in-game footage from RTS of sorts Goblin Commander. The game puts you in control of one of five hordes of little (and in some cases large) beasties as you bid to defend the Ogriss world and is designed to be easily playable (it is being released on consoles and the PC) with it looking like a more simplified version of something like WarCraft 3 which could make for a fun diversion into the genre if you aren't normally a fan of such games. From that relatively unheard of game we move to /the/ game franchise of all time with a trailer from the upcoming The Sims expansion pack Making Magic, you can download the small trailer by clicking here and as usual it is nicely put together but doesn't really make me want to go out and make it my next game purchase.

In contrast with those two games is the trailer for In Memoriam, this curious game being released next week and featuring a new concept with the game being purchased as normal but requiring you to use the Internet to visit websites and download emails in order to help solve the 40 or so puzzles in the game itself. The trailer comes in at 23 MB and the game appears to use a real-world aspect with many scenes filmed by real actors as you try to piece together what happened to a journalist who disappeared whilst investigating a string of bizarre murders. It will certainly be interesting to see how the concept works in practice, should they pull it off there could be a new genre created in the PC gaming scene.

Playable Demos
The sheer tonnage of demos this week makes me wonder how long it will be until all Broadband suppliers introduce download caps. I'll start off with one for a game that has been around for a bit now, Cold Zero was released in the UK well over a month ago but if you haven't yet looked into this 3rd-person action strategy game you can do so now by downloading this 70 MB demo which should give you a taster. Another game you might have problems tracking down is Steamland, mainly because this Russian developed Armoured-Train RTS has yet to be given a release date for the UK, if you fancy having a look at this unusual game then you can download the 36 MB demo by clicking here with it giving you three full levels from the full version.

Two very similar games to mention next with them both being top-down action / strategy games, the more famous of the pair being Commandos 3: Destination Berlin which is due for release next Friday, the gold demo being released with all the final game code. As you would expect the demo is a biggy (226 MB) as the developers try to convince you to part with your hard earned moola next week, it features the same Tutorial and Train missions but has been given a polish so it should exactly replicate what you find in the retail version. I wonder however if it is some form of conspiracy that the very similar looking Korea: Forgotten Conflict has also seen a demo released this past week, almost identical in size you can download it by clicking here and it too features a Tutorial mission and one where you have to escape on a Train, although whether or not it can get the edge over a more established series like Commandos remains to be seen.

It's rare that we bring you games based on high-seas adventures but this week we have a couple for you, the first being a whopping 200 MB demo for Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas. In truth, as you would probably except, the game is more of an adventure deal than a meticulous ship simulator, but it should appeal to those of you with younger family members who are looking for a cartoon-based game to waste a few hours on, the demo featuring a tutorial and the first mission from the full game. Perhaps a more serious option for you salty sea dogs is Tortuga: Pirates of the New World, this game giving you the choice of playing as the honorable King's servant or as a Jack Sparrow-esque pirate, a boat-load (groan) of different vessels available for you to use in this "Pirate Strategy" game with this 155 MB demo giving you the full first scenario to enjoy.

The next pair of demos are for a couple of sequels, one of which is already out whilst the other I find myself aching for. Starting off with the available game and that is UFO: Aftermath, released a couple of weeks to ago to a warm reception you can now try out this 3D turn-based tactical combat game with this 170 MB demo that gives you a tutorial and four sample missions from the full game that cover the various types of assignments you will get if you choose to purchase the full version. By contrast this small FIFA 2004 demo gives you just a few minutes from a limited game to sample the latest in the series, having had a go myself I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the full game when it is released in a couple of weeks.

To end this section I'll mention a couple of "updates" to demos that are already out there, the first being Silent Storm, a tactical turn-based RPG that is released in a couple of weeks. A demo for this game has been released before but the new version (v1.1) includes all the features from the final game such as improved camera work, you can download the nigh on 200 MB file here to see whether or not it appeals to yourself. At the other end of the size spectrum we have a small update to the Devil Whiskey demo that is floating around, taking the demo to v1.2.1 it will update the preview version of this retro-RPG and fix a few minor bugs with character creation.

Game Patches
Quite a few patches this week, most of them being for sequels or expansion packs with the first to mention for the Viking Invasion add-on for the popular, and itself a sequel, Medieval: Total War game. The small v2.01 update fixes a number of possible cheats and general game issues, hopefully adding to the online play of the game which will doubtless get another boost next year when Rome: Total War is released, if you don't happen to own either of these games make sure you check out the Special Offers section below with price reductions on the Total War range. Whilst it is a bit of a stretch I supposed you could say Mall Tycoon 2 is the Rome: Total War for USA families, resource management a key in both games with the v1.021 update for this one tweaking a few gameplay aspects and also fixing some nVidia graphics problems.

Perhaps the most notable patch for you FPS gamers this week comes in the shape of the 17 MB v1.3.0.37 update to Black Hawk Down, due to the shoddily designed dedicated server we do not support this game on our services but I know quite a few of you probably own a copy and if you do play this game online then the patch is a must with it including a number of online play fixes & additions. By contrast you would do well to get your hands on Hungarian designed Street Legal 2: Redline but if you somehow have this game on your PC then you will be interested to know that a further Beta patch has been released that takes the game to v2.1.5, as usual a number of gameplay tweaks and general bug fixes the reason for this release.

A new patch for UFO: Aftermath (demo above) has been released whilst I've been writing this Newsletter, taking the game to v1.2 the small update fixes save game issues, various problems that caused crashes and the usual gameplay tweaks. It's been a fair while since a patch was released for the weird and wonderful Impossible Creatures but you will need the v1.1 update installed to use the official map pack that was released this week, the 14 MB free add-on can be downloaded by clicking here and includes five new arenas of which one apparently draws its inspiration from the classic Team Fortress 2Fort map.

Mods
A better selection of mods this week for you with the most notable being the Half-Life creation Firearms, the popular mod being taken up to v2.8 (140 MB) with a smaller update (74 MB) available, although it is recommended that you go with the full install. As I mentioned earlier our servers have been updated to support this version, also being updated on our servers is the realism Quake 3 mod Urban Terror which is now on v3.1 (35 MB), this release fixing various issues that were present in the significant 3.0 version.

Winning the prize for the most ridiculously oversized mod of the year is English Bid for Power, this in turn a modification of the fairly well known Quake 3 mod Bid for Power with something like 60+ different characters on tap for you to chose from / evolve into as the mod plays out. Although I believe this mod has been out for a while it should be pointed out that with it coming in at over 660 MB (!) you might have found problems with downloading it in the past, if you fancy giving it a try now you can do so by clicking here.

Finally we come to a new mod for BattleField 1942, this time it is one called Operation Anubis with a 154 MB v1.0 with the mission statement being to document the progress of an on-going World War II. In total there are almost 30 new land, sea and air vehicles across three unique new maps, more to come in future releases which will no doubt see the mod reach the 300+ MB size that we have become accustomed to for mods of this game.

Special Offers
The coming months are shaping up to be cinematic heaven with the release of the final installments in both the Matrix and Lord of The Rings trilogies, also due out in just over a month are the special editions of The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers. As has become customary with the DVDs for the epic films you have a choice between the Extended or Collectors versions, the latter being more expensive but coming in a better presentation case and featuring a Gollum statue. Pre-Order both now and you will receive a FREE A4 Glossy Paperback that shows how the Movie was made, worth effectively £12.99.

I mentioned the Total War series earlier and we are now offering Medeival: Total War and the Viking Invasion Expansion pack for just £30, to take advantage of this great offer for RTS players click here, whilst you can find further 2 for £30 bargains here.

Regards,

Dave "BigFoot" Angus
GAME.NET Community Liaison

If you need any help or have any questions, we have a page set up to help you.

Please don't reply to this e-mail - we have all the support you need ready for you elsewhere.

http://www.game.net/
http://www.game.uk.com/

To Unsubscribe from this Community Newsletter simply go to this page, Logon and click the Unsubscribe button.

Users who are viewing this thread