Game.net Email *spam*

I

ic3d

Hi, after mailing a couple of times without a reply, i'll try it this way. I use a barrysworld emailaddress and lately iam receiving TONS of spam, like 200 a week or something (prob some funny bloke signed me up for all the shit).

Anyway i prefer to watch my email from mail.barrysworld.com instead of using a mailclient. I think a lot of members do.
Is it possible for game.net to add a fancy spam filter, cause i think iam not the only one. I think the whole *@barrysworld.com gets spammed more and more lately.

I already tried to filter it using the filter options, but that doesn't really help.. and installing a spamfilter myself is kind of useless since i use the mailaddress from different locations using the webmail.

L

L_Plates

if you read the spam it might be asking you to use your account and post in the forums or summit. Instead of just getting free email accounts off them.

A

adams901

huh?

I thought you had to be a sub to get an email account..

S

(Shovel)

http://webmail.barrysworld.com used to be the place, no idea if that still works.

The amount of SPAM I get has increased lately as well. Depending on what client you use you may find that you can get SPAM filtering software for it. Outlook includes SPAM control by default, not sure how effective it is. There's also a SpamAssassin plug in for Outlook in the works, which may be worth a look.

More effective are the central database based filters from the likes of Cloudmark. I beta tested Cloudmark Spamnet and was dead impressed, but at the time I wasn't getting enough SPAM to justify spending $4 a month for the final product. 200 a week sounds like it could be the investment. Since it's a client, you still have to download the mail, but it will of course work on all the different accounts that you get in to that particular client.

S

(Shovel)

Originally posted by adams901
huh?

I thought you had to be a sub to get an email account..

Depends when you got it. I have one from a verrrry long time ago.

I

ic3d

L_Plates > It's not Barrysworld or Game.net spamming me, it's the usual crap such as penis enlargment patches and stuff

adams901 > signed up long time ago

(Shovel) > I know some spamfilters that work, but iam not using a mailclient for barrys since i check the mail from different places (home/school/work/friends/etc)

I thought a spamfilter such as hotmail has would be nice.. maybe that can be arranged, since a lot of antispamfilters are free to be installed on the server.

L

L_Plates

Originally posted by ic3d
L_Plates > It's not Barrysworld or Game.net spamming me, it's the usual crap such as penis enlargment patches and stuff

adams901 > signed up long time ago

(Shovel) > I know some spamfilters that work, but iam not using a mailclient for barrys since i check the mail from different places (home/school/work/friends/etc)

I know i was taking the piss

S

(Shovel)

To be honest, anything server side you'd need to mail someone at Game/Barrys to put it forward for consideration.

Something ala Spamassassin (if not already there) may well be welcomed by users, espcially if people are recieving so much. However, I would imagine that there is quite an official process to go through to get changes made to servers, so a polite email to request the feature is probably the best course. With a bit of luck, the 'right person' will have read this thread, but we never really know.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Um

We do run spamassassin on our systems. We only mark what we think is spam.

Look in the headers for ++++ signs.

At the moment I have outlook move anything with 3 +++ signs in a certain header to a spam folder.

Also our webmail system can have rules which can check the headers of any emails received thru our system. So webmail could sort out the chaff from the wheat as well.

There are NO other changes being planned to our email systems at this time. There is enough running to virus check and flag spam no matter what system you use: pop3 or webmail

R

reubs

sa is running on the server, if you open a mail in your bw/game.net email account and check view|options to look at the headers you'll note the output from sa. Its only adding detail to the headers, not blocking email or anything else.

If you're using outlook to pickup email, add a rule which checks for +++++ in the headers and moves it to a spam folder. Adjust number of +s to suit. I'm currently using 5 to reasonable effect, its never going to be perfect, but it helps...

S

Summo

Hot diggety! Two responses from knowledgeable GAME peeps within a minute of each other.

Right on!

C

Clowneh!

Wow two replies from knowledgeable GAME peeps within a minute of each other.

Great!

C

Clowneh!

Wow two replies about the two replies from...

Hmm... this wasn't funny to start with :(

S

Swift^

Aye, it's picked up a lot last month.

I used to get none, now with two bw accounts I get about 1 a week. Fuckers.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Swift^
Aye, it's picked up a lot last month.

I used to get none, now with two bw accounts I get about 1 a week. Fuckers.
This is an increase of like.. infinity percent, which is a damn lot!

D

DaGaffer

TBH ALL my webmail accounts have seen a jump in spam over the last few weeks, not just my GAME.NET/BW accounts. A couple of my older accounts (I've got one that I only ever use for competition entries for instance) are now getting hundreds of spams a day despite filtering and are pretty much unusable.

I

Insane

Originally posted by DaGaffer
A couple of my older accounts (I've got one that I only ever use for competition entries for instance) are now getting hundreds of spams a day despite filtering and are pretty much unusable.

thats because they know your one of their biggest customers ;)

ive yet to get any "spam" on my barrysworld.com account, except for bigfoots emails. mind i hardly ever use it, 12+ email accounts dont work out.

I

ic3d

Mmhh since spamassasin is already running and not working for me, i tried to mess around with the filters in the webmailbox.

So i tried to filter all fields that contain the regular spam phrases and words. Such as:

Subject Contains * OR ** OR *** OR **** OR ***** OR ****** OR ******* OR ******** OR ********* OR ********** OR + OR ++ OR +++ OR ++++ OR +++++ OR ++++++ OR +++++++ OR ++++++++ OR +++++++++ OR ++++++++++

(just a quick example)

So far so good, since i've added a 5 full sets, but here comes the problem. Now i have 3 choises, i added my problem behind the choises.

- Move the message to this mailbox:
Yeah we wanne do that, create some spam folder so i can just click 'remove all' once in a while. So i created a new folder, but it doesn't move the spam to that folder, not even to the bin. So i guess this one isn't working, up 2 the next solution.

- Forward the message to:
It does forward the message, but doesn't delete it. So now iam receiving spam in 2 mailboxes, so i turned that off really quick :p

- Delete the message:
Now this is the one i like, but.. when i click it and after that click finish, the radiobutton auto get's on: Move the message to this mailbox 'NEW' again..

Okay long story, but is it somewhere possible to have the radiobutton stuck on DELETE the message? So it actually works?
Or is there as special mailbox phrase that throws the filtered stuff in the bin?

I

ic3d

Soz for the bump, but i was hoping maybe an admin can answer my question, since 2 already posted :)

D

Durzel

Surely it would be better to modify the subject, and attach the original email to the modified "report" email, as per the normal SpamAssassin configuration?

As far as I know Outlook Express doesn't even support message rules that check message headers. Don't know about other mail clients though.

M

mookie

Originally posted by Durzel

As far as I know Outlook Express doesn't even support message rules that check message headers. Don't know about other mail clients though.

on a similar note, how do i ask Thunderbird check headers? its got options for everthing else but..

C

Cyfr

Originally posted by ic3d

Suttle Hint?

Users who are viewing this thread