Game addons / mods

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Has anyone found any info on if they'll be allowing mods / addons to the game? E.g. to change the UI or add functionality.

MMO devs seem to take very varied views on these, e.g. WoW loves them but FFXI will come to your house and cut you down if you even alt-tab from the game.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
With daoc they allowed you to modify the UI fairly substantially (via XML config files) as well as provide XML downloads of stats/guild memberships etc. to allow you to write tools for analysing that. Though the XML wasn't always that brilliantly supported it has to be said (generally a low priority when things got patched).
See I Mod di ToA in italiano di Valmerwolf for an example of a UI mod and DAoC Euro Roster for an example of an XML parsing thing.

However there's obviously lines to be drawn - e.g. writing your own "bot" or radar program to read stuff out of memory/the netstream and give you either a big advantage in RvR or powerlevel you was/is a big nono and got you a one way ticket to bansville.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
While some wow mods were great, the whole modding scene was so annoying, by the time the game was 6 months old, there were so many addons, sum1 wasnt even sure wot were the use of each one.

Plus 50% of them ran useless after every patch....

Imo UI addons arent necesary at all if the official UI is sumwot complete n flexible with the configs (tried vanguard recently n the "retail" UI was very good from my pov, u can configure it to almost any way u want).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The only mods i find useful in WoW are the mob info mod, quest tracker mod, fishing buddy mod and resource tracking mods, the rest really are just fluff. Far to many around. I think the DAOC mods were perfect maybe just add what i listed above :p

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Apologies for not finding the post, but I read that you will be able to mod the UI using LUA, similar to WoW, but it will be alot more restrictive.

This was said quite a few months ago though, so things could change.

Toel

Loyal Freddie
I hope it'll be the same as it was in DAoC, I quite like that. I hate to bring WoW up, but if it turns out like WoW is today, where you'll get addons for everything, it sort of ruins the game.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Nah, Blizzard fiddled WoW so some of the more "play-the-game-for-you" mods were broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom