Future Newbie (If I manage to get thte game :)

Styphon

Fledgling Freddie
Hello:
i am also new (Still waiting for the game to arrive, been waiting 3 weeks now :wij: )

First say to Castus that i will contact you as soon as I get the game as I already told you.

Also want to ask a few "ingame" questions and show you guys my way of playing:
+ ¿Whats is the called "old way of leveling"?
+ In the free trial (American one) I played as a hunter and love it, also i love to play and experience quests, groups, and adventures.
+ Basically I regret any form of Power Level or Begging for items. I am a bit purist with this hehe.
+ ¿Is it easy to get groups?
+ ¿Any tips I should now when creating a char?
+ I am a bit confusing with equipment, where can I search to get really good exhaustive information?

Thanks in advance and I will keep this thread update with new questions that I may have.

Styphon / Kirgi

Trylle^nzi

Fledgling Freddie
Styphon said:
Hello:
i am also new (Still waiting for the game to arrive, been waiting 3 weeks now :wij: )

First say to Castus that i will contact you as soon as I get the game as I already told you.

+ In the free trial (American one) I played as a hunter and love it, also i love to play and experience quests, groups, and adventures.
+ Basically I regret any form of Power Level or Begging for items. I am a bit purist with this hehe.
+ I am a bit confusing with equipment, where can I search to get really good exhaustive information?

Thanks in advance and I will keep this thread update with new questions that I may have.

Styphon / Kirgi

To put a honest answer to your questions:

1) The old way of leveling? I guess thats something like: "get a buffbot to tag along with you"

2) Don't roll hunter.

3) ..

4) No, certianly not as a hunter.

5) Don't roll a hunter.

6) http://camelot.allakhazam.com/

Advice: Don't start with DAoC, wait the last few days for World of Warcraft to go live.
DAoC is a dead game. Sure you can have some fun leveling your precious char to lvl 50. After the golden and almighty lvl 50 theres ToA to complete if you want to stand a chance in RvR.

As for RvR, it's plain dead now, only a few groups is out running, else it's filled with alb zerglings, boring tower/keep fights where you just stand looking at the enemies. And not to mention the stealthzerg on bridges.

cya in wow

Styphon

Fledgling Freddie
Just as a tip, I have been in WoW Beta and I don't like it at all, sry but I wont go to WoW period. I was thinking in a more constructive answer than this.

Trylle^nzi

Fledgling Freddie
Styphon said:
Just as a tip, I have been in WoW Beta and I don't like it at all, sry but I wont go to WoW period. I was thinking in a more constructive answer than this.

I think its highly constructive :) seriously, I mean.. it's reality, the game is f*ckin' dead.

You tell me where the fun is in this: You spend time leveling your hunter, you spend 3+ months to fully toa it and get everything capped, you get yourself a buffbot and finally you go to somewhere random on the warmap where you might find a solo infil with +20% damage, you start bashing him but find that you are evaded up to 70% of your attacks.

But sure, I can't and won't tell you what to do and what not. Just be sure to come back to this thread and tell me how many times you've smashed your keybard and pressed "/rel" :D

But good luck in whatever you do :) if I were to start on DAoC again, I would roll a shadowblade and spec it critblade. But that's just me.

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Styphon said:
Old way of lvling means you dont PL but solo / or grp with players your lvl. If this includes a BB or not is a matter of how old you want the old to be.

Styphon said:
It wont be easy to get groups atm. However there are some 30ish grps etc.
When Catacomb hits it should get alot better tho, since ppl are rolling new chars etc.

Styphon said:
Yes, read guides etc on www.online-roleplayers.net
Use your starting points very wise so you will get this extra tweak at lvl50.

Styphon said:
I am a bit confusing with equipment, where can I search to get really good exhaustive information?
As only useful information mentioned earlier try daoc.allakhazam.com

If you have any future questions please dont hesitate to PM me ingame on one of my chars in signature.
I like your attitude of not begging. Non begging people tends to get more cash than begging people, just many new players dont realises that.

Styphon

Fledgling Freddie
With constructive I mean helpful, I know some players say this game is death or this other game is death too. I have play several MMORPGs for the last 4 years and I think that while the companies continue to invest the game is not death. DaoC will probably be around for at least 2 years more.
Also I play SWG (and I love it, been playing since release) and also there is ppl saying is death) but I always like to play a second MMORPG as a backup when I want to change for a bit. Even If I love
SWG and the comunity sometimes I lke to change from Tech to Sword and Sorcery.

PS: Thanks Cami0 :)
Styphon / Kirgi

Strider

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to hear of someone who wants to play the game as it should be. Will of course be a lot harder these days with a serious shortage of groups.

I do almost all my grouping in Guild.

Nice to hear you don't like begging, I don't really like it either, appart from giving money for horse rides.

If you roll your hunter on Excaliber then you are welcome to PM my armour crafter Heavyrock and he would be glad to make you a set of armour to see you through your first 10 levels.

Any way good luck and I hope you enjoy the game. Despite all the 'game is dead' messages I still get a lot out of it. Even more now I have a lvl 50.

Strider

Uku

Fledgling Freddie
aye i wouldnt call the game dead, yes the solo aspect of the game seems to have gone , hence alot of peeps whining about that , but pick a good group based char , get a nice large friendly guild , go out and have a laugh in rvr , and you wont find it too bad. i died several times last night , not least to overpowered alb sorcerers but i still enjoyed it. still laggy in frontiers though , better than it was but still needs sorting imo.

Loverman

Fledgling Freddie
What I've found is most important is to find a good friend you can team with most of the time. I was close to quitting since all I did was wonder alone unbuffed, never getting any items, gold nor XP.

But then I started teaming with a guildy, helping each other getting items, doing quests, RvRing. And suddenly, I want to play all the time.

So sort yourself out with a good guild, make sure you use your friendslist a lot while you are XPing up with random people.

Funkybunny

Banned
if youre starting blank, remember that the first 20 lvls will be hard to find groups , so a little tips is to find a leveling guide to see where its ideal to start xping. i always found Shrouded isles to be very nice since the mobs "grow" from aegir and out ...

killtasks are very nice.. think its from lvl 3 you can start doing them.. you go up to a guard, click on him and type /task then you will get told to find a mob in that and that direction... after youve killed that mob, you go back to the guard and get your reward (xp). if you want to experience more then just stand in a field smaking mobs all the way you might even concidering starting with your epic quests at lvl 7-8

a good spot to find quests is at daoc.warcry.com then just click QUESTS under compendium , mark the realm midgard and do lvl 1- 20 in level req and you should be set..

at lower levels merchant armour and weapons is perfectly nice if you fill it up with stuff you find along the way :)

yes hunter is a fun class but hard to level up. so it might be hard to do that as a starting character. might wanna start a tank instead (NOT a thane ^^) skald is very nice since you have direct damage, dmg add, speedsong (wich is nice when you travel around looking what happens), healsong wich generates yer hitpoints back quicker +++... but whatever class you wanna start, be sure to read up on whats "best" for leveling when it comes to starting-stats/class ++...

Oneeyedjack

Fledgling Freddie
Styphon said:

Styphon / Kirgi

First of all the game is far from dead. It may be dead for some players, but still many playing the game with great fun, myself included.

Levelling has become a bit harder with many players that reached level 50 several times, but some changes has been made in the last patch that makes it a bit easier for people to get grps and there for level. I know people in my guild can level a character several levels a day with the new "free level" system.

A very good way to get grps and friends to level with is to find a good guild. It can pay of to research what guilds are out there and find one that suits you. I would suggest a new small guild with people xping/levelling and little RvR activity or one of the big guilds with a diverse view on the game. The big guilds tend to have more people xping/levelling and easier to find some one to grp with. Stay away from the guilds that do RvR mostly, you wont get much levelling company there. Use Duskwave or Goa's Homepage Warroom to do some research on the guilds in Midgard and then contact the guilds on their Websites or ingame, most guilds are friendly and invite new players.

Regarding a character. I would say that picking the hunter as your first character will give you some problems. Hunters are primeraly solo characters and tend to have an even harder time getting grps than other characters, they are good fun to play, but its also a bit lonely. Most players pick a tank/runemaster/spiritmaster/seer as 1st character and go for a rogue later. But again getting a good guild can help getting grps.

If you should pick a character you dont like it no disaster to change to a new within the first 35 levels.

Equipment becomes more and more important as you raise in level. At the 1st 30-40 levels its does not matter that much, but when you hit level 50 its a huge part of the game. My recomedation is use cheap stuff for the first 40 levels, what ever drops or what you can buy cheap from the Merchants in the Housing Zone (and trust me there is ALOT of cheap ok equipment out there). When you get near level 45-50 try making better equipment setups and maybe find a crafter to help you make some equipment. At level 50 its a whole different story, but dont worry about that yet. ;) Again getting into a good guild can get you easy access to better equipment and crafters.

I have personally levelled all my characters without any pl and I soloed my 1st RM almost all the way to level 40, it takes time but its also a good way to get familiar with the game and your character. But I would still suggest getting gprs it is much faster and fun.

My general advise would be find yourself a good guild. You can even do that before you start playing. Many big guilds have an active forum on their webpages and you can gather a huge amount of knowledge chatting with people on these forums. You can also ask people with knowledge of special classes and get good hint on how to start a class up, where to level, what quests are good, what equipment you should get and so on. The real good information is "hidden" amongst the players in thoses guilds and as I said most guilds are friendly and willing to share their knowledge. So find a good guild and start up by signing on their forums and prepare yourself for getting online. I hope that helped you a tiny bit. :D

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Strider said:
Nice to hear of someone who wants to play the game as it should be.

I'll quote this little piece here.

The game should be played in a way you find it fun. I personally find pvp fun. I xp'd 5 chars to 50 the normal way and I really don't like how pve works in daoc. If someone finds running in gankgroups with his totally capped char (toa included) as fast as possible instead of looking for groups to somehow get to 50, he is playing the game it should be played, to have fun.

Daoc always made a huge difference between a set of players playing and a random bunch of people trying to go together.

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved

Nowdays alot of ppl exp with either powerleveling with L50 chars helping them wiht font of power, buffs and pbaoe spells. or a buffbot + melee char.

old days ppl didnt have buffbots etc and it was easier to get group back then (even if it wasnt that easy for some classes).

Hunters are v good soloers in pve, they are probably the weakest archers in the game, but they are still pretty decent, because NF is all about ranged dmg for now.

Finding a group will be hard before L30 - 40 or so, especially if you are a hunter.

If you are rolling a hunter i would advise you to go 10str,10con,10dex start creation, and chooseing kobold, if you can you should really get another account aswell and make a shaman, this will make leveling alot easier for you, and its a must if you want to compete on equal grounds in rvr nowdays.

The best endgame equipment right now is ToA drops along with spellcrafted playercrafted armor. (when leveling spellcrafted playercrafted armor will do good enough)

Artifacts: http://www.visionofsages.net/toa

DeepThought

Fledgling Freddie
No!!!

for the love of god dont join doac now get wow. daoc is ancient and has a constantly diminishing population. PLAY World of Warcraft. europe version released on 25 feb 2005 :wij:

Gasoline

Fledgling Freddie
If the guy says he doesn't want to play WoW, don't try and turn him now :kissit:

But I agree with Oneeyedjack on this. The game is still very alive, although getting experience has become increasingly difficult in the last few months. But you get better XP from camp spots now, as well as a free level every 6 days (I think...) if you can get one level yourself in that time.

To be honest, if you want to start new in the game, I'd recommend going for any of the tank classes (they're not as effective as they used to be in RvR, but they're the more simple classes to play and get groups in PvE with). If you like the idea of magic, look no further than a Suppression specced Spiritmaster. Most groups will want at LEAST one of these. If you're more into the soloing side of things, Bonedancers are very effective too.

I have levelled just two characters (a Shaman and a Shadowblade) to level 50, both of which haven't been powerlevelled. Although a LOT slower than being PLd, you get to learn your character inside-out, giving you a slight advantage when it comes to RvR. If you know when to use what in open-RvR, it's a great help.

When you get to the right level, I would seriously recommend spending a lot of time in the Battlegrounds. Thidranki is virtually almost populated, and is for people from levels 20-24. Although far from the same experience open RvR in the frontiers offers, you can still pick up a lot of valuable playing methods/styles here. You can also get your first realm points, leading to realm skill points with which to buy realm abilities with. The realm ability system has recently been upgraded, and is (generally) thought to be much better than before (although some classes get it better than others...).

And lastly, a good guild REALLY helps. In the small periods during the levelling of my characters when I was unguilded for whatever reason (normally the guild had been disbanded...), I found levelling far less enjoyable. It helps to have people to talk to during downtime periods, resting for health/power/endurance. Most of the friends you make in DAoC will be fellow guildies, so an amicable guild helps!

Also, while in-game, type /advice to bring up a list of advisors. Most of the time, they'll be willing to aid you in whatever way they can (not financially, of course :) )

Hope that this has helped slightly.
-- Gas

Chobb

Fledgling Freddie
Cant really add to what has already been said but nice to see people helping others with some valuable info /salute u all :)

Funkybunny

Banned
oh yeah.. i can add imo the best race for every class.

tanks:

warrior: kobold - better dexterity is better defence,
berzerker: troll - frontloading damage is always nice.
Skald: troll - also here damageoutput is nice on a big clumpy troll
savage: kobold, you still do alot of damage even though youre small and cuddly, plus youll be virtually impossible to hit at lvl 50.

hybrid:

thane: i would choose troll for this char aswell, but norseman is a nice second choice here

rogue:

shadowblade: norseman str/dex weapon makes norseman much better then kobolds in this case.
hunter - kobold, alot of dex, but dwarfs and valkyn is also nice alternatives with pro's and cons

seers:

healer: dont have so much experience here, but i think i would go dwarf if i should make one since they have a bit more hitpoints.
shaman: kobolds, castingspeed is all for shamans and dexterity is high on these cute lil things

mystics:

spiritmasters and runemasters: kobold if you want to cast fast, frostalf if you want higher but slower dmg, i would choose kobolds.
bonedancers: i would go kobolds here aswell, but troll on a close second spot.

disclaimer: this is how I would choose and other people might disagree on some points, but this is my experiences, pov on this.. good luck in daoc when you finally get the game :)

Styphon

Fledgling Freddie
Hey all:

Thanks a lot to all the helpfull ideas. I jsut want to point out that when I choosed DaoC as my alternative MMORPG I thought (And test it) WoW, EQ2 (My first MMO was EQ), but in any case I didn't like them, I also tested a an american trial of DaoC and I like it.
The only reason I play a game is just for fun and thats all. That must be why I still play games like SSI General Series, EAW, XWing-Tie fighter and some other oldies.
So thanks to everyone again.

now Funky, I have been thinking on an Skald and was thinking on Norseman as a race, maybe I am wrong but i think 35 for Dext is pretty low on Trolls. Also I know that your knowledge is way more than mine on the game, so can you explain me why Troll is better? pls. and also noce post :worthy:

Gasoline, the emote icon is really kwel. :)

Kirgi / Styphon

Funkybunny

Banned
well you will ofc be buffed when you are running around in rvr and then you will have a high nice dex (not enitre sure how high on trolls but it will still be high enough)

the reason you should choose troll is this..

when you are running solo, this is how you fight.. you see the enemy, you run up (with speed this is easy) you dd dd then mezz.. then go on their side and do sidestyle.. at this point you wanna frontload as much dmg as possible

therefore that is why i think troll is the best for skald.. .. :)

Jarroman

Fledgling Freddie
Hails from me as well ;)

since i am a warrior i'll object that best warrior is kobbie :)

i had a troll warrior , deleted him and re-rolled a dwarf one and i can tell u ... the difference is HUGE (almost as huge as a twoll)
... so as far as warriors are concearned , imo best obtions are norse - dwarf depending on your toa template

When it comes to skalds , altho i only had a bg 1 skald i think norse - twoll are bets options..

troll beacuse of the reasons funkybunny said , and norse if u don't like the looks of a twoll , or for a kinda more defensive skald (if there is such a thing as defensive skald ;) )

ps : My Twoll warrior with +10 in starter dexterity and augm dext 2 with + 15 overcap in toa template with caped buffs used to have sth like 300-320ish and my quickness (+5 qui overcap augm quick 0 +0 in starter stats) was 210

[at least that's the way i see it when it comes to class - race choise :D ]

Hails once again

Funkybunny

Banned
oh and when it comes to startingpoints...

i would go

troll - 15str 10 con

again... frontloading is important! :)

who cares if you have 1% less evade when you hit for 50 extra dmg per hit. :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
if you want to be able to get grp's later on - healer's are never in the way of easy grping

SM's supp spec get grps easy as well (i'd reckon they did, pbae is very good for lvling in grp's [and solo?])

Galoma

Fledgling Freddie
Go Ebay an account :) its not that im a fan of ebaying... but tons of ppl stopping the game and going for WOW... and it will safe u atleast a few months :) (leveling, TOAing, and getting all the stuff/monny)

cough cough... jk ofc :cheers:

poky

Fledgling Freddie
Funkybunny said:
shadowblade: norseman str/dex weapon makes norseman much better then kobolds in this case.

there are no str/dex based weapons for shadowblades.

Funkybunny

Banned
poky said:
there are no str/dex based weapons for shadowblades.
hmmm... then is it str that all weapons are for shadowblades? since everyone sais norsemen are better shadowblades then kobbies :)

Styphon

Fledgling Freddie
Still reading all of your comments, all of them really interesting, not asnwering (i am the lurking king :flame: ) Ok, lets say this are two variations of the same idea:
+ Troll Skald (Run Ron Ron La Botella del Ron):
STR: 100; CON: 80; DEX: 35; QUI: 35;
INT: 60; PIE: 60; EMP:60; CHA: 75

Crush 3% / Matter: 5% / Thrust: 2%
Axes: Lvl 3.
Parry: Lvl 2.
BattleSong: Lvl 3 --> Warcry (2), Single Song of Rest (1), Simple Song of Travel (3)
here I don't know if its better Hammer or Axe. Aldo this is made as If I were in Lvl 5. Comments are more than welcome.

+ Norseman Skald (Beeeeeeeeeeeeer):
STR: 80; CON: 70; DEX: 50; QUI: 50;
INT: 60; PIE: 60; EMP:60; CHA: 80

Cold 5% / Crush 2% / Slash: 3%
Axes: Lvl 3.
Parry: Lvl 2.
BattleSong: Lvl 3 --> Warcry (2), Single Song of Rest (1), Simple Song of Travel (3)
here I don't know if its better Hammer or Axe. Aldo this is made as If I were in Lvl 5. Comments are more than welcome.

So thanks again and enlight me pls :)
Styphon, Kirgi

Funkybunny

Banned
imo. Hammer, if you watch the picture i added, youll see what classes are resistand and vounerable to slash thrust crush :)

thats why i would go hammer :)

(p.s. at lvl 5 i would go 4 in weapon, 3 in songs, 1 in parry, since you wont be staying at this level for very long (i think its 8-10 mobs you have to kill to ding lvl6) and you dont parry much at low level anyway. so throwing points in that will be mostly looses at low levels anyway.

if i were you i would find a good spec, at lvl 50 and then spec with that in mind all the way, with "temp-spec goals" so lets say, you have a 50 spec, then you find a lvl 24 spec wich fits that goal and aim for that first.

(level 24 is max level in thidranki a pvp arena wich many people find very fun, and skalds are VERY overpowered in that arena since a mezz is a mezz in that place) :) so lets say someone jumps you (a stealther) you can just dd dd insta mezz them, then put healsong on, rest health and when you have a bit higher health you position yourself and WHACK DD DD WHACK WHACK...

imo at level 24 my spec would be 19 weapon, 5 parry 21 battlesongs (for the 18 second mezmerize).

Attachments

• resists.JPG
    resists.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom