Fup'ing cable modem

O

old.Jas

Heres my setup -

I've got my NTL cable modem connected to my network and then my PC (Dell, Win2k SP3, built in network card) to the network. Dead easy.

Problem is - the connection speed drops to a piddly 500 bytes/sec every so often. Sometimes twice a day. Rebooting the machine or disabling and reenabling the network solves the problem.

The NTL engineers are mystified - they tried increasing the power/gain/volume/whatever and it didn't work. They gave me a "Digital Signal Conditioning Filter" to put on the cable between the modem and the splitter and it didn't work.

I'm convinced its a windows network problem. Any ideas? Cheers!

D

Dial-A-Rez

I hate to state the obvious, but are you sure its not simply a case of a high bandwidth user in your neighbourhood ?

Don't forget with cable your contention ratio starts to kick in outside your front door. Maybe a neighbour is running something that gobbles all the local bandwidth a couple of times a day, updating a web server or running their own newsserver maybe ?

W

Will

Since someone else replied, I'll throw in my uppence worth.

If it goes away when you reboot your box, then its you box, you are quite right Jas. After that, I'm stumped. Network card or network card drivers?

S

Shocko

Originally posted by old.Jas
I'm convinced its a windows network problem. Any ideas?
Well, in that case, yes i do have a solution, however i think we all know what that is :D

O

old.Jas

I don't think its a network card problem - I never have any problems accessing things over a LAN, that is other than this CM.

I'll check for some newer drivers though

M

mohawk-uk

SP3

Have you tried uninstalling (if you ticked the option) SP3

That could be your porblem.

I have read some reviews on the new SP for win2k platforms and there not good.

Other than that, try a a new NIC card and disable you onboard one..

No harm in trying everything, thats wot i would do...

Mohawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom