ftp problem

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Since installing xp sp2, I've been having trouble transferring stuff onto my ntl webspace (see attachment). I just use 'my network places', where I've added my ntl webspace as an ftp folder (it automatically logs in). Its worked fine for ages, just simple drag and drop.

Now, since sp2 (I think), sometimes it works, most times I get this error. I've closed ZA, shut the xp firewall, I can't think what else would interfere with this.

It will upload a portion of whatever file I select, get about half way, and this error appears. I've got plenty of space left on the server.

Any ideas?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure it's to do with the SP2 firewall - I've no idea about that so try turning off passive mode. To do this, get a decent ftp client and turn off passive mode in the options. Oh and this'll give you a more useful error message too.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Whats a totally free, piss-easy to use, doesn't need installation ftp client that I can use?

I like the windows 'my network places' thing, its easy to use.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well, flash fxp requires an installation but other than that it's piss easy. And you can use it for 30 days until you realise it's worth the 9 bucks or whatever it costs to buy.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I second Flash FXP... If you can't install it in a certain machine for permission reasons or whatever you can just copy the installed folder out of program files and it runs fine.

Blue_Atom

Fledgling Freddie
Start->Run->command
ftp ftp.ntlworld.com
ftp> hash
ftp> bin
ftp> put ....

If your firewall asks you anything, say "yes" ;-)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thats the method I used when I was on demon internet. I've just tried it with the ntl space, I can connect, but as soon as I type dir, i get '200 port command succesfull' and then it just sits there, no cursor or anything. Its fucking annoying thats what.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Good god, what an absolute sack of rancid gnat' cack the winxp sp2 firewall is. Its like somebody at microsoft said "I know! Lets install such a fantastically complicated security system, that no fucker will ever figure it out! That way, when people critisise us, we can point and laugh at them and call them noobs!"

I tried the flashxp thing, to get it to work I had to disable the winxp firewall. Now all I get is some stupid fucking icon that won't go away, you know those crap bubbles that appear, EVEN THOUGH I TOLD IT I HAD MY OWN FIREWALL AND FUCK RIGHT OFF PLEASE K THX.

:(

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Smart FTP. Free and very good.

That is all.

Miles_Binck

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Now all I get is some stupid fucking icon that won't go away, you know those crap bubbles that appear, EVEN THOUGH I TOLD IT I HAD MY OWN FIREWALL AND FUCK RIGHT OFF PLEASE K THX.

:(
disable the Security Center Service via Start > Run > services.msc (unless you use the other Security Center parts that is)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Very very fucking annoying

So, I try flashfxp, everything works fine. Great! I then get to the end of the 30 days, and uninstall it, try SmartFTP. That won't let me upload stuff.

So then, I go back to FlashFXP, only now that won't let me upload things either!

God damn you microsoft. God fucking damn you.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Anyway, I appear to have found some solace in the following solution (although it only relates to ftp folders in IE):

Open your ftp folder in IE, click tools>internet options>advanced and scroll down a bit to find a box that says 'use passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatiability)'

Uncheck that box. My system now appears to work, although no doubt microsoft will release some 'update' that will FUCK IT RIGHT UP AGAIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom