Frontier Hunting dead?

N

nobrot

How many of us dont bother to organize exping trips into the frontiers because of the risk of being killed by invaders?. A lot I would guess, judging by the lack of hunting parties in the frontiers on Prydwen.

For most of us lvl 40-45 players, RvR is a bitter-sweet experience, with no suitable BG's to go play in, we have to go into the frontiers and mix it up with enemies that invariably con red. So having a one on one usualy ends up in the favour of the tin wearing red-con enemy. The altertnative is to go seek even (or lower) con enemies in their own frontiers; but this in itself can be a problem, because exping parties tend to keep to the safety of their own realm, the solution?, seems easy to me.....

Simply raise the experience gained for slaying mobs that live in the frontiers, and perhaps increase the value of the loot that they drop. This would encourage players to form parties and venture out into the frontiers and compensate the players for risking unplanned RvR. I remember exping in Ygg and getting ganked, it didnt upset me in the least, in fact it added to the exping experience, made it more exciting.

If Mythic/Goa dont implement such a system, the frontiers will only ever be a place for massive zerg squads and keep raids... and with the opening of DF, these frontiers seem virtualy deserted, just go to the Undead camp in ygg at primetime, before DF it would be full of exp groups... nowadays its a wasteland, occupied only by the mindless undead mob's.

Would like to know if anyone else feels the same, if there is enough positive feedback, perhaps we will see some changes to make the frontiers exciting to hunt/exp in once more.

N

nobrot

Humph.. just read another post that sugests the exp and loot IS worth more in the frontiers!!!, if thats the case, perhaps it needs to be increased some...

O

old.Glendower

another thing

They also need to deal with people who gank others while they are fighting a MOB, and or train MOBs onto folk to give them XP deaths.

I would suggest that any time a player is fighting a MOB and gets hit by another realm, that his death not cost any exp. On the other hand, any player who has sustained damage by a MOB within a short period of being engaged by an enemy, or during a fight with an enemy, not give any RP.

Of course this would be very tricky to code, but I bet they could do it.

B

Bedroc the Hero

I might be wrong here... but i thought you didnt get any rp when killing a enemy that is hurt from a mob..

V

Vell

The frontiers will not become a popular place to be for as long as there are lvl 50's who enjoy 1 hitting lvl 20's. My first frontier trip, at lvl 18: Walk out of upplands gate, to the cross roads, get PA'd for a billion damage, release.

For as long as that happens, the frontiers will not become popular.

You don't get xp for killing a grey mob, so why should you get rp for killing a grey enemy? You shouldn't. That in itself would solve 90% of frontier xping.

T

Tigerius

Noone kills a grey for the RP, you kill a grey because you

a) want his deathmsgs to act as challenge for the higher levels to come out defend
b) you generally adopt a very hostile approach to players of ENEMY realms and apply a kill on sight regardless of their con
c) it's fun. different people may enjoy it for different reasons, but it can be outright silly fun sometimes.

The problem with high level invaders in every front is undeniable though and there's a few game issues that need to be resolved for this to work ideally. A realms high levels really should be out there defending the realm from invasion, but for this to actually be fun and rewarding something needs to be changed. Experience should also reflect upon the general danger of exping in the frontier areas yes.

Possibly should the 2 be combined, having the most rewarding exp spotsin good frontier places from where the (40+) people could also serve to defend their realm (voulentary and invoulentary).

S

SilverHood

smacking a lvl 30 caster through their BT for 800 dmg is fun

besides, yggdra and uppland are worth it.... massive camp bonus as well as nice money

T

Tiwaz

Originally posted by Tigerius
Noone kills a grey for the RP, you kill a grey because you

a) want his deathmsgs to act as challenge for the higher levels to come out defend
That is simply bs! From the beginning of my 20's to now (allmost 34), I've tried several times to solo in yggdra and uppland, and almost allways, I get killed by a purp infiltrator or nightshade. True, higher level fellow midgardians usually come rushing, but the backstabbing bastard is long gone by then. He surely has no interest in meeting real opposition!

b) you generally adopt a very hostile approach to players of ENEMY realms and apply a kill on sight regardless of their con
Now, that is properbly the real reason for killing grey cons.

c) it's fun. different people may enjoy it for different reasons, but it can be outright silly fun sometimes.
Well, I cannot really comment on that, but to me, one time killing an enemy, seems to be as much fun as killing gray con mobs. I don't find that so amusing, but maybe it is just me ;)

Please don't take this as whining. I accept the risk of being in the frontiers, and the fact that the loot is coin, and that I don't need to go sell all the time, is allmost worth it. That said, I am usually not rushing back to the frontiers, after being one time killed. No reason to meet the fellar again :)

But I cannot imagine what is making me worth killing.

O

old.LandShark

it's a good thing GOA can't understand your name, i'm sure it's against the CoC :rolleyes:

Frontier hunting dead? Yes, pretty much so in my experience. Killgorde's little crusade certainly made Ellyll hunts bloody difficult on Excal for a few weeks... ;)
Casual frontier exping? Pff. Nowhere worth the effort in the Alb frontiers at least...

edit: i mean, your name ffs! I know this isn't a strict role-playing game but do you really want to level a char to 50 and be called NobRot?

O

old.ViscountCharles

There are some good XP areas for people from levels 20 upwards all the way in boh Yggdra and Uppland. There are also plenty of ******* purples (usually from Hib, but Albs are there too) prepared to kill you, often while you're fighting a mob.

My first two characters XPd a fair bit in the frontiers, and died far too flaming often. Then I saw the advice here, that said don't go to the frontier if you don't like XP deaths. It turns out to be good advice, my two new characters have never suffered an XP death as they never go to the frontiers.

I am so happy that the grey-con killers have closed off a big hunting ground to me. :/

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Well... I've been frontier hunting alot in my lower 20'ies (Mt. Collory, Cruachan)... got killed a lot - but I don't suffer xp deaths anyway;) It's my pet that gets hit by the mob - not me.

So I could care less and levelled much faster than inside the homelands. Even made a couple of rp by damaging (ie. hitting for a mm of health before getting smacked) the invader.

Frontier hunting is fun... gives me a kick:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom