friday news

Renwind

One of Freddy's beloved
did GOA completly forget the friday news this week ?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Renwind said:

they might be posting a friday news on monday shocka!!!! post in a nostalgic way.

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Nope, they did not completely forget the friday news. Both French and German players got their news.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Ttillub said:
Nope, they did not completely forget the friday news. Both French and German players got their news.

We must not have been well behaved enough this week....

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Javai said:
We must not have been well behaved enough this week....
Footballs on, what do you expect. They prolly took a long weekend off :p

Bagloor

Fledgling Freddie
You have to love this part :)

The unique Friday News said:
What's the biggest, meanest monster of DAoC ?

What do you think the most dangerous creature in DAoC is ? Could it be Apocalypse ? Legion perhaps ? Maybe it's Draco ?
No, the most dangerous creatures in all the realms are little brothers ! It's true, everytime we investigate a case of alleged cheating, deleted characters, scammed gold or items, it always seems to be someones little brother who is responsible and not the account owner at all.
We'd like to take the opportunity to remind you, for your own security, not to share your account details with anyone. No matter how much you may trust them, it is you who will ultimately be responsible for any wrongdoing committed with your account. So keep your passwords safe, don't store them in webmail folders or unencrypted files on your computer and don't share them with anyone. Especially not your little brother.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Renwind said:

there wasn't much on Herald this week so not much worth them repeating. And TBH i wish they would stop printing all the background info shit, its not news and i would prefer them to be doing something more useful like making sure subs page is working right or Rightnow stuff is getting answer.

GOA Boss 'have you sorted those problems reported to RightNow'
Lazy GOA worker, 'No but i wrote this story about a troll falling in love with a Dwarf'
GOA Boss 'Great i'll put in on the News Page, along with this Month old stuff from Herald'

Not that i'm against Background info but its not News, and i'm sure they could find a real home for it.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Balbor said:
GOA Boss 'have you sorted those problems reported to RightNow'
Lazy GOA worker, 'No but i wrote this story about a troll falling in love with a Dwarf'
GOA Boss 'Great i'll put in on the News Page, along with this Month old stuff from Herald'

That's actually pretty funny. :clap:

A bit unkind but there's a lot of truth in it.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
GReaper said:
They forgot to link to it on the front page. :(
Which they now describe as "network problems". GOAs excuses being blatant lies are hardly new or surprising, but they could at least TRY to be convincing.

Network problems of the 'I cant be bothered fixing it, Im off to the pub' variety Im sure :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Balbor said:
Not that i'm against Background info but its not News, and i'm sure they could find a real home for it.

It lives in the "Universe" section of the website and it's the Storyliners that write it not the Customer Support in their spare time :p

They just link to it from the friday news to highlight new stuff since as you proved not everyone can find the side nav on the front page of the website ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Background point : Strandhog !

Originally the term 'viking' defined a person who embarked on a long journey to far off lands in order to obtain riches and fame. Usually, this was done through commerce and trading, preferably through goods that are precious and easily transportable by ship - for Viking long ships are famed for their speed and agility, not their cargo space. However, in many circumstances it was sometimes preferable to plunder and pillage rather than trade. In this case one must push aside the common stereotype of the barbaric and bloodthirsty Viking. On the contrary, the Strandhog, that is to say the raid itself, is planned well in advance with any local forces evaluated and targets assigned. When the attack takes place, preferably at night, it is fast and coordinated. The Vikings rapidly seize the riches they have come for (be they goods or slaves), with planned war cries and sounds of battle to scare their enemies. In the time it takes for these latter to get together, the Viking long ships are already sailing away, their holds full of riches. The minds of the survivors are marked with the ruthless efficiency and terror of their assailants and that is why Vikings have such a reputation even today.

The mids have an excuse for alarm clock raids now :) they're being historically accurate...

(hrm need to find some stories about King Arthur attacking in the middle of the night or something)

Oddor

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
They just link to it from the friday news to highlight new stuff since as you proved not everyone can find the side nav on the front page of the website ;)
So basically they are spamming the "news" (I'm using the word very carelessly here!) because the website isn't user-friendly enough to be navigated by a normal user? Maybe they should spend a bit of time fixing the website and be done with it once and for all, instead of filling the news with material that is less interesting than paint drying. If you ask me, the GOA Daoc website is one of the most awful websites I've ever used - which is strange considering that the US, Korean and Italian Daoc sites are quite nice.

I'm on a roll now - if you don't like reading GOA flames I suggest you stop reading.

First of all, I'll confirm that the German and French friday "news" were posted in a timely manner on the respective front pages. The alledged "network problems" were apparently absent there.

Second, an excellent quote in the current Monday "news":
This week some concrete news about 1.69 ... Tests on the European 1.69 version will start soon as we should receive and install on a test server the corresponding files in a couple of weeks. Of course we cannot announce a release date until the tests have started.
If that's concrete news then I don't want to see the vague version!

Continuing reading through this piece of "news" one finds a mention of GOA's RightNow tool. Anyone using RightNow knows that as a customer support tool it is an utter failure. In order to request support, one must always search the knowledge base. Obviously, a lot of problems have nothing to do with specific questions but are particular game-related problems (stuck characters, ML credit related issues) - but players needing assistance for those problems must first enter a random question into the system, just to be able to contact customer support.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
I finished proofreading the Friday news then the network went down for the evening. The network guys had already gone home as this building is closed at weekends, so there was no real chance of getting it done that night.
The German and French news was posted first and the English news would have been posted a minute or so later however the network went down before that could happen.

There was no conspiracy to keep the English community in the dark. Honestly, what would be the point? The news was ready to go on Friday evening (I wrote some of it and proofread the rest so I know that for sure) but issues outside our control stopped us from sticking it up until later.

The News is actually published in the News section and the link on the front page is autogenerated. If you didn't see it, it means your computer was caching the front page and not showing the new link.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Oddor it's pretty simple webmastering:

New stuff on website = put link to it on the "new features" section of the front page.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
proofreading
:eek2: Only took 2 years for someone to start doing that. Progress :)

Wasnt so long ago that translation errors from babelfish were a common sight on the 'Friday news' posts :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
According to babelfish, even Friday news is better known as News of Friday.

So maybe the peeps at GOA are trying to find some useful info on Robinsons lil friend before writing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom