Friars

E

Ekg

How do you specc friars?

And are they any good?

( thinking of start a friar at pvp )

B

belth

I'd propably go 47 enh, for the last self-haste. Just leaves the last cold & matter buffs out, no biggie.

O

old.olco

going for 45 enh (last dex/quick someday :p ) and 44 staff..18 rej (u never know) and rest in parry :)

44 in staff for 1 reason...for as far as i know there aren't many +staff items in the game (last time i checked..dunno about df, never come there)
18 rej...1/3th ... gave me bit less variance in my heals
45 enh...last absorb (44) and last dex/quick i don't find the haste important enough to put 2 more in it..
9 parry it'll be i think..not sure tho

E

ethiraseth

at the moment (lvl 42) im rejuv 25 (groups like it :) ), staff 37 , enhance 26, 1 parry

although when respecc comes i gonna lower my rejuv to 15 for second rezz

at 50 i wanna go for 45 enhance (last absorb buff), 15 reuv (better rezz), 44 staff (the more damage the better), 12 parry (leftover points)

J

Jiggs

At even con pretty much the only thing that can kill you one on one is a moose. Go 45 or 47 enhance and something around 40in staff is good to aim for, unless you go like 50parry or something wierd its quite hard to gimp friars really....
Just my 2pence but i reckon friars suck real bad 20-40 until we start to get our absorbtion buffs etc. I always hit real hard but now I can take a knock or two as well :p

Q

QuickS

I personally went 47 in enhance for the last self weapon haste. I use a slow staff (5 or 5.4 spd) in rvr so the haste is essential. It only lasts for 30 secs and can be used every 3 mins, but that isnt a problem because no fights usually last more than in rvr. It is also an emergency life saver in pve - I remember soloing yellow con skeletons in the echo room in barrows and sometimes I'd pull 2 by mistake (no range pull dammit) but no problem just kick in the haste shout and kill them both ;)

The problem with the 44 staff style is that it is the third on a three style chain so there is no chance of pulling it off in rvr (the opener is a side positional style ffs). I went 44 staff for the damage variance and the hope that they fix this style in the future.

I'm 15 rejuv, 47 enh, staff 44, 7 parry but got extra points because I was over lvl 40 when patched to 1.46 and we went to 1.5 spec points.

O

old.LandShark

The resistance buff becomes group-wide in either next patch or the one after it, so I'm personally going to drop my rejuv a little and go 48enh/39staff. Group 24% cold buff that stacks with your items' can't be bad. Sure that will often be more useful to the group than a bit of extra points on heals....

edit:
that's 48enh/39staff/18rejuv/13parry if you care
Parry is broken in RvR atm anyway, may very well respec some rejuv away for more parry when we get the respec patch (also includes boost to RvR parrying i believe, in theory..)

K

Kagato.

Im planning also to go 39 staff 15 or 18 rej and get enhance as high as possible, anything left over goes into parry.

remember that as two-handed weapon users we get double chance to parry anyway, and we have evade, so im not planning on having much parry anyway, and heck it doesn't even work proply in rvr yet anyway.

K

katt!

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Parry is broken in RvR atm anyway, may very well respec some rejuv away for more parry when we get the respec patch (also includes boost to RvR parrying i believe, in theory..)

rephrase that to: parry is broken in GROUP rvr cause it sure as hell works 1 vs 1.

J

Jiggs

in my experience of RvR parry is crap cos basically you wont parry a style, 1v1 your oponent 'may' run out of endurance so you might get some parries off. Evade is great however and i got a couple of levels of dodger lined up for the new patch :)

V

Vireb

im going 25 rej 39 staff 45 enh

the rejuv is nice for use against ranged gives you a nice heale before you charge archers etc
44 staff move isnt just annoying due to postiont also its bugged

18 friar friend side attack med stun
25 banish pre req friars friend
44 stunning wrath pre req banish long dur stun

stun over stun does not work (already has that effect) even tho its an impossible chain (well maybe pull it in pve, never in rvr)
this does get fixed later (cant remember patch might even be 1.5 but im guessing 1.51) as friars friend gets changed to an attack spd reduction therefore allowing the long dur stun to work but man whoever can pull that off is a genious. as for styles i use

quickbar set up
1 = stick
2 = holy staff
3 = figure of 8 (does same dmg as counter evade)
4 = friars ally (short dur stun can be nice)
5 = reflex attack
6 = haste
7 = saints vigor (end regen)
8 = heal

same as quicksilver while soloing in barows you can pull 2 yellows and win pretty easy with haste and it happens quite alot with no ranged.
As for resist buffs they already are grp wide there conc based so castable on anyone.

K

katt!

Originally posted by Jiggs
in my experience of RvR parry is crap cos basically you wont parry a style, 1v1 your oponent 'may' run out of endurance so you might get some parries off. Evade is great however and i got a couple of levels of dodger lined up for the new patch :)

bs.

i dueled vodor (i think) today, he parried or blocked almost every single attack, all amethyst slashes.

E

Ekg

Is it totally gimp to have 50 in staff,,,,,

Its use after evade, and Friars have evade 4 =)

F

Flimgoblin

Styles you can parry... the reason you never parry in RvR is that the game counts both the bloke attacking you and all his groupmates for working out your parrying chance...

So you have your normal parry chance/8 to block the bloke attacking you (and all his mates of course... but they're on the other side of the zone so that's a bit of a waste)

Everyone was under the impression that it was styles that stopped parry before... they fixed the group thing in 1.52, not sure if it's improved things much :) (after all a lot of RvR seems to consist of 5 people hitting 1, parry won't help much there at all)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Nerc
Is it totally gimp to have 50 in staff,,,,,

Its use after evade, and Friars have evade 4 =)

evade 5 I thought? :)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Vireb
im going 25 rej 39 staff 45 enh

the rejuv is nice for use against ranged gives you a nice heale before you charge archers etc
44 staff move isnt just annoying due to postiont also its bugged

18 friar friend side attack med stun
25 banish pre req friars friend
44 stunning wrath pre req banish long dur stun

They change that in 1.51 - the friar's friend changes to an attack speed reduction...

O

old.LandShark

50 staff IS gimp - excommunicate chains off parry. And the damage increase over 44 or indeed 39 is minimal, certainly not worth the investment of the extra ton of specpoints.
And yes, friars have evade 5 gained at lvl33.

45enhance gets you the last specline dex+qui buff (gained in 1.51) and is thus pretty-much a must-have unless you're deliberately trying something wierd. Given that the only 16.5dps crafted staves to so far be put in the game are 5 and 5.4spd (polearm slow :/) I don't think i'll regret 47enhance for the final haste. And with resist buffs a) becoming group soon and b) stacking on top of your item resists, I'm going to get 48 for the final 24% cold resist buff. I don't personally need it, since it's an easy resist to max and leather has 15% (or 10%... one of em) resist to it inherently. But i figure it'll be useful for my group.

F

Flimgoblin

Friars are a bit cookie cutter at the moment... 45 enhance 39 staff rest in rejuv? something like that :)

but it's your friar :) you will do more damage with 50 staff... points over 50 still give you more weaponskill which means more damage....

J

Jiggs

Originally posted by old.kedal

bs.

i dueled vodor (i think) today, he parried or blocked almost every single attack, all amethyst slashes.

yes it seems 1v1 it works as pointed out above. As a side note since the engine checks for parry before evade there isn't much point in having a high parry since friar have evade 5 (at lev 33)
I dont think friars are cookie cutter there is quite a bit of difference between the 8reju 15reju 18reju and 25reju spec plans and all are viable.

J

Jiggs

I really want someone to go 50staff, I dont have the guts (you give up alot of buffs for that spec) but MAN the damage would be totally insane

V

Vireb

enarin lvl 50 friar has 50 staff so does hinan thesecond lvl 50 aswell and tbh as with any melee speccing post 40 realy does not increase dmg output much

V

Vireb

Originally posted by Fingoniel
Friars are a bit cookie cutter at the moment... 45 enhance 39 staff rest in rejuv? something like that :)

but it's your friar :) you will do more damage with 50 staff... points over 50 still give you more weaponskill which means more damage....
you will do more dmg speccing for the dex/qui + 75 dex is going to give you more weapskill that 6 spec lvls

F

Flimgoblin

I really want someone to go 50staff, I dont have the guts (you give up alot of buffs for that spec) but MAN the damage would be totally insane

50 staff is cool :)

you get +10 weaponskill per point over 50...
how much weapon skill does the difference between the two dex buffs give you?

Q

QuickS

Originally posted by Vireb

you will do more dmg speccing for the dex/qui + 75 dex is going to give you more weapskill that 6 spec lvls

Until we get 1.51 and the self dex/qui buff get the Brilliant Smoldering Ember staff from the princess in DF. It procs 75 dex/qui which is better than most dex/qui buffs you'll get from a cleric. The only problem is you have to run around every 10 mins hitting greys trying to get it to proc :(. which is a bit of a problem in emain.

M

Motowntheta

Well I suppose I'm the Excalibur Gimped friar but my specs at 49.5 are:

Staff 39
Enhance 38
Rejuv 33
Parry 8

I'm a healing friar :) I suppose there has to be one :)

I still do a fair amount of damage in RvR and I don't really solo so I haven't yet noticed any problems with the spec. I will probably spec staff to 40 and rejuv maybe to 35 for the lower heal variance, but if you really want to know how to spec go troll the www.drunkenfriar.com boards.

/em raises a glass to a new friar

:)

F

Flimgoblin

nice one :) not many rejuv friars around...

Olivia is campaigning hard for you ... :)

of course if they improve rejuv everyone will whine... even though all the dangerous melee friars won't get the improved rejuv stuff ... still if Tweety's rants are anything to go by the 'whine whine whine' posts get completely ignored by Sanya, the well thought out commentary gets a bit more time...

M

Motowntheta

Well they may whine..... but better to save a respec just in case... and thats a big JUST they do improve the rejuv line :)

/em hopes

Users who are viewing this thread