Friars in RvR

R

Raistlin

Hi All,

just got a question for any Friars out there...

I really like the friar class and am looking at rolling one for the classic server...

I havnt played the game for quite some time now so was just wondering...

Are Friars viable in a RvR enviroment? will i be a usefull group member... obviously resist buffs are usefull and the healing/rezzing capability...

I guess what im really asking is... with the 'required' skills (rvr wise) spread out over so many classes in Alb am i going to be continually dropped in prefrence for another class.

Cheers :)

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
They are not really useful sorry.
Anything they can do a Cleric or Merc can do better.

Minimac

Fledgling Freddie
Classic they will suck ...
Only Bodyguard they are good if u want 2 in group

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldnt take rvr advice from a pve-master.

Alb group without a friar is next to useless, you need the resist buffs and since a proper Alb group doesnt run with a paladin nowadays, all the BG work is left to friar alone. Pretty much like a warden in a hib group. This is on ToA servers ofc.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
They are not really useful sorry.
Anything they can do a Cleric or Merc can do better.

See that's the problem , takes 2 classes to do the roll of a friar ;P

Nahh Friar's on the classic server will be very good , as they are a self buffing class and have decent damage.
Pre SI ( and mostly Pre everyone have a BB) i did very well 1 Vs 1 as my friar.
and now with the NF Ra's ST3 pwnz's Vamps ( if you use it right).

But having IP vs's 2 - 4 sb's/ns's is needed as well.

Mavl

Fledgling Freddie
Friar is usefull on classic not because of omfgdamage but because of resists and RAs

Addidtional buff class is usefull also.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
dont spec the friar in rejuve, it really sucks until mythic wake up and change the friar Hot to something more usefull.

:m00:

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Eleasias said:
I wouldnt take rvr advice from a pve-master.

Alb group without a friar is next to useless, you need the resist buffs and since a proper Alb group doesnt run with a paladin nowadays, all the BG work is left to friar alone. Pretty much like a warden in a hib group. This is on ToA servers ofc.

Read his post, he wants to roll one on classic.
If you choose to run a friar you will lose your paladin (End, Shield, Resists) or Cabbie (Nearsight, Dieasese, debuff) or Theurgist (pets, interupts) or you could go down too 1 merc and lose alot of dps (det 5 friars will still suck)

A good Paladin should be able to do most of the friars jobs

Just my Oppinion, cus i know sod all about RvR you better not listen to me :)

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
Bubble said:
If you choose to run a friar you will lose your paladin (End, Shield, Resists) or Cabbie (Nearsight, Dieasese, debuff) or Theurgist (pets, interupts) or you could go down too 1 merc and lose alot of dps (det 5 friars will still suck)

wops, my bad :D

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:

a paladin might be better in some respects, one thing the friar has in its favour is static tempest. There are more bad friars in daoc then good ones, My friar can own stealthers with ST3 and IP the damage with staff can be obscene at times especially with Mop as well.

On classic a friar will do well against unbuffed stealthers, unfortunetly you wont get many stealthers on classic as they dont like to be parted from there BB, apart from a few hunters rangers who can self buff.

i would say make a friar and give it a go, best find a guild though. Mythic will most likely address friar issues next year, as they appear to be going through a class rebalancing the last few patches. so expect to see some friar love.

on another note if a friar duels with a pally, friar can usually win, unless the pally wears him down with blocks.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
I've always considered the Friar's to be the sort of Zerker of ALb .

As in , Veno and haste are on the same timer , and both mean sticking in Alot more damage when activated =).

Only bad this is Friar's don't get advanced evade :( :touch:

Kinag

Part of the furniture
If a group wants a friar for damage, something is seriously wrong.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
scorge said:
a paladin might be better in some respects, one thing the friar has in its favour is static tempest. There are more bad friars in daoc then good ones, My friar can own stealthers with ST3 and IP the damage with staff can be obscene at times especially with Mop as well.

On classic a friar will do well against unbuffed stealthers, unfortunetly you wont get many stealthers on classic as they dont like to be parted from there BB, apart from a few hunters rangers who can self buff.

i would say make a friar and give it a go, best find a guild though. Mythic will most likely address friar issues next year, as they appear to be going through a class rebalancing the last few patches. so expect to see some friar love.

on another note if a friar duels with a pally, friar can usually win, unless the pally wears him down with blocks.

Who really cares about the friar being able to win duels :)
I was really talking about the group-ability of a friar on classic, without buffbots i'm pretty sure most friars will totally pwn soloers due to self buffs against unbuffed (same with duels)
You should be able to take on 2 or 3 Stealthers if you have ST3 and IP up etc.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Friars for soloin' on classic will be rox if you gonna find a lot of 'fair' fights.

For grping on classic nahh ;>

Mavl

Fledgling Freddie
Well, let's look at it this way. Let's forget the buffs and concentrate on combat.

Friar =
red heat/cold/matter resists against casters.
ST
Additional damage in assist train.

If friar specs purge 3 and the grp has a good demezzer so he can save this purge for root, the group will be fine.

Their setup would look something like

cler
cler
sorc
pala
theu
merc
merc
friar

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
And this setup would loose the ability to Diasese and Nearsight as well as turning the sorc and theurgist into DPS machines :)

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
1 merc --> cabalist (tri spec) and your sorc can do some damage

Friars are good on classic for being an extra buffer / cure disease and possible go into assist train. Also static tempest is nice is alb extend group

But i still would prefer a mincer over a Friar

Mavl

Fledgling Freddie
Bubble said:
And this setup would loose the ability to Diasese and Nearsight as well as turning the sorc and theurgist into DPS machines :)

Clerics get disease with champion levels if it becomes really needed (although cure disease/ns comes in the same patch) :)

No nearsight, yes. But theurgist's role in this group is to do precisely what NS does - turn off enemy support.

Irksole

Fledgling Freddie
I am probly going to roll a friar on classic on wednesday. Will be for solo and small groups not FG v FG, i thought their self buffing ability would be great on classic since the no BB's thing, what u people think?

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Irksole said:
I am probly going to roll a friar on classic on wednesday. Will be for solo and small groups not FG v FG, i thought their self buffing ability would be great on classic since the no BB's thing, what u people think?

Missed the rest of the thread eh? :p

As i said, for your sort of thing the friar would be perfect.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Irksole said:

give it a go, some people will say its a good thing some will say its a bad thing. in the end you pay for the account so roll what you want, you dont have to be FOTM all the while ( just look st flims fish xbow armsman)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Afran said:
Friars for soloin' on classic will be rox if you gonna find a lot of 'fair' fights.

For grping on classic nahh ;>

yet they will still get dicked on by vamps :) hi fumble debuff vs 2h :)

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
scorge said:
give it a go, some people will say its a good thing some will say its a bad thing. in the end you pay for the account so roll what you want, you dont have to be FOTM all the while ( just look st flims fish xbow armsman)

But but Flims a gimp :p

Irksole

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
yet they will still get dicked on by vamps :) hi fumble debuff vs 2h :)
hmm debatable raven, (hi old mate barevose here from PDC), lots of heat resist will decrease there claw, and lots of parry/evade from friar will prevent vamps power also, u say 2h against fumble is bad but dont forget how fast hasted friars hit :)

Am gonna be going this spec :46 enhance 44 staff 7 rejuv and 15 parry

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
play a solo friar on US servers when no groups about <play cleric as main.
damage output is very good against certain classes sucks against others
my main targets are rangers/bards easy rps if i get up close
vamps not too bad as i have 50% heat resist and ST
but overall as much as i love the friar class when classic opens for europe
will be making a cleric/cabby as they are needed much more in both open rvr and keep takes/seiges
but ofc i will make a friar as in pve they own and much more fun than a necro to play
deepfried

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom