Friar Conversation

D

drunkenmonk

couple of things to mention, praise moan about ect and some questions, to start my friar is getting there slowly <46 atm>, now im considering 44staff 45ench 7rejuv rest parry, wondered how many others have tried this setup rather than the typical 39 staff 45 ench 7 rejuv rest parry, to be honest i cantsee an extra 10 points or so in parry making too much of a dif with evade taking presedence most tof the time, and the side stun would be grt for grps as well as adding a little bit of extra dmg. opinions plz.
Secondly have u notice that our moves seem a little, well, crap tbh, apart from counter evade giving a slight hinder for a few secs we seem to have little else going, the side combo is useless for soloing, and 50 staff move is off a parry <and most of the time u wont have it as backup cos of FB/CE backups> we got a small stun combo off evade early on but thats no good later. RA aswell, aside from the obvious Dodger 2-3, what do we get IP which cost over 20 points altogether, a counter move which is reputedly bugged, 10rps for purge <understandable for hybrid> and pretty much bugger all else, Master of Arms would be uber for slow staff friars if it wasnt bugged and the good moves cost a lot of rsp to get, id like to know some rr3 and above friar opinions on what to get aswell if possible. Almost done :D, also ive noticed my miss rate goes through the roof when i haste, bit of a NooB observation, i assume the faster weps have lower hit rate tbh but i do miss A LOT, and lastly, ive noticed some epic/quest items for friar seem to have +enchants, now people say this has no effect but has anyone tested , perhaps t gives more conc points for buffs? well i dunno anyway thats my lot ta for listening and plz gimme some ideas b4 the big 50 :D
Quarterstaff 46 friar

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by drunkenmonk
couple of things to mention, praise moan about ect and some questions, to start my friar is getting there slowly <46 atm>, now im considering 44staff 45ench 7rejuv rest parry, wondered how many others have tried this setup rather than the typical 39 staff 45 ench 7 rejuv rest parry, to be honest i cantsee an extra 10 points or so in parry making too much of a dif with evade taking presedence most tof the time, and the side stun would be grt for grps as well as adding a little bit of extra dmg. opinions plz.
Secondly have u notice that our moves seem a little, well, crap tbh, apart from counter evade giving a slight hinder for a few secs we seem to have little else going, the side combo is useless for soloing, and 50 staff move is off a parry <and most of the time u wont have it as backup cos of FB/CE backups> we got a small stun combo off evade early on but thats no good later. RA aswell, aside from the obvious Dodger 2-3, what do we get IP which cost over 20 points altogether, a counter move which is reputedly bugged, 10rps for purge <understandable for hybrid> and pretty much bugger all else, Master of Arms would be uber for slow staff friars if it wasnt bugged and the good moves cost a lot of rsp to get, id like to know some rr3 and above friar opinions on what to get aswell if possible. Almost done :D, also ive noticed my miss rate goes through the roof when i haste, bit of a NooB observation, i assume the faster weps have lower hit rate tbh but i do miss A LOT, and lastly, ive noticed some epic/quest items for friar seem to have +enchants, now people say this has no effect but has anyone tested , perhaps t gives more conc points for buffs? well i dunno anyway thats my lot ta for listening and plz gimme some ideas b4 the big 50 :D
Quarterstaff 46 friar

one word,

PUNCTUATION

B

Belomar

Seemed more like a monologue than a conversation to me. :cool:

M

Moody

And FFS its eNHANcement, not Ench(antment)!!1!one

For the rest:
We had a friar in the guild speccing 50 staff for a while. His damage and defense dropped compared to having 47 enhance/39 staff

7 rejuv is closing your eyes and denying you have a heal line. You're not a healer, but speccing it to 15 for a 30% rezz doesnt hurt you much.

Friars parry quite well, it will not save you against a group, but it's very handy when you're soloing that nightmare!!

If I ever level mine up he will be 39 staff/47 enhance/15 rejuv /19 parry.

I could also go for 29 staff/ 45 enhance/ 34 rejuv /14 parry.... but I'll leave that to my GM :D

Oh, and + enhance increases you concentrationpool (slightly) and it increases the effect of your baseline buffs (AF/STR/CON/DEX)

C

corentmm

I'm 44 staff 45 enhance 15 rej and 12 (i think) parry, so similar to your template. I like it, the side chain is great for PvE and has saved my big friar arse a few times in RvR. You need some rejuv really (imo); I'd like 25 but I've not decided whether to spec out of the staff yet or not.

I've never been 47 enhance so can't comment on the better haste shout really - I use a fast staff so it's not an issue for me. Evade takes precedence over parry as you said, so I'm sceptical about the value of more points in parry - the reason I just shoved the leftovers in there.

Check www.drunkenfriar.com/forums for good advice on, well, everything friary really. Much more sensible place to go for advice than BW.

K

Kagato.

Your technically a secondary healing class, its almost accidental that friars turned out to be so good at melee as well so really you shouldn't complain.

Besides, we have a forth coming style review so its to early to complain about combat styles just yet, they may get fixed.

The only place that friars need any improvement is in the Rejuvenation line really.

W

Woutman

Friars ???

Is that a real class ? :eek7:

-----------------------------(self made siggy)

Arezina lvl 50 Friar R6L3

(dont make a friar for group rvr purposes , just for soloing..)

E

Eggy

Seriously, I have a huge huge hangover, and attempting to read your post without punctuation really hurts my head.

I think I have a friar somewhere

H

Hotandsandy

Couldn't read much without the full stops but here's my take:

Ive tried a variety of combinations and whilst Bene is gathering dust at the moment, he is now 50 staff.

Why? Well as a secondary healer you are useless - I've joined groups (in the days when friars still got groups in rvr) and after one attack they were clearly in need of a cleric or 2. The minimum requirement is 2 clerics and the old idea that friars cant tank (no determination etc) still holds true.

So why 50 staff? Well I put most points into enhance and staff because thats where the friars strength lies - imo its a sub-par class.

I know many won't agree with this but I have had a friar for 2 years and am no3 on duskwave - not that that proves alot but at least I am speaking from some experience.

Check drunkenfriar webby for more info.

I

iluvatur

either 44 or 50 staff ... and rest in enhance and parry

O

old.Darkan

39 Staff
48 Enhance
15 Rejuv
16 Parry xd

With Dodger 2 it works pretty peachy for me ^^

D

Deletium

Well..

I went: 39 staff, 49 enhance, 15 rejuv and 13 parry..

reason.. well they dmg is about the same as a 44 staff specced friar, so dont go 44 unless for the style..

I went 49 enhance for last resists which is one of the few things i can contribute with in a grp..

15 rejuv ofc for the 30% ress.

13 parry cause u actually parry a LOT.. ofc got it fully capped so its like 13+15, and double up cause its 2handed.. so basically gives me a 34% base chance of parrying.. combine that with 1pt in MOparrying u got almost 40% chance of parrying.. thats not excact numbers, but gives an idea of that u actually do parry a lot.

The realm abilities:

Well IP is overrated imo, i didnt go for it cause i trust my clerics a lot :p I went for passives fortehwin..

purge (a MUST), mcl (is nice to have for emergency pwr when rezz is needed), Aug dex2, MOpain2, MOparry2, Aug qui2, Dodger2, Longwind, Toughness and Aug con1(friars lack HP), AOM1 now i got a few pts to spare which i dont really know what to spend on.. but that will come :p

Good luck on ur friar...

T

treaza

For lot of solo i would say,

44 staff
47 enh
7 rejuf
12 parry

u will need best ws for good evade + parry.

for groups ect.

39 staff
49 enh ( would recomand till they nerf the resist )
18 or 15 rejuf
rest parry

D

drunkenmonk

bah

who cares about my spelling and punctuality hehe
got me a nasty heavy shod staff tonite and goddamn it, they r sloooooooow even with max quick, nasty dmg though, Fix master of poxy Arms plz

F

Flimgoblin

Re: bah

Originally posted by drunkenmonk
who cares about my spelling and punctuality hehe

Anyone who has to read it ;) or anyone who's waiting for you to arrive in the case of your punctuality.

Punctuation is nice - but don't worry about apostrophes, full stops are where you should start. Full stops and paragraph breaks.

Spacing is good for you.

P

Prat

that was my exact spec until about 2 weeks ago where i swapped around the parry and rejuv to make me a bit more useful in rvr for heals in my personal opinion it it an extremely good spec your get nice damge a slightly higher weapon skill. yes in RvR particulary you do miss alot due to your hybrid weapon skill . our styles although they are crap for rvr just go around spamming boon and you cant go bad load out with mastery of pain 2-3 and your crits are very nice easily 200+ with a slower staff.

A

Athis

Well, I've been 39 Staff/48 Enhancements/18* Rejuvenation/13 Parry for quite a while now and I think it works ok. Sure, the rejuv ain't THAT much use considering how much out of my total RvR time I spend grouped but I still like rejuv over parry. If nothing else, it makes annoying tactics like snaring someone with counter-evade and then running off to heal yourself a bit easier plus people do appreciate the better res (atleast I do, damn those paladin resses, ugh).

*and MoHealing 1 due to a temporary lapse of sanity! :p

Oh and Mastery of Arms is useless to friars fixed or broken. Come on, Aug Str 3 prerequisite? Give me a break :p

Originally posted by Deletium
13 parry cause u actually parry a LOT.. ofc got it fully capped so its like 13+15, and double up cause its 2handed.. so basically gives me a 34% base chance of parrying.. combine that with 1pt in MOparrying u got almost 40% chance of parrying.. thats not excact numbers, but gives an idea of that u actually do parry a lot.

Aaaaaargh, for the last time, USING A TWO-HANDED WEAPON DOES NOT DOUBLE YOUR CHANCE TO PARRY. If someone ATTACKS you with a two-handed weapon, YOUR chance to parry is halved. Not the other way around.

N

necrofill

dodger really dont help very much :/ w/o dodger u r allready near evade cap of 50% and dodger is added b4 penalties from being attacked by DW, H2H, LA and CD users means u will have about 25% chance for evade in most of the time coz most of the tanks r light tanks!!
Id would also take toughness b4 aug con but that only me opionen.
and about spec ill would be the same as hanni 49 enh, 39 staff, 15 rejuv and rest parry (need to respec me rejuv first :/).
and parry chance r doubled if u belive catacombs and i do that to any can prove(sp?) something else :)

D

Drclink

44 staff
47 enh
7 rejuv
12 parry

Suits me just fine ok the heals are a bit random in there amountt but the last haste with a 5 spd staff works very nice indeed and I hit for an outrageous amount harder than my merc.

C

corentmm

Originally posted by Athis
snaring someone with counter-evade and then running off to heal yourself

Gotta love it :D Who says friar styles are crap?

A

Athis

Originally posted by corentmm
Gotta love it :D Who says friar styles are crap?

Having one or two good styles doesn't mean that we couldn't use a style review :p

Sigh, I wish I'd know where that stupid parry rumor came from. The inventor of that rumor would make a fine test dummy for testing if a person can indeed hide a 5 foot pole totally out of sight on their person.

Users who are viewing this thread