fresh install woes

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Sorta hard to explain but i'll try none the less.

i was switching me Hdd to another pc. and ran into a prob and had to do a fresh install of XP.i did not do a format as i wated to recover my e-mails and if possible passwords to sites/forums. so i install windows to a different folder to my orignal instasll.

i know you can recover e-mails but cant remeber how could some one please heelp.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Might help if you told us what email client you're using.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Aint used Outlook in years, but arent those messages stored as .eml in Documents and Settings? That is, if you've saved them locally. Otherwise they'll still be on the server?

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Check that you can view hidden files/folders
(Tools > Folder options > View ... (show hidden files/folders))

Assuming your outlook is installed on C:\
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{crazy folder name}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

You can copy the *.dbx files for backups.

I've had trouble using outlook express to import from backups, so I've used Eudora instead. You can use it to open multiple email databases and sort the ones you want into a single archive.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
kewl ta ladds cant thank you fellas enuff. :worthy:

Chilly

Balls of steel
my outlook stores all of its emails in *.pst files, one for working and one for archived messages, I dont agree with all this my documents bollock so just keep them in c:\pst\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom