Games Freddyshouse game of the year 2009

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Inspired by the movie thread(due respects :worthy: ), let's have one of these for games too.

If there already is one, apologies and nevermind.

My choice;

I was going to go for some other games, but after only 2-3 days of random playing with Left for dead 2(even without VS mode), it has to be my game of the year.

The reason why is simple; only bad point in that game is other human players at times and that can't be put on the game really.

Even then, it's not game ruining to have a group of triggerhappy solorunners on board.

Graphics are enough, some are amazing(hard rain effects), sounds, balance, all just sticks together and for the first time, i'm tempted to buy the first game due to the second one(i hopped on the train a bit late). Too much to explain, 5 marks of approval easily, no competition for me.

And...i'm done :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
Dragon Age.

A return for RPG's to it's root, where story and intresting party members are more important than flashy graphics.

The gameplay itself is very good, it's Dungeons & Dragons without all the retarded quirks and the overly advanced rulesystem. It does this without ever feeling like it's dumbed down

The most impressive part however is that the game manages to have over 400,000 lines of VOICED dialogue and it does this without using Bethesda's timeproven tactic of 5 voice actors in total. It really makes all the difference when even the most insignificant person in the story has his own voiceactor.

Overall Id' rate this as one of the better RPG's released ever, right up there with Planescape & Baldur's Gate 2.

--

Honorary mention would probably be ArmA II.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Dragon Age (pc) Great story told from several different angles depending on who you play. My one and only quibble is that it feels short, though it isn't its just that you wont be able to stop playing it so finish it in a few days.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Left for Dead 2 for me. The 4 player dynamic and the whole feel of the game is just so involving.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I'm tempted to say MW2 to be honest, saying as I've played it so much this last couple of weeks, but the truth of the matter is, its not that good. It's just annoyingly addictive :)

Operation Flashpoint isnt a patch on the original.

But it feels much better than Arma2, which is without doubt the heir to OpFlash.

I've downloaded L4D2, but not played it much. MW2 has been taking up my playing time.

I still play CoH 2 or 3 times a week at least.

No conclusion :(

Lethul

FH is my second home
Dragon Age

Altho I don't agree with Raven, have to be one of the few games lately that is not short. Most other games I have played lately seems to be like 4-5 hours from start to finnish. I clocked in at 80 hours on first play through on Dragon Age.

To the other games defense I would not stand playing them for 80 hours :p

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I tried to think of one for ages, but I realised that almost none of the games I really enjoyed playing this year were games that came out this year.

I kinda enjoyed coh and dow2 but I don't really like the way new rts games are going so much.
I haven't really enjoyed any new fps games that much either. Infact the last fps I really got hooked on was css :\ everything since then has been meh.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Really enjoyed Halo Wars on the Xbox 360. Dragon Age is good and Modern War 2 multiplayer is pretty epic. I guess I might pick Dragon Age just ahead of the other two.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
CSS will always be here :)

I'll second that CS and then CSS eventually - no game has gripped me quite like both of those, I've invested so much of my living life in that game, I skipped so many lectures at uni and nearly flunked big time due to 16 v 16 de_aztec games until 4am.

The sun would start coming up and I'd think "shit, need to go to bed" - then as_oilrig would come on and I'd just have to have one more game ;).

Oh, and then maybe some 747 on Beta 5 CS :).

No game has ever come close.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I loved 747, but I loved assault even more, especially when nade spamming that corner where the ladder was outside :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's all about getting on the roofs on arab_streets

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Dragon Age

Altho I don't agree with Raven, have to be one of the few games lately that is not short. Most other games I have played lately seems to be like 4-5 hours from start to finnish. I clocked in at 80 hours on first play through on Dragon Age.

To the other games defense I would not stand playing them for 80 hours :p

You mis-understand. it felt short because I played it pretty much solidly for 4-5 days, probably about the same on completion, 70, 80 hours.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
pc: dragon age origins

console: assassins creed II

tbh its not been a brilliant year for the pc

would like to give batman arkham asylum a special mention too brilliant game across all platforms

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
Couple for me thought empire at war was brilliant but thats mainly as i love that period of history and DOW 2 altho i dont think it should be called DOW 2 still a great game all i seem to be playing latley.

Also altho tsill new and probbly nothing new in the game compared to the last one FM10 only because iv just got in to that kind of game and football in genral.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Think i'm gonna have to go with Dragon age aswell.

Havent really played a whole lot of the newer games this yesr so its kinds hard to decide then :)

only miffed that DA:O actually ends. i wanted a open endgame where i could wade through all the rest of the darkspawn while running around the towns charging idiots for saving their world :(

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
I've been really liking Torchlight in a kind of Diablo, pick up and play for 30 minutes sort of way. Left 4 Dead 2 is ok but PC death has put that on hold.

Not played Dragon Age or even looked at it but may well do now since it seems highly rated :)

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Street Fighter IV.

It has much better replay value than short games like Dragon age, and they've managed to continue the series, without screwing too much up. I've been playing it since february.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I've finally got around to playing L4D2 this afternoon.

Played the circus level with the rock band thing at the end. Awesome. Easily the best game I've seen this year. 10/10 :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Played the circus level with the rock band thing at the end. Awesome. Easily the best game I've seen this year. 10/10 :)

Just wait until you see the hard rain campaign, i was actually standing there, just admiring the effects and sounds on many occasions :D

After playing the 5 campaigns, i got into VS gameplay and i was even more impressed.

Then i learned how to play the infected and also tried the scavenge, survival and especially realism mode...it just keeps on giving :clap:

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Just wait until you see the hard rain campaign, i was actually standing there, just admiring the effects and sounds on many occasions :D

After playing the 5 campaigns, i got into VS gameplay and i was even more impressed.

Then i learned how to play the infected and also tried the scavenge, survival and especially realism mode...it just keeps on giving :clap:

Still trying to get through a darn realism/expert campaign but every group I join, following a couple of wipes splits up, even when we get close to the end of a level :(

Anyone interested in a group doing it? Well, any FHers that want a game, not played with any of you yet.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Still trying to get through a darn realism/expert campaign but every group I join, following a couple of wipes splits up, even when we get close to the end of a level :(

Anyone interested in a group doing it? Well, any FHers that want a game, not played with any of you yet.

My steam..err...handle? is Crosshare. Give a shout, join in game or some such, i know nothing of how this steam friend system works :D

If i join a game, i stick to it until the end. Too often i've had to play the infected alone, or the survivors for that matter, but the good thing is that people respect someone sticking around even by yourself. I'm no expert, i'm maybe at a "good enough" level with the infected, but i try my best.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
It definately looks better than the old L4D. The gun sounds are superb too, I've been playing MW2 a bit as I said, and the sounds on there are shite :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
InFamous for me. Great gameplay, graphics and longevity. The most fun I've had with a pad in 2009.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

We MUST play!

Oh and L4D2 is the game of the year for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom