Framerate (Again!)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
OK, so.

Upgraded.

Now running...

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Duel Core 5200+ (2.71ghz)
Biostar mcp6p-M2 Main Board
2 GB Kingston Hyperx DDR2 ram
xfx Geforce 9800gt

The game is installed to a freshly formated, virus scanned, adware scanned, defragged hard drive running a fresh instal of windows xp.

I have followed all the advice in this thread (especially the nvidia tweaking guide)....

Warhammer Tweak Guide - Onrpg Free MMORPG Forums

and have all settings to low in game. and have killed all background proccess hat are none esential.

I now run around the world at over 80 FPS, no probs there

In Tor anroc it drops to around 25 - 35, still playable

Yet just now, in a warband, with no defenders in the keep, my frame rate in the lord room of the keep was a steady 10ish.

What the hell is going on? I have read plenty of reports from people with worse systems than me saying they are playing full scale rvre with no lag whatsoever!

I am at the end of my tether here...

pikeh

Resident Freddy
2gig ram?

4gig is the bare minimum you should really expect to play with nowadays - its so cheap to ignore imo, but OFC if you have just upgraded to the best of your monetary means then you don't really want to hear that I guess :(

I havn't read the link, but have you tried maxing out all of the graphics settings on your graphics card, like forcing AA/AF?

I've heard plenty of people talk about buffthrottle, an addon that messes about with buff/debuff timers or something basically making the game run a lot more smoothly where large amounts of buffs and debuffs are being thrown around (TA/Keep lord room for example).

Urgat

Part of the furniture
My last resort will be to upgrade again to 4g ram, but that will have to wait for a while now.

Buff throttle is installed, and have tried all possible GFX configurations on my card.

:(

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Have you tried disabling combat logs/combat window?

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Yup.

There is no logging going on at all.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Well like I said before, could be your memory. Not much else I can think of mate, sorry :(

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
I now run around the world at over 80 FPS, no probs there

In Tor anroc it drops to around 25 - 35, still playable

Yet just now, in a warband, with no defenders in the keep, my frame rate in the lord room of the keep was a steady 10ish.

My mate has the same issue, and he's running a similar CPU (bit slower), same RAM but using the ATI 4870 1Gb card.

Given a comparison of my rig to his (we use identical gfx cards), it is my conclusion that both the CPU count and the RAM are the issues. This game eats both in large quantities. Its always worth getting more RAM, so I would do that first and see how you go, but I run an Intel Q6600 and all 4 CPUs get chewed quite heartily by Warhammer.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.33GHz
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
Leadtek GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Sound Card
OCZ GameXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
Hazro HZ24Wi 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black Aluminium
Logitech Z-2300 Sound System

The above are my specs, I run 1920x1200 with 16x AF, 4x AA, all settings maxed including specular lightning and I run on a very stable 55-60 FPS. As you can see, I have 2 GB RAM. Your RAM won't be the problem, besides, there's no process that even nearly requires more than 2GB RAM if you're on XP.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
OK folks. Thanks for the feedback.

Guess i am just gonna have to live with it. Cos after a month solid of trawling the net for advice and tweak guides, i am out of ideas.

Sanzor

Fledgling Freddie
I run 2GB RAM on my computer aswell and seen the problem only during keeptakes, however not on every keeptake. It's like stuck to the area unless you log out and in again. I've been in keep takes with 20 defenders and framerate wasen't as issue at all. Other times with even less defenders, the framerate turns down to 8-10 and it's nearly unplayable. Whenever I run away from the keep and it will slowly start to be smoother the further I run away. Odd part is that this thing sticks to the keep, even though noone are having a battle.

Looks more like a game issue, if you ask me.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Guess i am just gonna have to live with it. Cos after a month solid of trawling the net for advice and tweak guides, i am out of ideas.

The hardware you have should run WAR fine. There are a few possibilities,

1) The hardware is somehow faulty or installed incorrectly.
2) Some settings are not correct
3) WAR has problems with that specific hardware setup

Do you have any other games that have high requirements? Do they work smoothly all the time?
You say that you sometimes have 80 FPS but you also sometimes have 8-10 FPS? Is there a pattern to when you have the low FPS or when you have a high FPS?
I do know of some independent tests that were done on WAR that showed that some of the GeForce cards weren't great. If you have tried everything else it might be a case of just waiting for Mythic to improve the WAR engine.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
hi

The hardware you have should run WAR fine. There are a few possibilities,

1) The hardware is somehow faulty or installed incorrectly.
2) Some settings are not correct
3) WAR has problems with that specific hardware setup

Do you have any other games that have high requirements? Do they work smoothly all the time?
You say that you sometimes have 80 FPS but you also sometimes have 8-10 FPS? Is there a pattern to when you have the low FPS or when you have a high FPS?
I do know of some independent tests that were done on WAR that showed that some of the GeForce cards weren't great. If you have tried everything else it might be a case of just waiting for Mythic to improve the WAR engine.

Hi, Cheers for the reply...

I can play COD4 on full settings on a 40 player server and get no drop in fps at all.

The fps drop is during keep takes,

Like i said, i am beggining to think it is an engine issue. Hopefully Mythic will tweak it some more in the future.

Thanks again.

sp4nky

Fledgling Freddie
I would stop thinking it is your computer! and blame bad code. I have a beast of a computer and I silll get FPS drops. leave the game and relog and oh its fine...

just for you info here is my spec
Intell Quad Core 2.6mhz
8Gb ram
5x500gb rapter HD
2x Geforce 280 1gig cards
run at 1920x1200

I get no problems in games which require higher spec's then this game!

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
just out of curiiosity have you got the latest drivers from the officail sites (e.g. nvidia.com/amd.com) as if you have XP the AMD chips often have problems without installing the drivers and the dual core optimiser.

I run the game with this setup.
Vista Ultimate X64
AMD 64 X2 5200 (overclocked to 3.1GHz)
4Gig of corsair 800mhz ram (clocked at about 950mhz)
Geforce 8800 GT 256MB
at 1440X900 and the game runs perfectly so I would blame the game more than your hardware.

Loneliness

Loyal Freddie
My comp is pretty much the same as the op but i have a amd athlon x2 duel core 5000+ :( yet its still doing a good job.

I have Buffthrottle/infthrottle, several script macros to turn off trackers and combat logs.

But the main thing was increasing my cpu frequency in bios so i got 3GHz ive reduced this so i have good stability to 2.89GHz.

Now if i could just use that 6400 thats been in the draw for 12months ://

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom