Frame rate problems since the patch.

H

hellraisermk2

Quite simply, since the new patch my fram rate has dropped from an average of 60fps, to 2fps. Obviously it's now unplayable. Does anyone know why this is or have a possible fix?

I'm running win XP/ 2000 server with a GF2 Ultra.

Cheers.

A

Aravis

Not noticed anything myself so;

Are your graphics drivers up to date ?
Was quite a big download, so try defragging...
Did you update anything else on patch day (you know, can't play, see what updates I can get while I wait...)

Is it just a case of the areas you are in have a lot more people than normal ?

R

Roo Stercogburn

XP Server?

Where can I buy this fine product? :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ok... I had similar issues. Today I've reinstalled DAoC completely and downloaded all the updates in one go. That has helped a little. I was also tinkering around in the services and stopped quite a few of them. I don't recommend playing there though. Read the thread about the Messenger service, the link it points you at is very good.

Defragging, as mentioned above is a very good thing to do.

Sorry. Friday night, had beer, had kebab, shuffling off now... :)

I had to listen to:

"Hey neebs, ye ordered a taxi?"

"No, I haven't"

"Will ye then, I canna walk?"

"I think that's your taxi out there mate, quick better catch him before he goes..."

<Collects kebab quick before the guy with one eyebrow comes back in and starts kicking ass>

Spirit Masters may not have a speed buff, but you'd better f**king believe I did :)

O

old.job

My Geforce 2 will run at 2fps for the first 2 mins then recovers, sometimes runs OK straight away, try waiting for a bit ,it seems to recover over time, reload 8.1, that helped me a lot.

L

Lanceloc

I had a very similar problem, my gfx became very jerky. The fps would go up and down all the time, even with nothing but landscape around me.

I went to Taskmanager (press CTRL-ALT-DEL) and found nmm.exe was using up all the CPU power (well over 90% anyway). End task on that one and that solved it.

So basically check theres no other programs running in the background taking up precious processing power/causing disk swapping.

I have WinXP Pro.

nmm.exe is a Netmeeting program, possibly a server program for hosting Netmeetings. It came back a few times but hasn't for a while now.

B

Blood

count them on your fingers :(

I agree with the original poster, my FPS have also gone trough the floor with the latest patch.. a few players on my screen and my GF2 comes to a grinding halt, today my entire pc froze for 20 seconds because of 1 ae fire nuke (alb), then chunk next frame 15 seconds, and by that time i had turned effects self on (and i was dead when my screen moved again).

Going to try updating drivers in the morning.

C

censi

yep,

my FPS is down to since patching....

running 2.4 gig with 1 gig ddr mem and GEF4 tti 4600 128 meg.... Getting real nasty Fps....

I have latest drivers and nothing hogging the CPU in the background.

fecked if I know what it is... I know I wont get much help from right now..... but I cant be arsed to play much nowadays neway...

L

Lanceloc

I have an Athlon 1.2GHz, 512 PC133, GF4 ti4400, WinXPPro and DAOC is fine with the 30.82 drivers which are the latest ones that are signed by Micro$oft.

I tried the Detonator 40 BETA drivers and they tended to crash most of my 3D games after 10 minutes or so, requiring a reboot.

Therefore I went back to 30.82 which I am very happy with to be honest.

H

hellraisermk2

Nothing I've tried can get me around this problem. I'm actually down to 1 frame every FIVE seconds now and am quite frankly too pissed off to even bother trying anything else now (I refuse to go back to Win98 and DAoC support of 2000 is too shoddy to justify installing it on that partition).

I've tried quite a few fixes, from the blindingly obvious (checking dxdiag to ensure Direct Draw, etc is enabled, updating various drivers such as the dets and the 4in1's) through to less obvious fixes (upgrading mobo bios, etc).

Can anyone else see anything from my setup which could be causing problems:

Epox 8k7a+ (latest BIOS), XP1800 (running at 1.8ghz/ xp 2200ish), 80gb RAID 0, SB Live 5.1, GF2 Ultra, running WinXP for DAoC.

Could it be a networking problem? We've had a few issues just cropped up where Counter Strike will only work on one PC at a time on our network (Webramp 600i ADSL router running between 2-6 PC's dependant on needs). I can't see how it could be as other than the occassional reboot of the router, the settings are identical to what they've always been.

Ahhh well, 50th season Warrior and 34th season Healer retired until I can find a fix :(.

M

Mexlin

Do a virus scan. I had the same prob, and i scanned me comp for viruses, found on, cleared it and badabing - no more slow DAoC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom