FPS problems?

Trylle^nzi

Fledgling Freddie
Hi fellow WoW'ers!

Alright, the 11th I bought wow when it was out. Came home and installed it, created an account and started my character, everything ran all smooth - no lags and whatsoever.
Yesterday when I was grouping with my irl friends as usual, it suddenly became sooo slow dropped to around 4 - 5 FPS and couldn't do a thing when I was supposed to heal my group.

Now I have:

Ran antivirus program, Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy, cleaned my computer totally.

Uninstalled my currently installed ATi drivers, downloaded new and installed them.

Put everything to low details, removed the vsync and the other function(right over the vsync function in WoW) and took all shading effects off.

Checked my fans in my comp, both CPU and gfx card fan. Nothing wrong here either, temperature is perfect.

Closed all "small" programs to make up free memory and checked diskspace on C:\ which is also just fine(1.6gb free)

Played Counter-Strike and DAoC for an hour or two with perfect framerates.

Some specs:

Resolution in WoW: 1600x1200 @ 85hz (same as in DAoC), this resolution were also on when WoW ran all smooth.

CPU: AMD Palomino 1900+
RAM: 1024 DDR
GFX: ATi Radeon 9600XT 256mb

So my question for you gentlemen is, what can cause such a sudden FPS drop when I have alrdy checked all these things?

Last thing I'm gonna try when I get home from work is to re-install WoW and see if it will help in any way(doubt it will)

Thanks in advance.

Trylle^nzi

Fledgling Freddie
Oh and just to mention: I have tried to set the resolution in wow to 800x600 to see if there was any difference at all, and to my big surprise, there wasnt.. was still running the 4 - 5 FPS

:confused:

Aldias

Fledgling Freddie
Its nothing to do with CPU or memory. I have the same problem, every 10mins i have for 30secs-1min 3-4 fps and i am using Radeon 9800 pro.

The problem is the GFX card. WoW as all the last 2 years games at least running better with Gforce rather ATI.

There was a thread in EU official forums about this topic, but now all wiped out when wow came to retail. Maybe they have a thread in US forums.

Many people have experience this FPS problems and there isnt a proper solution to this. Last update drivers of ATI didnt solve the problem either.

Only thing u can do is buy a Gforce card :p

Trylle^nzi

Fledgling Freddie
Goddamit :( Can't even afford a Gforce card.. hmm, the funny thing is, that my mate who's also got a Radeon card(9800 pro) is running WoW perfectly fine with high fps rate and such.

Thanks for reply :)

Ashandar

Fledgling Freddie
Trylle^nzi said:
Goddamit :( Can't even afford a Gforce card.. hmm, the funny thing is, that my mate who's also got a Radeon card(9800 pro) is running WoW perfectly fine with high fps rate and such.

Ive got the 9800 pro and have never had these issues either... i dont think it is therefore solely the card. Plus (taken this from Blizz) so im sure it isnt....

*Supported Video hardware
ATI
-Card models:
Radeon 7000 (QW / QE / QY) series
Radeon 8000/9000/X000 Series

P.s. You also got/ran Spywareblaster too?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I run a radeon9800pro - game runs flawlessly smooth at 1280x1024, getting around 60fps and doesnt drop under 30 ever.

Only time it stutters is when i run Fraps (a movie capturing program) and open my last bagslot for some reason (can have all others open, but when i open the last, by itself or with the others open, it start to stutter). Dunno why.

Ive actually heard it runs better on radeons midlevel cards than nvidia midlevel ones. I.e. it runs better on 9800pro than on fx5950ultra etc.

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
Trylle^nzi said:
GFX: ATi Radeon 9600XT 256mb

I have this same graphics card in 2 machines and they all run WoW without the framerate problem. Iirc they have different ATI driver versions from a few versions ago to the latest.

I use them with Intels rather then Athlons though, maybe its an issue with the environment rather then just the card/drivers ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom