FPS issues and solutions

M

MrChumble

I have god awful fps, down to 0.3 in intense fights. Sys is a Athlon 1.2 with a Gef3, 768mb ram.

I haven't found any solutions to my probs yet, but along the way I've heard people saying the following fixed it for them. If you have any suggestions please add them to the list. If you have problems...try the stuff on the list :)

- Turning off hardware sound
- Turning on hardware sound
- Using low quality sound
- Setting the bf exe to high priority (might cause sys probs!)
- Using 16bit colors
- Using the latest nvidia reference drivers
- Lowering your connection speed
- Closing background processes (zonealarm, anti virus etc)

S

Scooba Da Bass

I've had no problem with FPS at any point (except server side). I'm not sure it'll fix anything, but have you got Fog Table Emulation enabled on your graphics card?

L

lojik

I could be wrong and dont want to get drawn into an "Intel is better than AMD" debate BUT... everyone I have seen complaining of bad FPS has gone on to list an AMD CPU in their hardware specs, often accompanied by a GF3.

Now this may just be a law of averages thing, its likely that thats the most popular gaming rig these days, but it does seem to be a common theme amongst the FPS challenged for this game.

S

Summo

White noise

Just to chip in... for a few days I had 'the sound bug' people keep talking about. Sound effects are replaced early in the game by a loud and constant white noise. Muting the sound for a few minutes would sometimes fix the prob but it would always come back.

Recently I discovered there's a page 2 in the sound options, and enabling hardware sound fixed the white noise issue and greatly improved the quality of sound. Artillery fire now rocks my house.

S

Scooba Da Bass

I'm on an AMD and GF4, no problems here...

W

Will

I've tried an Athlon XP with a Radeon and with a GF4, both run no problems.

S

S-Gray

I have a AMD 1800+ and a Geforce3 (Updated Dets) i checked my FPS but i get a shit 30fps... i stumped on how to make it better, but then again, im not gonna look into it because this is only the Demo, so im *hoping* everything will be hunkey dorey when its Released

S

Skyler

1900 amd with gf4 ti4600 and 30.82's and i have no slowdown ;)

S

S-Gray

im wondering if i should drop back to 30.82's and check... because it seems now im having a few problems with other games.. is the 40.41's BETA or somethin?

I believe someone (Summo i think) said they removed the 40.41's from the Nvidia site... so maybe they where a failure?

S

Summo

Yeah, looks like they have been pulled. They're still there on the archived drivers page, though. :/

S

S-Gray

The Drivers are on the Main Page Summo i had a look before, its just they're not in the Drivers Area.

Anyway, i installed the 30.82's and i got an fps of 70 (In a LAN Game) so if it does drop to whatever again while on the Net, it has got to be some Server Setting?

G

Gumbo

Okay I know this is really for the Hardware Forum, but while we're on the subject...

I have a Geforce 4 sold by Abit, should I stick with driver updates from the Abit site, or go for the more often updated Nvidia drivers?

Sorry for n00bishness of question.

W

Will

Nvidia drivers. Just look at the date on the Abit drivers and that should convince you.

W

wildie

hehe

I have a amd 1g 512 mem and a gf2 mx 400 and a sb live 5:! surround, os is system xp, and run it in 1024x768x32 and i have no issues that make the game unplayable,
heres what i use fsaa off v-sync off fog table off 32 bit z-buffering on, i think most ppl are tweaking the opengl settings and not direct 3d the game is d3d only and all gf cards are d3d not gl cards.

the game is d3d only so no point in tweaking the gl is there also you may want to try powerstrip i found it very handy
difrent settings for difrent games no messing about one for all have multi settings :)

M

MrChumble

A wee update. I installed the new Creative Live driver package (well new to me, came out in July). My really bad fps drops have vanished, I'm now bottoming out at about 5 fps instead of 0.5. It's still wank, but it's playable for the most part. Still maxing at about 30 though.

M

MrChumble

Scooba Fog Table Emulation is on...is that supposed to be good or bad? :)

P

Panda On Smack

i decided to try the thing in the patch readme last night which goes along the lines of changing a 0 to a 1 so u can choose refresh rates in game.

i changed to 800x600 @ 120hz and now its smooth as fuck

wasnt bad at 60hz though tbh

B

bids

I did the video settings patch thingy, and the resolution I normally play at doesn't appear in the list - 1280x1024.

Anyone else got this problem / know of a solution ?

(Running Geforce 4 TI4200 on a 2Ghz PIV, 75Hz 19" LCD).

S

Summo

Stick to a man's resolution and all will be peachfuzz.

Users who are viewing this thread