FPS and connection tweaking

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Hi there :)
It's been such a long time since I played bf1942 and I'm having a problem with it ...

the game just seems to judder along in a drawn out jerky frame-by-frame kind of way. It feels like I'm getting about 10 fps (though I forget the command to show fps so couldnt say for sure). I'm playing at 1024/768/32 with textures and details on medium iirc. I'm running it on an Athlon64 3200, 1gb 3200 corsair ram, radeon 9600xt, drivers maybe a version or two out of date.
I've spent time getting my controls setup exactly as I want them, but don't really know much about tweaking the game for performance. Any advice on settings for both connection and fps? It could just as easily be connection settings related as fps I suppose. I'm on nildram 512k adsl, which is always solid as a rock.

All advice greatfully received.

Cham

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Chameleon said:
Hi there :)
It's been such a long time since I played bf1942 and I'm having a problem with it ...

the game just seems to judder along in a drawn out jerky frame-by-frame kind of way. It feels like I'm getting about 10 fps (though I forget the command to show fps so couldnt say for sure). I'm playing at 1024/768/32 with textures and details on medium iirc. I'm running it on an Athlon64 3200, 1gb 3200 corsair ram, radeon 9600xt, drivers maybe a version or two out of date.
I've spent time getting my controls setup exactly as I want them, but don't really know much about tweaking the game for performance. Any advice on settings for both connection and fps? It could just as easily be connection settings related as fps I suppose. I'm on nildram 512k adsl, which is always solid as a rock.

All advice greatfully received.

Cham

Try turning EAX sound off if it's on, Miles 2D is best performance-wise and knock the channels down to 32. Also have a look here.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Also, I seem to get jerkiness problems if my FPS isn't 60 or 120.

renderer.lockfps 60
Guess what this does? :)
You need to put it in your video.con or whatever the what what what the file was called. I can't remember.

Maybe it might help, maybe it won't. Mrrgh.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Use fps 1 in console to show frame rate m8 :) If its vietnam, turn down the sound as has been suggested, though it makes it sound utter crap.
My pc is a xp3000/9088pro/1024ram and BF1942/DC gets 80+ fps at 1280-960 with detail on full and sound on hardware acceleration, so I would think yours would do similar.
For sound atm BF , and especially DC kicks Vietnams arse imho.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
For sound atm BF , and especially DC kicks Vietnams arse imho.

Sorry i don't understand that. You saying that the BF1942 and DC have better sound etc then vietnam?
:eek7:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Definately DMW.

This of course is because Im forced to use 32 channels Miles Tallywacker sound or whatever it is, rather than the hardware enabled sound of lovely DC.
I played quite a bit of DC yesterday, and was amazed by the quality of the sound, compared to Vietnam.

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Just a lil update .......

I think part of my problem was that it would not keep the correct connection settings. It kept forgetting my changes and put me back to isdn. I found the file this setting was stored in and changed it. Seems a bit better.
I did FPS at the console and it did give me an fps read-out in the top left. It seems to stick pretty much constantly at 99fps ...... so much so that I wonder if somehow it's capped. I can't see 'renderer.lockfps x' in any of the config files though! Weird. Oh, is it normal to have those dodgy red lines jumping about the screen while 'fps' is turned on? Is that sposed to be some kind of graphical display of fps or some kind of connection information?
Can anyone tell me if there is a command to turn on a 'lagometer'? I want to see when and if I'm getting packet loss, etc.

Thanks again

Cham

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Dunno about the lagometer, but the part you mention about holding connection settings I know. If you change them ingame from the menu (or most other settings actually) you need to join a server for the game to save them. It's a pain in the arse but that's how it works for future reference. It took me a while to figure out why my choice to have the old style comms menus wasn't sticking.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
Definately DMW.

This of course is because Im forced to use 32 channels Miles Tallywacker sound or whatever it is, rather than the hardware enabled sound of lovely DC.
I played quite a bit of DC yesterday, and was amazed by the quality of the sound, compared to Vietnam.

Ah right, Fair enough then.

It's all about the sound in vietnam for me :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Can you play the game with DAX enabled without it running like shite then ? I cant, though I'd love too. Turning the sound down greatly improves the running of the game, but , as I said, makes it sound like shit :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Chameleon said:
I can't see 'renderer.lockfps x' in any of the config files though! Weird. Oh, is it normal to have those dodgy red lines jumping about the screen while 'fps' is turned on? Is that sposed to be some kind of graphical display of fps or some kind of connection information?
You're meant to add it in to lock it at whatever FPS you want it at. And I thought those black and red lines were a graph of the FPS or something.

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Aye that's what surprised me clown - I haven't set it anywhere, but fps seems to stick at a constant 99, as if it has been capped.
Thanks again for the info.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
100fps is maximum for BF1942 Cham, though not for Vietnam. What resolution are you running in to get 99 solid m8?

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Ah ok thanks Throd.
I have atm 1024x768x32 but on low quality. I'll try increasing the quality in that case and test when it starts to drop off from the cap.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aye, I use 1280-960 full detail and its mostly 80+ fps, which is more than playable, and looks great too :)

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno if it's just my system but I find the sound extremely crap. The balancing is all bodged in so my own gunfire is pretty quiet, I can barely hear my team mate firing a couple meters away from me and yet the voices are screaming out of my speakers giving me a headache.

Tried Miles 2D Positional and I get really annoying crackly sounds on explosions, ricochets and a couple other noises. The 3D effect on EAX is pretty nice but I just can't turn it up loud enough without someone tearing my ear drums apart with 150dB vietnamese. Any way to disable the voices?

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Also servers seem ultra laggy. I'm getting the stutter that I used to get on the 64 player bf1942 servers on the 32 player 'nam servers. Not impressed at all, seems to be a huge step backwards from bf1942. Can't really imagine how bad BF:2 will be if they continue this trend.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Some truth in that Cask, mine crashes to desktop all the time too :(
Ive gone back to dc mostly.

ArrrImmaPir8!

Fledgling Freddie
Do none of you remember how shit BF42 was before it was patched up? Give Vietnam 2 patches like I said in the other thread and it'll play like a prettier '42.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Thats not now tho is it ? If it improves with the next patch, I will play it more. At the moment however, its impossible to play as I sometimes only last 5 minutes before ctdt.
And DC rocks ;)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Having said that, I would like to say, bfv is a bloody good game, I really like it. I just wish it wouldnt bloody crash all the time, hell I can even put up with the M60s ... :(

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I am a noob with PCs and mine never crashes Throddy - not gloating, just can't understand why yours crashes...

TWEAKING IS YOR EMENY!1

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My BF1942 used to crash regularly, was a heat problem in the end.

I do occasionally get a little "jerk" feeling when playing online, i don't think it's a frame rate problem, it definitely feels like a connection issue.

Additionally, 64 player servers must be a fair load for the server? A little spike now and again doesn't surprise me.

G

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I think the thermal compound (arctic silver 3) may have "broken down", for lack of a better expression. I read somewhere that thermal compound should be refreshed after a year or two, and this tied in with the fact my CPU was idling ~60 degrees C.

I took the Zalman flower off and cleaned both the CPU die and the bottom of the heatsink. I reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the heatsink. Was fine ever since and the CPU was back idling at 48-51 degrees.

That heavy heatsink sits side on, so it perhaps became dislodged when I moved the case or the thermal paste had broken down, or a bit of both.

As I say, my BF1942 was crashing constantly prior to this, but the above procedure fixed it.

G

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Oh, my cpu idles at 40 to 48 deg kind of thing :(

I actually played bfv for an hour and a half this evening with no ctd! Miracle!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Big G said:
I think the thermal compound (arctic silver 3) may have "broken down", for lack of a better expression. I read somewhere that thermal compound should be refreshed after a year or two, and this tied in with the fact my CPU was idling ~60 degrees C.

I took the Zalman flower off and cleaned both the CPU die and the bottom of the heatsink. I reapplied the thermal paste and reseated the heatsink. Was fine ever since and the CPU was back idling at 48-51 degrees.

That heavy heatsink sits side on, so it perhaps became dislodged when I moved the case or the thermal paste had broken down, or a bit of both.

As I say, my BF1942 was crashing constantly prior to this, but the above procedure fixed it.

G

Wow - are you me in the future ? My PC is over two years old, has a Zalman flower, has been moved about recently, and is getting hot and crashing now. I was just thinking the above may be the problem and was about to do what you've done. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom