Foreign drivers...

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I go away for a few days and there's a bunch of opinion threads. Well here's another one, on foreign drivers in your country.

I watch a lot of Police programs and I'm constantly seeing foreign drivers who don't know the laws of our roads or are unable to understand the road signs. This has made me think and I've come to the following conclusion.

As it stands, people can drive in this country for a few months with a foreign license, they then have to take a UK test to be able to drive any longer. However, having said what I said above I think that people who move to this country should be forced to take the Theory and Practical tests before they're allowed to drive on our roads, regardless of whether or not they're licensed to drive in their own country. As for tourists, they should have to take a written exam to prove that they understand the major traffic laws of the UK and that they are competent enough with reading and understanding our signs.

This would, I feel reduce the rate of accidents involving foreign drivers drastically. I'm not saying this should apply solely to the UK, it should apply to any country. If someone from here wanted to take a driving vacation in France for instance the same should apply.

Opinions?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
couldn't agree more.

if they feel the need to drive in a country they don't reside in normally then they should take that countries driving test.

problems would maybe ensue if someone just comes to visit on a vacation with a "mobile house" (caravan?) for a week or two...

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
couldn't agree more.

if they feel the need to drive in a country they don't reside in normally then they should take that countries driving test.

problems would maybe ensue if someone just comes to visit on a vacation with a "mobile house" (caravan?) for a week or two...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. As for the Mobile Home bit, that would be covered by the tourists section of my idea.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
they should all be made to walk!
no tests no fuss...

call it eh..national health policy

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
You have no idea how fking hard it is to drive on the left side when you're used to driving on the right side. Atleast for the first couple of days orso. Even crossing the road (walking) is dangerous and almost took my fathers life. Because you're used to looking the other way for traffic ^^.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I'm from the UK and I'm a horrible driver, I don't care how bad foreign drivers are they are no where near as mad bad and dangerous to know as me so I really cannot slag off anyone elses driving.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Even crossing the road (walking) is dangerous and almost took my fathers life. Because you're used to looking the other way for traffic ^^.

I went to Portugal a month ago and fuck, crossing the road was confusing. And dangerous. Roundabouts were even worse...

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Besides India and asia countries, in Europe ive not been in a place with more craziest drivers than Greece (closely followed by Italy)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Opinions?

imo being a driver in the UK one should be just as careful as anywhere else. by your logic, everyone with a qualification from another country should have a mandatory retake of their exams. good luck with that.

I understand your issue, given you guys drive on the (joke) wrong side of the road and all, and get Euro/Other drivers over who must adjust. Not to be rude, but if you can't adjust within at the most a couple of days you shouldn't be on the roads in the first place, and in the mean time you should be extra careful no? Well when I was in NZ and Oz, I drove in a wrong-way-round car on the wrong side of the road and all went well. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the other drivers on the road were lovely. Imo that is a critical issue to take into account.

When I went to the UK for my bro's wedding, I noticed three things when he picked me up: 1) the roads are very busy, 2) there are roadworks everywhere, 3) most if not all of the other people on the road were thick ***** who were doing their best to kill us.
On the other hand, when my bro came over here, he drove on the -for him- incorrect side of the road for the first time in over 20 years, through an extremely busy city, down 120km of motorway and to my house without a single issue at all. In fact, he made a point of mentioning it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, nearly totally unworkable and will hurt tourism and business. Also, I think that basing your judgements on those trash TV shows is dangerous.

Most people take more care when driving in a foreign country, it's the locals that are the worse. Nothing more dangerous on a road than a driver who thinks they know they roads.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
In my experience, dutch drivers are "in general" very conciderate.
same goes for sweden & Norway...

The most scary place I've driven ? South Africa!! (Holy mother crap!!!)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Most people take more care when driving in a foreign country, it's the locals that are the worse. Nothing more dangerous on a road than a driver who thinks they know they roads.

Exactly! I´ve been in the UK a couple of times and since it´s an unusual situation, I was always concentrated and careful. Same with UK people in central Europe... they always seem to be extra careful, never had any problems with them. NL people on the other hand... O_O
Worst drivers in EU - in my experience - are the French. The folks in the south are dangerous, but the people in Paris are sheer nutcases. :D

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
foreign drivers always end up on the high street in canterbury some how

megadave

I am a FH squatter
lower the speed limits for anyone driving a white van and the roads will be much safer

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Some of the worst drivers I've seen are British

In no order

1. Young Asian (by that I mean of the Sub Continent) Males
2. White Van Driviers (usually White Males 30-50, top off, tattoos, Sun readers)
3. Mini cab drivers
4. Young Black Men
5. Middle Aged Black Women
6. Flat Bed Truck Drivers (usually White Males 30-50, oh wait, same as White Van Yobbo, but worse - they're builders, not just couriers)
7. Old White Men (nothing against driving slow, but 20 mph in a 40 zone is annoying)
8. Chavs with under-car neon lighting

...and when was the last time you saw a Chinese person driving a car in London? Do they own cars?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
no they spend all their money on cameras and pamphlets

Olgaline

FH is my second home
BlondeWishingWell.jpg

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
well this all seems very nice butta...

would u wanne de do the same when u go on holliday and decide to rent a car for a couple of days?

rent a car here? sure.. heres an exam... 500€ please:p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
well this all seems very nice butta...

would u wanne de do the same when u go on holliday and decide to rent a car for a couple of days?

Point i was gonna make too.

It's easy to throw "they should learn how to drive here", but you'd be hellbent to wreck some heads britain style if they asked you to do it in another country for your vacation.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
You have no idea how fking hard it is to drive on the left side when you're used to driving on the right side. Atleast for the first couple of days orso. Even crossing the road (walking) is dangerous and almost took my fathers life. Because you're used to looking the other way for traffic.

Oh I know. I was cyclign in Belgium/Germany recently and ended up on the wrong side of the road a couple of times by default...till the penny dropped. Even when concentrating and on the proper side of the road, it seems like there's always a blind spot where you're not used to checking or look but just don't see. I also turned off left into oncoming traffic even tho I was looking everywhere - blind spot. Good job the guy ahead was more alert than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom