Forcing AA and AF in DAOC - HOW?!

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
Right another thread..

I'm trying to get AA+SSAA and AF to work with daoc, and it has worked for me before after some fiddling but seems I always forget what I done in the past to get it to work.

We all know daoc has no ingame aa or af so it has to be forced on driver level via the .exe.

I have tried that but I think I'm forcing it on the wrong .exe, see the one in the daoc folder named camelot.exe that one starts the patch client, then something else runs the actual game.

I have encountered this when running on the shards, where you obviously don't use the standard .exe to launch the game but a portal, and hence forcing it on the game .exe didn't work either, but I had to globally force whatever setting I wanted. But this game .exe forcing should work on the actual game without any middleman programs interfearing, but it doesn't and I know for sure that it has in the past, noth on Nvidia and ATI.

In the past AA and AF have worked flawlessly for me on a 8800 GTX
Worked with some minor glitches on a 4870x2
And I have gotten it to work on a SLI'd 465 GTX system aswell but now ( today ) it simply won't work.

Does anyone else inhere run the game with aa+af on or you live with the jaggies? They are horrible :(

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
/edit

As I suspected to get aa, af, ambient occolusion and SSAA to work in daoc you have to force it in general settings ( nvidia ) since the actual launcher isn't directly connected with the launch program sequence it seems, just like it wouldn't be in my freeshard scenario. Ah well as I said if you want aa+af you have to force it in general settings, and if you want tripplebuffering and vsynch ( to cap 60 fps ) you need to use rivatuners built in plugin called d3doverrider and force it via that application.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Ccc works for me. Is there no force settings with nvidia?

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved

shh dave ur avoiding me on msn cant just swoop in on my threads like this not kewl x<

Hows the new comp :p?

/edit

Also I have to warn you that if you are using latest MsnLive you need to create an exclusion of the program within D3Doverrider since it goes C R A Z Y if you force tripplebuffring on it aswell, so make an exclusion of it and your fine.

Might aswell tell you how to make one, right. Just go into the program and click on the most left icon that says something like create new profile, find the messenger.exe and then make sure vsynch and tripplebuffering is OFF, then press "ok" or "save" or w/e it says and your set.

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved

Yah well one of the main reasons I couldn't be arsed with ati this time around was the stupid CCC where there are no easy profiles, but with daoc it doesn't seem to work any better on Nvidia either so..hey ho.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I did it on my machine, but maybe you used the wrong .exe?

I think you need to assign the setting to the game.dll because that's what the actual game is. I also remember that you could bypass the patcher by simply starting the game.dll ;)

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
I did it on my machine, but maybe you used the wrong .exe?

I think you need to assign the setting to the game.dll because that's what the actual game is. I also remember that you could bypass the patcher by simply starting the game.dll ;)

Oh really? Hmm I need to try that since kinda sucks having to force settings globally..

You said the game.dll hmm, how do you start the game from the game.dll? Or maybe you don't have to if you force graphic settings on that .dll and then launch normally from the camelot.exe running the patcher/client?

I cba to make scripts I have to run each time I wanna start the game, or well I would but I'd like to avoid all that :)

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
Right I have figured this out now.

All I had to do was go into the daoc folder, find the game.dll rename it to game.dll.exe.

Then fire up NVCP, add that "fake" .dll.exe to the list and then force 64x SLI aa and 16x SSA :eek:, save that.

Then rename that game.dll.exe back to its original state as game.dll and now I can have profile managed aa and af settings for daoc with nvidia without having to force anything globally.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
If you start the game from the command prompt, you can simply go to %DAoCdir%\ and then type game.dll and then press enter. At least it used to work like that, but I haven't done it for ages ;) What I definitely know is that the game.dll is the actual game, as your setting thing has shown ;)

I remember having it easier though, when I did that. I could simply add the game.dll to the nVidia settings and force then. That .exe thing seems strange to me.

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
If you start the game from the command prompt, you can simply go to %DAoCdir%\ and then type game.dll and then press enter. At least it used to work like that, but I haven't done it for ages ;) What I definitely know is that the game.dll is the actual game, as your setting thing has shown ;)

I remember having it easier though, when I did that. I could simply add the game.dll to the nVidia settings and force then. That .exe thing seems strange to me.

Well the problem is that when you in the NVCP and chose "add" it will only display files with the .exe extension, can't change to "show all files" or anything remotly close. So my workaround was to change the file extension to .exe and it showed, I added it then changed it back to its original state and the nvcp updated it to show it as game.dll.

Forcing aa, af, ssa works 100% now and I can use the regular camelot.exe or any other DR, catacombs .exe to launch and get aa and af displayed. Seems more like the guys over at NV mocked up and no longer know that daoc is ran off the game.dll and not the actual camelot.exe wich only fires up the patcher wich then triggers the game.dll.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Well the problem is that when you in the NVCP and chose "add" it will only display files with the .exe extension, can't change to "show all files" or anything remotly close. So my workaround was to change the file extension to .exe and it showed, I added it then changed it back to its original state and the nvcp updated it to show it as game.dll.

Well that sucks, but glad the rest works =)

Sneakers<>Matriarch

One of Freddy's beloved
bumping my own post so I can find it easier in my own post statistics next time I need to know :)

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
WTB Before and After with in game Screenshot, tyvm !!

Nate

FH is my second home
You don't have to do the rename thing.

In the nvcp > manage 3d settings > program settings > add

find the folder

type game.dll

open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom