For bloody clarifications sake!

O

old.Tohtori

Ok i'm not that angry but just wondering in a calm and collected manner that where on earth do terms like "Gimp" and "Nerf" come from. Are those the words? What are the true and infact meanings? Is there a history?

Like take lol for instance, that is very clear, laughs out loud. But Nerf? Not Entirely Ready For-use? Gimp? Good In My Pook? And what the hell does "in my pook" even mean? That's jsut wrong....someone explain and -Pathfinder-, whatever you are thikning of posting in your very famous way, unless it's something about those two words...i'm warning you..Big Eviul Sheepmaster is still hungry :p

I

ivan_tribbiani

Honestly i dont know.. its prolly another case of language being simplified to apes level. The rate at which our communication is being degraded is apalling.

F

Flimgoblin

nerf is as in nerf guns... (foam weaponry)
Either it's someone saying nerf instead of nuke (waah they nuked my abilities) or they're meaning their abilities have been turned into foam :)

"I say we go back to the dropship and nerf this site from orbit."

Gimp I'm guessing originated with Pulp Fiction
"Bring out the gimp."

but there could be other roots.

S

SFXman

Nerf... comes from the guns I guess, hehe... but still it means to make something weaker or maybe even destroy it. In DAoC's case it is targeted at some class for example...

Gimp, I have heard the word gimp plenty of times before... it is a regular english language word you know, well at least in american english (don't know about the strange english english though).
Gimp is someone who can't get things right for example in DAoC when they fuck up their specs making themselves a gimp. Then again some classes are gimps all along, thus we get names of classes changed to things like "gimpadin" etc. ;)

O

old.Tohtori

So...
Nerf=Busted up

Gimped= Fucked up

right?

O

old.tRoG

you are correct sir!

*waits for sickofit to make a TEH PWICE post*

T

Tenko

Bring out the Tohtori

The Tohtori's sleeping

Then wake him up then

:p

G

gengi

all right

NERF is from the foam projectile guns, gimp as has been stated is in common use. I believe it was brought into mainstream use from fetishdom, gimps usually wear masks and get beaten alot. Not being an expert in the field I will leave it for some of our more adventurous posters will give a more detailed explanation.
Later
Gengee:D

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Re: all right

Originally posted by gengi
I believe it was brought into mainstream use from fetishdom, gimps usually wear masks and get beaten alot. Not being an expert in the field I will leave it for some of our more adventurous posters will give a more detailed explanation.

Where is Pathfinder when you need him? ;)

Oh - another well known term: to do a Brannor
ie. artificially inseminating a horse by shoving up the semen with a mailed troll fist... owch.

O

old.Gombur Glodson

I heard Brannor rerolled as a skald since he was prohibited from using the horse routes.
Poor horsies

T

Troryn

well more questions here then

where does Soz come from? I know it means sorry, but where does it originate?

P

- Pathfinder -

Re: Re: all right

Originally posted by sickofit...

Where is Pathfinder when you need him? ;)

I smell sarcasm :m00:

Oh - another well known term: to do a Brannor
ie. artificially inseminating a horse by shoving up the semen with a mailed troll fist... owch.

We didn't really need to know this :eek:

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Troryn
well more questions here then

where does Soz come from? I know it means sorry, but where does it originate?

Soz, plz, thx, ty... all of that enrages me deeply and ensures that the 1337 freak attempting to communicate with me receives neither arms buff nor gold. I turn around, kickstart Effervescence and run off...

ph34r teh 1337 - stupid is taking over.

T

Troryn

sickofit I agree, I would still like to know how Sorry got turned into soz though

N

Nala Lionne

Soz is different tho Sickofit... cos it gets used in verbal english too :eek:

Don't hear many people walking around saying "ty" :m00:

Not that the use of soz should be encouraged.... Oh, and Troryn, i'm not sure, its just something that english kids say a lot :rolleyes: Kinda like ta I guess.

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by sickofit...

Soz, plz, thx, ty... all of that enrages me deeply and ensures that the 1337 freak attempting to communicate with me receives neither arms buff nor gold. I turn around, kickstart Effervescence and run off...

ph34r teh 1337 - stupid is taking over.

Actually the lol, soz, ty, wb, brb, afk, dna, bmw, gna, snu, rva, AoE, DoT have come with the internet. Since people are too lazy to say, for instance in an Irc channel, be right back when they have to jet for a short moment, and perhaps not only because they are lazy but because brb is much faster it spreaded and here we are. l337 talk is a different thing all together and hells bovines only know ehre that comes from. :D

I

ivan_tribbiani

Yeah ok but these are abbriviations of words ie brb be right back etc etc etc. What the heck is soz then ? Enlighten me :)

O

old.Tohtori

Isn't it clear? Sorry Of Zoo. It was originally a post someone made when they let a chat-channel go bonkers, aka, let it go zoo. There :p

I

ivan_tribbiani

Why does this have to be sooooo immensely complicated ? Cant it just be like this.... I w t t b t b m t ---> would mean something like i went to the bathroom to brush my teeth .... rather simple :)

B

Breni

Soz has been around way before the popular use of the internet. I was using it as a kid 20 years ago.

It's just the way language gets corrupted over time, I suppose - abbreviations whilst typing are different. After all, it is much faster to type something like rofl than rolls on the floor laughing.

As for l33t talk. I couldn't care less where it comes from, so long as it's not used seriously around me. I don't mind people taking the piss, but actually conversing that way? -shudder-

As far as I know, it evolved from the Quake/Quake II scene, but I can't verify that - I wouldn't want to. Can you imagine researching it? I'd probably :puke: before I even get halfway through.

So long as we're talking language, how many people know the origins of the word 'fuck'?

I

ivan_tribbiani

I dont hold linguistic diploma <higher education one at least> and English aint my First language so i cant really contemplate on that matter, sorry.

O

old.Tohtori

I've heard one legend about the 3l337 talk that it was once used by the "uber" players in Quake, or some other, and was considered "glorious way of speach" until all the "eviul n00bs" came along and stole it from the Grandmaster Players. BUt it's jsut a legend, i don't believe in that and still think "3l337" is a goverment plot. A conspiracy!

N

Nala Lionne

Wasn't fuck derived from a german word? I seem to recall hearing that .... :m00: :rolleyes:

O

old.Tohtori

Fornication Under the Concent(?) of the King

Something to do with mídeaval times and having to have a permission to have sex...oslt

B

Brinx

Elite (I refuse to type the numbers on principle) speak originates from hackers (as in actual hackers rather than modern kids with a redhat distro, nmap and a couple of common scripts) when back when to, I would image, make it harder for lusers to understand them.

Unfortunately it got taken up by the masses (mostly teenagers no doubt) and eventually spread into FPS games. When I originally played Q1 and 2 there was very little of it because most players tended to be 20+. Anyone who couldn't play matches past 10pm because their parents made them go to bed or couldn't type coherent English wasn't taken very seriously :)

Over the years though it seems to have gone from before less frowned upon to being increasing fashionable and widespread, and obviously spreading to MMORPGs. I'd like to think it'll go out of fashion and kids might learn that substituting rubbish characters into the English language isn't the best way of conveying a message but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

I'm told a lot of the more MMO specific terms come from MUDs though.

P

- Pathfinder -

Originally posted by Brinx

I'm told a lot of the more MMO specific terms come from MUDs though.

They do :) For instance, con is short for consider killing ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom