Flat Tyre - Bicycle?

Nate

FH is my second home
Hey guys, I bought a Specialized Hardrock Pro in 2007

prod_2688.jpg

I've got a flat tyre! I'm wondering if it's like a normal bike tyre as it looks like it's stuck on to the wheel..and I'm sure I remember being told it doesn't have an inner tube as such. That link says it's a Specialized Resolution 26x2.1 inch with wire bead and googling wire bead shows a noinnertubeylookingtyreythingymabob. So should I attempt to take it off or take it in to get it repaired?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
does it have the letters UST anywhere on the tyre? if it does, best to take it in to your LBS, because inflating it again after patching may require an air compressor. ofc they will be glad to help you out.

if it doesn't, make sure your tyre is fully deflated, and pinch the sides where it meets the rim together into the center to ease inserting a tyre lever to get it off in the regular fashion. while you're doing this, be careful as whatever has given you the flat may still be around so pay attention and don't cut yourself :)

also, best to use plastic tyre levers, or very very good coated metal ones lest you damage your rims.

edit: as your tyres are wire beaded, they may be quite tight on the rim, and perhaps a bit of a pain to get off. this holds especially true if you've never done it before. good luck!

Nate

FH is my second home
It didn't have UST on it so took it to pieces! turns out it does have an inner tube ;o I used a spoon, had some damage but carefaced it! My plastic tyre levers broke as soon as I started trying to pull it out :( Now all I have to do is hope that the Esso(1950's looking) puncture repair kit works :D Or it's driving to work again for me :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I used a spoon, had some damage but carefaced it!

harsh dude o0

remember to put it back on with your hands. levers are just to get the tyre off the rim. if you do not comply you may puncture your freshly patched tube, and then you'll have to do it all over again :)

anyway it should have stretched a bit in the removing so things will be easier!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The tyre levers broke because each side of the tyre will be sitting in a little groove on the rim. To remove the tyre you must first ensure the bead (that's the hard edge on the tyre that sits in the rim) on each side is not sat in that groove.

Once you've done that, it should push off with only your thumbs.

When you've found and repaired the hole (remember, the 'glue' isn't glue, you have to let it dry and go tacky before you apply the patch), run your fingers around the inside of the tyre to find whatever caused the puncture. If you don't, it'll go again. If there are 2 holes on the inner tube, you've been running the tyre at too low a pressure.

BTW, Aldi are doing some track pumps with gauges for about £6. Go get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom