flashing across screen

O

old.daytrader

in unreal tourniment i get flashing across screen especially in the option set up screen looks like picture is trying to refresh it self and can see what picture is underneath briefly i have latest version 428 . please help also get it in motorcross madness 2

L

luap

Looks like crap Vid card or drivers. What's yer PC spec?

O

old.daytrader

i have geforce 2 gts 64ram latest drivers and amd 850 thunderbird 256ram .games like quake 3 and half-life are ok thou,thanks for replying as well , also something different when using gamespy i cant seem to download ut or half-lifes master servers for barrysworld any help here. thanks

O

old.[SS]hol

Try the UT ingame browser..

press escape, multiplayer/find internet games

And create youreself a favourites list so it doesnt spend forever updating all the time.

-hol

T

Testin da Cable

yah I get it too : 428 patch/latest detonator drivers geforce DDR.
the screen flashes/shows two pictures superimposed.

it's almost as if I am viewing the frontbuffer and backbuffer at the same time.

I've never had it before a couple of weeks ago.

strange

-tdc

O

old.Cryton

Press TAB or ~ and type Preferences.

Choose Rendering-->D3D-->Vsync

Set this to false. See if this sorts your problem.

O

old.Cryton

That is of course assuming you're using Direct3D as your rendering API :)

If you use OpenGL or something else then look under the relevant section for the Vsync entry.

T

Testin da Cable

Been there m8. didn't solve it for me.

I no longer think it's a configuration problem tho.

The vage idea i have is that 428 doesn't want to work with the latest nvidia detonator openGL driver. [anyone able to verify/deny??]

This happens: at random times the display starts to flash two images superimposed. This does not return to normal until I restart UT. I haven't been able to find an event that triggers the error tho it seems to happen alot when I play online and a game ends and the server switches levels.

more info: winNT/sp6a,256MB,creative geforceDDR,dual celeron@500MHz on Asus BP6 motherbord UT with 428 patch.
Ran Linux [RH6.2/Slack7.0] before and didn't have a single problem. Also W98 on one CPU runs fine.

I'm goint to jump back to the previous driver/patch and experiment from there.

Unfortunately I have to run NT at the mo' on this machine so I can't switch back quickly.

I think I'm going to put this one out to the Epic bugswatters/UT sites to see if anyone can confirm/deny/help.

-tdc

O

old.Cryton

I had issues with 428 on my TNT2 Ultra. It won't go fullscreen.

Have you tried using a different D3DDRV.DLL?

This file can be found in ../UnrealTournament/System.

Check this address: http://unreal.epicgames.com/direct3d.htm as it has a number of D3DDRV.DLL files that you could try to get better speed.

DONT DELETE YOUR ORIGINAL D3DDRV.DLL - rename it to something like D3DDRV-Original-428.DLL so you know what it is. Then try the other versions on that web page.

All you have to do is copy the file into the ../UnrealTournament/System and load UT. You don't have to reboot the machine to use the new DLL.

O

old.daytrader

cant get 85hz refresh rate

only get 60hz refresh rate in counterstrike half-life, i get 85hz in all my other games. any ideal how to get 85hz, i have set my adapter setting to 85hz but still displays couterstrike at 60hz, plus i get flashing in ut and i have 420 patch, i have also gone into direct 7 and override refresh rate to 85 as well. please help thanks

O

old.Cryton

Refresh rates in Windows is crap.

The refresh rate that you select using

Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Display-->Settings-->Advanced-->Adapter

is only set for that resolution and colour depth

So say Windows is at 1024x786, 32 bit colour. You set the refresh rate to 85 Hz.

If you changed windows to 16 bit colour, or changed resolution then the refresh rate would default to 60Hz or something.

What you have to do is change Windows to the Screen Resolution and Colour Depth (16 bit or 32 bit) to what you use when playing UT. Then set the refresh rate to what you want. Then change windows back to what you are used to.

Some resolutions in UT are not available in windows (960x820 or whatever it is can be used in UT, but not in windows) - so you must use a UT resolution that Windows uses.

O

old.Cryton

Oops - replace all references to UT to HL:CS :)

O

old.daytrader

refresh rate

thanks for getting back cryton so quick, my windows settings are 1024 x 768 at 32bit colour 85hz refresh rate,so surely when i chose this setting for all my games it should stay the same , in q3 and ut stays at 85hz , but half-life/counterstrike it goes down to 60hz what ever i do. i have even put 85hz refresh rate in override box on direct 7 . thanks again chris/daytrader

O

old.Cryton

So assuming you play HL at 1024 x 768 x 32bit then I am afraid I am out of ideas.

What rendering API do you use with HL (D3D/OpenGL/Glide/Metal/etc)?

'fraid I've never played HL so I can't really suggest anything..

O

old.daytrader

refresh rate

surely you have played couterstrike you dont know what your missing, anyway it uses direct 3d. thanks for replying

F

ferral

How do u check you refresh rate in halflife then?

T

Testin da Cable

UT images getting fscked

I'm starting to be quite sure it's a prob wiv the Nvidia Detonator/openGL/428 combo.

ref: I happend to have a disk crash yesterday [raah! these things always happen at the wrong moments] so I had to reinstall..anyway to make a short story long I couldn't get online so I had to use my 'old' gForce driver from Creative [can't remember the number].

Well... other than the performance totally sucking it worked fine, and continued to work fine after I got online and did all kinds of stuff like changing resolution/color depth in the middle of a game etc.

Anyhoo UT didn't bomb once during 4 hrs of intense use wiv the older Creative driver on NT.

My new plan is to upgrade slowly to a point where
Unreal starts to crash and then I'll have my problem.

I'll let you know...

-tdc

O

old.daytrader

rerfesh and flashing across screem

i still got flashing even when i used 420 patch in ut , i also get it bad in motorcross madness 2 as well. i use 5.22 drivers i dont like detonator 6.22 makes images blurry i think , to find out refresh rate when playing the game you should have a button on front of monotor that should alow you to see your probably have to flick through them to find the right one . please when anyone findes out flashing problem or refresh rate problem please let me know . thanks
you should be useing d3d for ut as opengl for ut is for testing or trial purposes i thought not quiet sure though

[Edited by daytrader on 22-09-00 at 12:45]

T

Testin da Cable

yah I know but gotta use it cos windoze NT doesn't like D3D. AND I'm stuck with NT till monday.
AND I wanna play UT.
play UT
play UT
play UT

dammit.

there. got it off my chest.

-tdc
haha

T

Testin da Cable

aha!

well I have a sollution, be it a partial one.
actually it's not even a fix.

I [umm] got a copy of win2kPRO and installed. After the usual s*it everything seemed to be in order.
Now I have the best of both worlds [at least thats what microsoft sez]

Tho I must say 2k looks fine. And the stuff I needed NT for work. And I'm back on D3D. And UT works too.

And how. I had to go down to 433Mhz for the processors but this is what I get: 800x600 32bit color@~40FPS with detonator version 6.18, 08/11/2000 for win2k. Normal install, no tweaks [as yet].
Gotta say, for the record, I was _very_ impressed with the performance of UT on win2k. The game runs smooth as silk on my rig wiv nary a stutter when I get blasted 6 ways from sunday. I'd even go as far as to say it runs better than w98.

Thats it for me.

-tdc

[in my happy place]

O

old.SUp3rFM

UT runs on W2k quite well with 128mb ram, 256 is recommended. The thing about w2k is its stability. That crap *never* crashes. Have it since build 2195 was released, that's the one i'm running, it only crashed for 3 times. UT crashed it for 2 times ;)

My comp is 24/7 on, ftp and www server... and at night.. turns into my vehicle for massive carnage (running ut and kickin' ur ass
buck.gif
)

bottom line: haven't noticed any loss of performance vs w98. As far as I can say and know, w2k is much better than w98.. altough, some games won't run in it... But if u can run UT quite well, who cares?

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by SUp3rFM
But if u can run UT quite well, who cares?

Exactly SUp3rFM :)

Gotta say [again] w2k runs sweet. Can't wait to see it on my new comp thats arriving soon :))

kickin' my ass hmmm? well...I'll show you my cannon if you show me yours hehe.

-tdc

O

old.SUp3rFM

testin', It seems we have to arrange something
angry.gif

Meet me down BW UT:RA servers
rocketwhore.gif

hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom