Fitness

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Just been evaluating my life - been one of those days :p

- Quit Dark Age (woo go me)

And im wanting to do something with my life. Im 19 almost 20, not really fit and im wanting to get fit - gunna start jogging I think. Im also wanting to take up a martial art - but i have no idea which one to choose.

My question to you generalites - those of you who do martial arts - which one do you do, and would you reccomend it to a newbie :p

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Kaz Arashi Ryu Windstorm way. Samurai martial art. Fairly aggressive, usually ends with a decapitation move (never went that far)

Good if you can find someone to teach you

Hako Ryu as an alternative. This ones totally self defense.

Closest to either of these is Akido

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
~Yuckfou~ said:
Start gently, Origami should do it.

I agree ;) Could reccomend you kickboxing, that will definitely keep you fit. Try punching the bag for 3 minutes straight, non stop, doing combos .. you will feel the fat burning :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Karate is popular and can certainly keep you fit, I would combine it with regular CV exercise too, but keep to stretching rather than muscle building with weights.

Kickboxing and Karate are similar in terms of exercise, but Kickboxing will come with CV techniques as well, and you'll look like a girl when you start that skipping :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Tai Chi is good, fairly gentle to start with, it certainly gets you fit, and it does build muscles a bit due to the way you have to move slowly, in a controlled manner. Also when you are practising it doesn't take up too much space, and looks fairly funky! I'd still be doing it, but I just don't have the time.

Oh yes, I almost forgot, it also includes using weapons like the tai chi sword!

Lynchet

Fledgling Freddie
Tai Chi sword ?

As Eddie Izzard pointed out isnt Tai Chi a bit slow for actual use in defence -by the time you have done one move they will have kicked the shit out of you and run off with your wallet ;)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Brynn said:

And im wanting to do something with my life. Im 19 almost 20, not really fit and im wanting to get fit - gunna start jogging I think. Im also wanting to take up a martial art - but i have no idea which one to choose.

My question to you generalites - those of you who do martial arts - which one do you do, and would you reccomend it to a newbie :p

Depends what you want from the martial art.

I would recommend Tae Kwon Do. Superior to Karate and should allow you increased suppleness and fitness

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I've made to a 1st Dan in FBNT Style. For those that don't know it's full title is - Fat Bast*** No Technique Style. Works well for me :D

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Lazarus said:
Depends what you want from the martial art.

I would recommend Tae Kwon Do. Superior to Karate and should allow you increased suppleness and fitness

Yea i emailed the Captain of my University Tae Kwon Do club and hopefully he will get back to me.

/side note just been for a wee jog - and i feel great :D

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I'll second Taekwon Do, it's a lot of fun. The classes I got to are mixed, sometimes there'll be an emphasis on CV work (90 seconds spaing with an oponenent, followed by 15 pressups/situps/etc, followed by another 90 seconds hard spa-ing etc), but others you'll get a lot of work on flexibility and stretching. As I say, it's a lot of fun though. I just got my second grading back, so I think I'm getting well into it :)

Will

/bin/su
I went to ninjitsu once, a few weeks ago. Very good for CV, but I broke a rib, so maybe not one for the beginners. Tai Chi is good fun, and some classes do teach it in a practical way, but the CV side is almost non-existant.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I do Karate (wado-ryu) and cycle.

I also recommend you get a girlfriend and pork her a lot, thats good for CV.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Xtro said:
I do Karate (wado-ryu) and cycle.

I also recommend you get a girlfriend and pork her a lot, thats good for CV.

have a girlfriend - however she lives 200 miles down the road - so i only see her at weekends :p

leggy

Probably Scottish
Watch out then, the guy that is porking her will be getting fitter than you.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
There's a lot of confusion in this thread between martial arts and martial sports.

*anger*

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Brynn said:
have a girlfriend - however she lives 200 miles down the road - so i only see her at weekends :p

That's one LONG fucking road - maybe you are a Roman?

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Xtro said:
That's one LONG fucking road - maybe you are a Roman?

nah she is at uni in Edinburgh, im at uni in Aberdeen. See each other at weekends.

So i need something to do while here :p

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
I've been interested in martial arts myself for a while now, only tried a basic class a couple of times though. The main one i'm intrigued by is Kai Bo (i think that's what it's called anyway) where you fight with swords/sticks. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Swift^ said:
There's a lot of confusion in this thread between martial arts and martial sports.

*anger*

Seems like more of a confusion between martial arts and marital arts at the moment.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:
nah she is at uni in Edinburgh, im at uni in Aberdeen. See each other at weekends.

So i need something to do while here :p

You got fucking skanked then.

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
For the martial art/sport (if your going to be truthful there is no martial ary as it budo and not bojutsu or summat like that i can never remember the correct terms) any way if your wanting to get fit go for one that concentrates on striking such as karate or kick boxing, as it is much more effective at cardio vascular work out. How ever i recommend ju-jitsu or judo for improving muscular stamina and generally kicking the crap out of people (more fun too :D )

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:

What about Feng Shui?

Limber up your eyes reading the books, then engage in some gentle exercise as you rearrange your furniture.

You may not end up as fit as you wanted to be, but you should feel better about that.

This also means that, if you graduate to a contact sport, you'll better understand how to rearrange their faces.

:eek7:

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Im sorted, going to university Tae Kwon Do - tuesdays and thursdays :D

i will be a buff fighting machine in no time :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Paradroid said:
This also means that, if you graduate to a contact sport, you'll better understand how to rearrange their faces.

Comedy gold :D

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Lynchet said:
Tai Chi sword ?

As Eddie Izzard pointed out isnt Tai Chi a bit slow for actual use in defence -by the time you have done one move they will have kicked the shit out of you and run off with your wallet ;)

Lol! The movements you go through may be slow, but that is just practise, building up 'muscle memory'. If you actually see two tai chi pratisioners spar, it's a hell of a lot faster, not as fast as some other martial arts, as it's about flexibility & power (using your muscles to their utmost) and being an immovable object (from the stances), except of course when you want to be!

The weapons are just an extension of the forms, sword being the most popular one. Linkie to one here:

http://blades-uk.com/search_results.php?q=tai+chi

I like tai chi, as it's nice and gentle on the joints, makes you *very* flexible :sex: (not yoga flexible though), and doesn't *seem* to involve much effort, but you're always knackered afterwards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom