first digital economy bill and now this...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
That is just part of the DE bill isn't it? It's all one, not separate entities.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope it is a separate code of conduct being set up by ofcom, it's ridiculous, for example:

Initially the code will only apply to ISPs that have more than 400,000 customers. This includes BT, Talk Talk, Virgin Media, Sky, Orange, O2 and the Post Office.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
But it's coming in to play at the same time? It's Ofcom's initiative, yes, but they're only doing it because this bill is coming in.

rynnor

Rockhound
I dont see how its practical tbh - how does an ISP know your downloading a copyrighted torrent unless its going to hold a list of the codes of every possible version of every copyrighted piece of work?

One of my friends got a letter accusing him of downloading some film he'd never heard of - he looked into it and he'd actually downloaded something else (legally) that had the same code - the ISP had just assumed it was the copyrighted film on their list :p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm thankful that my ISP is small enough to go under the radar of most of these suggestions.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I dont see how its practical tbh - how does an ISP know your downloading a copyrighted torrent unless its going to hold a list of the codes of every possible version of every copyrighted piece of work?

One of my friends got a letter accusing him of downloading some film he'd never heard of - he looked into it and he'd actually downloaded something else (legally) that had the same code - the ISP had just assumed it was the copyrighted film on their list :p

Its really targeting torrents. Companies like dtecnet will seed or track uploads back to their IP addresses. Since the tracker tells you what the file is anyway, its actually pretty easy. They will then send the ISP the "offending" IP address, and the ISP can work out which account was using it at the time. This is the thing, its very difficult to track downloads accurately, but since all torrent software automatically uploads as well, bingo, nice and easy and pretty accurate. There are of course, lots of ways to spoof this process.

rynnor

Rockhound
If downloading was really stopped (hypothetical scenario) wouldnt it hurt the ISPs?

Surely people who pay a premium for 50 meg lines are largely downloaders so presumably this would kill the demand - it might even push people onto mobile broadband since the bandwidth limits wouldnt be an issue and its more convenient?

Chilly

Balls of steel
nah rynnor, its like cars. no one needs anything better than a metro (or maybe a van for big stuff) but people buy bugattis anyway.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If downloading was really stopped (hypothetical scenario) wouldnt it hurt the ISPs?

Surely people who pay a premium for 50 meg lines are largely downloaders so presumably this would kill the demand - it might even push people onto mobile broadband since the bandwidth limits wouldnt be an issue and its more convenient?

MBB isn't necessarily exempt anyway, but there are plenty of legit reasons for having a decent bb package anyway (iPlayer, Spotify, lots more to come), so no, I don't think it will hurt the ISPs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm thankful that my ISP is small enough to go under the radar of most of these suggestions.

What'll happen is that retards will read this news and move to smaller ISPs before the government suddenly moves its target and boom, down they go.

The way around it is to find a better way to pirate. :)

Athan

Resident Freddy
But it's coming in to play at the same time? It's Ofcom's initiative, yes, but they're only doing it because this bill is coming in.

Indeed the time-line I read for the DE Bill when it passed in the Commons mentioned that the first stages were OfComm putting together recommendations for what ISPs needed to do and the general procedures. So this is that.

Yeah, given the threshold is so high at 400k subscribers there aren't many ISPs going to be affected. Now I'm wondering just how many Zen Internet have ....

And I really must get around to finding out why a Linux equivalent of peerblock doesn't work (something's not right with using netlink to handle passed packets in user space). Why? Because if DaGaffer is correct that only uploading to a tracking IP will cause a problem then simply blocking those IPs (as they become known) will offer protection. Of course looking at the 'Known Threat's peerblock list it was for the most part simply full of *ALL* company networks people could find.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Indeed the time-line I read for the DE Bill when it passed in the Commons mentioned that the first stages were OfComm putting together recommendations for what ISPs needed to do and the general procedures. So this is that.

Yeah, given the threshold is so high at 400k subscribers there aren't many ISPs going to be affected. Now I'm wondering just how many Zen Internet have ....

And I really must get around to finding out why a Linux equivalent of peerblock doesn't work (something's not right with using netlink to handle passed packets in user space). Why? Because if DaGaffer is correct that only uploading to a tracking IP will cause a problem then simply blocking those IPs (as they become known) will offer protection. Of course looking at the 'Known Threat's peerblock list it was for the most part simply full of *ALL* company networks people could find.

*cough* peerblock *cough*

Athan

Resident Freddy
*cough* peerblock *cough*

That's not going to work too well on my linux box now is it? Really I just need to get off my arse and see what's up with MoBlock. I suspect the kernel I'm running needs an updated version of the netfilter libraries....

On the other hand if anyone knows of a working solution for this for *nix I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom