Firewall

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
OK, my trial of Outpost 2.1 has expired. They were rather cheeky and had the 1.0 autoupdate update to a trial version, but I accept that sitting on an old Firewall for a long time isn't a good thing, so it's "stump up some cash" time.

However, since I'm stumping up cash, this suddenly opens up a wave of other options to choose from.

So, the choice is: Outpost 2.1 (£20, with special discount). Like it, liked 1.0 too.

Norton (respect the company, like their Anti-Virus (which also needs updating, so might be able to get a double pack thingy).

McAfee?

Recommendations and why please people. the XP Firewall is switched on until I get a decision :)

Ta,

Ben

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I've always been fond of Kerio Personal Firewall too, again free.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I'll give Kerio a look, thanks. ZoneAlarm I moved away from because I liked the logging in Outpost, I still prescribe it to other people, but I outgrew it in my own special way.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'd wait until SP2 which is due out shortly and give the new XP firewall a go, it gives ZA more than a run for the money and of course nicely integrates into the OS, doing things 3rd parties currently are unable.

If you don't want to wait for SP2 to go final then SP2 RC2 is due shortly under public trial, we've tested RC1 extensively and have found no issues so far.

Xav

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I tried to install RC1 on the machine back home to try and fix a recurring BSOD. The installer crashed trying to copy a WMP example playlist. Wasn't impressed.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
lol, ta Andrew.

Well, I poked and got myself a license for Outpost 2.1 for £19 (Norton was looking like £35 to buy online). Ta for the comments people.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I have been using ZoneAlarm and have been really pleased with it! I think its a superb piece of software.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how McAfee's Firewall compares? The only reason is cos Zone Alarm doesnt go well with McAfee Antivirus! :(

I hate Norton as it just drives me mad with some of its "features"

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
dysfunction said:
I have been using ZoneAlarm and have been really pleased with it! I think its a superb piece of software.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how McAfee's Firewall compares? The only reason is cos Zone Alarm doesnt go well with McAfee Antivirus! :(

I hate Norton as it just drives me mad with some of its "features"

I don't know about the McAfee firewall, but the latest version of ZA Pro has built-in support for some of the major antivirus products (including McAfee).

I've just ditched ZA Pro and AVG pro in favour of the Norton Internet Security offering; no complaints so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom